IGNORED

"Dragonfly" preorder

rj1307

For those interested, I am willing to sell mine (pokey+YM). I used it once. As I spend more time with the family, I have less time with my hobbies. I am sure somebody who can appreciate it can put that beast in a better use. I will put a post on trade forums with photos etc.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, Wessyman said:

I would like the red with optional pokey max chip.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:36 AM, rj1307 said:

I would like to clarify that I am not a producer of PokeyMax modules and I have no influence on its availability. Cortex-M4 systems that are used there are four times more expensive, there is also a problem with their availability. It is unknown if and when PokeyMax will be re-produced.

Unfortunately, I also have a problem with the availability of parts, as of today, Dragonfly cartridges are not available. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've got another stupid psu question. I'm really struggling to find a psu for UK with all the requirements. Does it have to be 1.5a? I've got a 1.2a with the jaguar and even a 1.22a for my replacement gx4000 plug, but nothing 1.5a or more that is centre negative. Anyone else in the UK able to recommend anything? 

13 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

I've got another stupid psu question. I'm really struggling to find a psu for UK with all the requirements. Does it have to be 1.5a? I've got a 1.2a with the jaguar and even a 1.22a for my replacement gx4000 plug, but nothing 1.5a or more that is centre negative. Anyone else in the UK able to recommend anything? 

The Dragonfly requires a center positive PSU not negative. I know this because I'm using a PSU designed for a Sega Genesis with mine and I had to cut the wire and reverse them to change the polarity since those earlier SEGA systems were center negative polarity. 

I'm using a 1.3A output Center positive PSU with my DF and using the pass through power cable from the DF to power on the 7800. But I changed out the original linear voltage regulator in my 7800 with a DC-DC switching regulator. Doing that, allows the 7800 to only require half as much current as it did originally so 1.3A from the DF is more than enough to power everything.

But first things first! You need a Center positive PSU...not negative!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The Dragonfly requires a center positive PSU not negative. I know this because I'm using a PSU designed for a Sega Genesis with mine and I had to cut the wire and reverse them to change the polarity since those earlier SEGA systems were center negative polarity. 

I'm using a 1.3A output Center positive PSU with my DF and using the pass through power cable from the DF to power on the 7800. But I changed out the original linear voltage regulator in my 7800 with a DC-DC switching regulator. Doing that, allows the 7800 to only require half as much current as it did originally so 1.3A from the DF is more than enough to power everything.

But first things first! You need a Center positive PSU...not negative!

Eeep! I should not be allowed around PSUs that aren't obviously what is intended! I'm very glad then I didn't try what I was going to try, but also confused the one I thought would work didn't work.

2 hours ago, marauder666 said:

I've picked up some of these PSUs on UK ebay lately, work well.

Just tried it with my Dragonfly, all working as expected.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255013157159

Great! thank you so much.

OK the psu works, screen on the cart turns on. Can select a game. Says to turn on the console, which I do and I get... Asteroids. Tried looking at the thread and don't think anyone else has had the same issue. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong now? XD

Edit: stupidity confirmed. I hadn't pushed it hard enough into the console... 

Edited by Mikebloke

Been there.

Ensure the dragonfly is really pushed in, PAL consoles have a really bad plastic cup the cart sits in and some carts dont go far enough, due to it being too tight in the corners.

Had to Dremel the inside of the plastic on my cart cup in the corners.

Guess we got the plastic cup from when the NTSC ones had been made, and the molds were worn out.

13 hours ago, Onlyfordj said:

Hello
I am a new Atari 7800 player.
I don't understand Pokey chip and Yamaha chip ...
I want to connect it to the console, select rom and play.
As simple as that.

Does the basic option work for me?

It works if you only want to play games that DON'T require Pokey or Yamaha chips (which is most games).

Just do a google search for what they're. If you don't care about any games that require them, then you don't need them.

13 hours ago, Onlyfordj said:

Hello
I am a new Atari 7800 player.
I don't understand Pokey chip and Yamaha chip ...
I want to connect it to the console, select rom and play.
As simple as that.

Does the basic option work for me?

Only two official games were released that use the Pokey chip and that Commando and Ballblazer. Commando uses it for the music so you can still get sound effects without it, but Ballblazer uses the Pokey exclusively for all sounds. The pokey chips are actually inside those cartridges and not something in the console itself. In the case of the Dragonfly cartridge, it can have a Pokey installed for those games that used it to work through the DF with fully audio. In the case of the Yamaha module, there is only one homebrew game released that uses it but doesn't require it as it has normal TIA audio as well that comes from within the stock 7800 console.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm selling my Dragonfly if anyone is interested.

Burgundy (red), Pokey Max, YM2151 module, and 5.5/2.1 plug cable.

I'm in the UK but will post to Europe or the US on the understanding that all shipping fees will be paid by the buyer, and I won't be responsible for any customs fees / taxes that may be levied.

PM me if interested.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for a long absence, but the last months were not too kind to me :(

For today, Pokeymax modules are not available. 

To produce dragonfly there are shortage displays, but probably I could adjust another model. Unfortunately, the prices of electronic parts that I use increased by 30-60%, so the price of a cartridge would be more half. :( 

As long as the situation with parts does not improve, I do not see the meaning of further production

• Like 1