Jump to content
rj1307

"Dragonfly" preorder

Recommended Posts

For those interested, I am willing to sell mine (pokey+YM). I used it once. As I spend more time with the family, I have less time with my hobbies. I am sure somebody who can appreciate it can put that beast in a better use. I will put a post on trade forums with photos etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, Wessyman said:

I would like the red with optional pokey max chip.

On 9/1/2021 at 8:36 AM, rj1307 said:

I would like to clarify that I am not a producer of PokeyMax modules and I have no influence on its availability. Cortex-M4 systems that are used there are four times more expensive, there is also a problem with their availability. It is unknown if and when PokeyMax will be re-produced.

 

Unfortunately, I also have a problem with the availability of parts, as of today, Dragonfly cartridges are not available. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, juanluma01 said:

+1 (Pokey&YM) when they are available, please!

The YM sounds amazing, need some games that use it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think @rj1307 is tracking preorders at the moment, since the parts aren't available right now. No need to fill the topic with order requests until we hear otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't think [mention=51893]rj1307[/mention] is tracking preorders at the moment, since the parts aren't available right now. No need to fill the topic with order requests until we hear otherwise.

Where do you suggest one expresses interest then Karl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got another stupid psu question. I'm really struggling to find a psu for UK with all the requirements. Does it have to be 1.5a? I've got a 1.2a with the jaguar and even a 1.22a for my replacement gx4000 plug, but nothing 1.5a or more that is centre negative. Anyone else in the UK able to recommend anything? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mikebloke said:

I've got another stupid psu question. I'm really struggling to find a psu for UK with all the requirements. Does it have to be 1.5a? I've got a 1.2a with the jaguar and even a 1.22a for my replacement gx4000 plug, but nothing 1.5a or more that is centre negative. Anyone else in the UK able to recommend anything? 

The Dragonfly requires a center positive PSU not negative. I know this because I'm using a PSU designed for a Sega Genesis with mine and I had to cut the wire and reverse them to change the polarity since those earlier SEGA systems were center negative polarity. 

 

I'm using a 1.3A output Center positive PSU with my DF and using the pass through power cable from the DF to power on the 7800. But I changed out the original linear voltage regulator in my 7800 with a DC-DC switching regulator. Doing that, allows the 7800 to only require half as much current as it did originally so 1.3A from the DF is more than enough to power everything.

 

But first things first! You need a Center positive PSU...not negative!

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The Dragonfly requires a center positive PSU not negative. I know this because I'm using a PSU designed for a Sega Genesis with mine and I had to cut the wire and reverse them to change the polarity since those earlier SEGA systems were center negative polarity. 

 

I'm using a 1.3A output Center positive PSU with my DF and using the pass through power cable from the DF to power on the 7800. But I changed out the original linear voltage regulator in my 7800 with a DC-DC switching regulator. Doing that, allows the 7800 to only require half as much current as it did originally so 1.3A from the DF is more than enough to power everything.

 

But first things first! You need a Center positive PSU...not negative!

 

Eeep! I should not be allowed around PSUs that aren't obviously what is intended! I'm very glad then I didn't try what I was going to try, but also confused the one I thought would work didn't work.

 

2 hours ago, marauder666 said:

I've picked up some of these PSUs on UK ebay lately, work well.

Just tried it with my Dragonfly, all working as expected.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255013157159

 

Great! thank you so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello
I am a new Atari 7800 player.
I don't understand Pokey chip and Yamaha chip ...
I want to connect it to the console, select rom and play.
As simple as that.

Does the basic option work for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK the psu works, screen on the cart turns on. Can select a game. Says to turn on the console, which I do and I get... Asteroids. Tried looking at the thread and don't think anyone else has had the same issue. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong now? XD

 

Edit: stupidity confirmed. I hadn't pushed it hard enough into the console... 

Edited by Mikebloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there.

 

Ensure the dragonfly is really pushed in, PAL consoles have a really bad plastic cup the cart sits in and some carts dont go far enough, due to it being too tight in the corners.

Had to Dremel the inside of the plastic on my cart cup in the corners.

 

Guess we got the plastic cup from when the NTSC ones had been made, and the molds were worn out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Onlyfordj said:
Hello
I am a new Atari 7800 player.
I don't understand Pokey chip and Yamaha chip ...
I want to connect it to the console, select rom and play.
As simple as that.

Does the basic option work for me?

It works if you only want to play games that DON'T require Pokey or Yamaha chips (which is most games).

Just do a google search for what they're. If you don't care about any games that require them, then you don't need them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Onlyfordj said:
Hello
I am a new Atari 7800 player.
I don't understand Pokey chip and Yamaha chip ...
I want to connect it to the console, select rom and play.
As simple as that.

Does the basic option work for me?

Only two official games were released that use the Pokey chip and that Commando and Ballblazer. Commando uses it for the music so you can still get sound effects without it, but Ballblazer uses the Pokey exclusively for all sounds. The pokey chips are actually inside those cartridges and not something in the console itself. In the case of the Dragonfly cartridge, it can have a Pokey installed for those games that used it to work through the DF with fully audio. In the case of the Yamaha module, there is only one homebrew game released that uses it but doesn't require it as it has normal TIA audio as well that comes from within the stock 7800 console.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I'm late to the party.  Sucks about parts availability and this being discontinued. :(  That said, if anyone has a Dragonfly they want to sell, please PM me.. I'll gladly buy it! Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm selling my Dragonfly if anyone is interested.

 

Burgundy (red), Pokey Max, YM2151 module, and 5.5/2.1 plug cable.

 

I'm in the UK but will post to Europe or the US on the understanding that all shipping fees will be paid by the buyer, and I won't be responsible for any customs fees / taxes that may be levied.

 

PM me if interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...