IGNORED

.cas File Support for FujiNet

6 minutes ago, nadir said:

FujiNet 1.5 and aha...  I didn't realize there was a webpage on board the device. It's set to B Button Press.  I had printed out the guide (which must be out of date?), but it lists Button B as just being for print debug info, safe reset, and reset config!  If I try Button B, I actually do get the orange light now.  Solid for a bit, then starts cycling on/off slowly.  Eventually it quits doing that and I end up frozen on the blue screen with a cursor, but at least it looks like it's trying to do something at the beginning now...

Quick sanity check: is your FujiNet's firmware current?  If not, I would recommend updating.

As regards the B Button / Pulldown Resistor option, set it to Pulldown Resistor and retry loading the image.  Use the Return key or space bar to start loading.

The fact that you're getting some flashing of the orange light suggests that the FujiNet is receiving tape data.  However, you may want to check what I said earlier re: loading .cas files over the Internet.

6 minutes ago, nadir said:

I see there is an HSIO index thing in that web config too.  Do I need to try experimenting with that as well?  It's showing "6: 67Kb" currently.

For now, leave that set where it is ;-)

• Like 1

why wouldn't it just use the motor control line to auto start and auto stop the tape data stream? pressing a button or using a resistor does what exactly... if you load a .cas file it should know that already and engage the play button and not act like the motor is moving (ie not actually start or act as if soft paused) until motor control says so... maybe use the button/resistor for record button/recording data.... i dunno, something just seems odd...

7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

why wouldn't it just use the motor control line to auto start and auto stop the tape data stream? pressing a button or using a resistor does what exactly... if you load a .cas file it should know that already and engage the play button and not act like the motor is moving (ie not actually start or act as if soft paused) until motor control says so... maybe use the button/resistor for record button/recording data.... i dunno, something just seems odd...

The first batch of FujiNet hardware shipped before CAS support was added and lack the required pulldown resistor on the MOTOR line for automatic playback. The B button option is for that first batch of hardware so they can start the tape playback by pressing B.

To complement that, if you have the pulldown resistor installed, FujiNet works exactly as you described it: it senses the Mtrctrl line, once it is activated it goes on 'playing' the. CAS file. And stops when mtrctrl line is disabled. 

Edited by manterola

On 7/12/2021 at 6:33 AM, mozzwald said:

The first batch of FujiNet hardware shipped before CAS support was added and lack the required pulldown resistor on the MOTOR line for automatic playback. The B button option is for that first batch of hardware so they can start the tape playback by pressing B.

Indeed. My two standalone units came straight from Mozzwald - prototype/development versions based on 1.1 and 1.2 hardware, and both require B button presses to start .CAS playback. My third unit is a prototype 576NUC+ daughterboard built by Mytek for those of us who assisted him in the beta phase. That one is based on the version 1.5 hardware standard and doesn't require a B button press to load .CAS files. 

Having said that, I know there are quite a few units out there from the initial 1.0 release so it's always a good idea to get clarity on the hardware specifics and how the FujiNet itself is configured. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2021 at 7:35 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Quick sanity check: is your FujiNet's firmware current?  If not, I would recommend updating.

As regards the B Button / Pulldown Resistor option, set it to Pulldown Resistor and retry loading the image.  Use the Return key or space bar to start loading.

Finally had a chance to check earlier this week and I'm firmware current.  I'll give the pulldown mode a try along with a local copy.  Thanks!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, mutterminder said:

Does this work with hardware version 1.0?  I have updated to the latest firmware, but cassettes don't seem to load.

CAS loading works on all hardware versions. v1.0 required an extra resistor for automatic playback (via MOTOR line) which should be on most units sold (afaik, only my first batch of 50 lack the resistor). Without the resistor you need to set B button to enable playback (in web ui) and the FujiNet B button starts cassette playback:

312940082_Screenshotfrom2021-08-3019-56-07.thumb.png.e9967a5dc626f1865f1f2cb6774bd285.png

• 2 months later...

So I saw something on FB today in one of the Atari groups about a cartridge version of Zaxxon. @tschak909 jokingly (?) referenced the 16K cassette version. I actually had that version as a kid - one of the first games my step-brother and I bought for our 400+410 Program Recorder. That, in turn, reminded me that I haven't been able to get this .CAS file to load through my FujiNet. 

So I decided to try it tonight, but despite any combination of settings I could think to try with my Incognito 800, up to and including booting in 48K "Colleen" mode with OS B, I could not get the file to boot successfully. By contrast, when I pulled out my SDrive-MAX, which I have not used regularly in over a year since I got my first FujiNet, the same .CAS file loaded up just fine from the very same microSD card no less. 

So before I go asking Thom and @mozzwald to go chasing down a coding rabbit hole, can anyone get this .CAS file to boot from their FujiNet? If so, on what hardware? Thanks!

Zaxxon (1983, Datasoft, Inc.).cas

21 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

can anyone get this .CAS file to boot from their FujiNet? If so, on what hardware?

I just tried on my 800XL and it appears the FujiNet sees MOTOR line deasserted causing it to start over. Not really sure what's happening

<snippet>

19:18:16.393 > Offset: 2816
19:18:16.397 > Baud: 598 Length: 132 Gap: 238 
19:18:16.633 > Block 18
19:18:16.633 > Sending 132 bytes
19:18:16.633 > 55 55 fe 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 a9 
19:18:19.020 > Offset: 2956
19:18:19.020 > Baud: 598 Length: 132 Gap: 24528 MOTOR OFF: de-activating cassette
19:18:19.748 > set_baudrate change from 600 to 19200
19:18:19.750 > Cassette Mode disabled
19:18:30.114 > MOTOR ON: activating cassette
19:18:30.114 > set_baudrate change from 19200 to 600
19:18:30.114 > Cassette Mode enabled
19:18:30.114 > Offset: 2956
19:18:30.114 > Baud: 598 Length: 132 Gap: 24528 
19:18:54.642 > Block 2
19:18:54.645 > Sending 132 bytes

I just loaded a multistage. CAS without problem. I also checked with the multitester whether the MTRCTL pin goes down while going from one stage to another, and it does, but that event does NOT make FujiNet device to fully "rewind" the virtual tape. 

You can try this CAS yourself in pobox.us.to under Cassette-Variety-Collection/montezuma cassette viejo.cas

It uses the exclamation mark xex loader. 

Now I'll try the Zaxxon one you uploaded. 

Edit: Zaxxon worked, it passes 3 stages and a long pause close to the end. 

Edited by manterola

12 minutes ago, manterola said:

I just loaded a multistage. CAS without problem. I also checked with the multitester whether the MTRCTL pin goes down while going from one stage to another, and it does, but that event does NOT make FujiNet device to fully "rewind" the virtual tape. 

You can try this CAS yourself in pobox.us.to under Cassette-Variety-Collection/montezuma cassette viejo.cas

It uses the exclamation mark xex loader. 

Now I'll try the Zaxxon one you uploaded. 

I wonder if this is an issue with the various FujiNet hardware devices out? Both of my FujiNets are early versions 1.1 and a prototype 1.2, both built by @mozzwald last summer/early fall. They require a B button push to trigger the MTR line.

31 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

They require a B button push to trigger the MTR line

17 minutes ago, manterola said:

I guess that explain the problem. Mine is a version 1.0 but I added the resistor. 

You can fix the button press requirement by adding the resistor and I'm pretty sure @DrVenkman can solder. Probably easier to do it on the front side of the PCB as shown here.

I did get the game to load completely but it flaked out on me and had corrupted graphics 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If the audio in is available via Fujinet, does that open the possibility of:

1) using .flac files from https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Dorsett Educational System Lesson Cassettes

2) .mp3 player (probably the quality would be poor)

3) podcaster for the A8 (probably poor quality again, but matters less if you're listening to speaking voices than music?)

Just curious...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atari8guy said:

If the audio in is available via Fujinet, does that open the possibility of:

1) using .flac files from https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Dorsett Educational System Lesson Cassettes

2) .mp3 player (probably the quality would be poor)

3) podcaster for the A8 (probably poor quality again, but matters less if you're listening to speaking voices than music?)

Just curious...

In theory, we should be able to stream audio out to the Atari. We are already doing that with SAM. There are examples out there of how to do it with esp32. I barely tried to get a streaming audio test working long ago before I gave up cuz it's over my paygrade in terms of programming. It's not really a top priority for the project so will likely need an outside player willing to invest the time.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi -

I'm attempting to understand FujiNet's "save to cassette" feature.

fujinet_save_to_cassette.thumb.png.157f26f694b98d70edc053d7c98cdabf.png

It seems I can successfully put the FujiNet into "Rec" mode and in BASIC, CSAVE a program.

Is a file representing the tokenised BASIC program being persisted anywhere? I went browsing on the SD card in the FujiNet via the web UI, but couldn't find anything.

...or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Edited by beqelessen