IGNORED

New 2600, 5200, 7800, and Atari 8-bit Computer Games! Pre-Order Today!

Albert

9 hours ago, leech said:

So it sounds like you have to strip out old carts for new shells for the 2600? …

Is this a lot of sacrifices of E.T.? 

E.T. was a Silver Label cart and those are evidently almost impossible to remove the label cleanly. As I understand it, a lot Combat and other extremely common early text and black-label picture carts.

10 hours ago, leech said:

So it sounds like you have to strip out old carts for new shells for the 2600?  Do you have to do the same for the 5200 / 8bit computers?

No, at this time I'm only recycling cartridges for 2600 games.  I have new shells for the 5200, 7800, Atari 8-bit computers, Jaguar and Lynx.  Come hell or high water, I will have new 2600 shells by the end of this year.

..Al

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

E.T. was a Silver Label cart and those are evidently almost impossible to remove the label cleanly. As I understand it, a lot Combat and other extremely common early text and black-label picture carts.

I have a method to remove labels from silver label carts, but it is certainly more work than for other carts.  In fact, I processed a batch of 70 silver label carts last night (removing the labels) and this morning I will be cleaning them so I can use them for new games this afternoon.

..Al

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Albert said:

No, at this time I'm only recycling cartridges for 2600 games.  I have new shells for the 5200, 7800, Atari 8-bit computers, Jaguar and Lynx.  Come hell or high water, I will have new 2600 shells by the end of this year.

..Al

Yeah, that sounds like a huge pain!  I had figured by now every system would have good molds available.  Crazy that the granddaddy of them all doesn't.

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Maybe. But did you expect the current situation back then?

Well, I personally have need for them considerably more now than back then, and it also would have been much more difficult to stomach the costs of the mold in 2010 versus now.  But you know what they say about hindsight...

..Al

On 6/17/2021 at 9:12 AM, Neogeoman said:

I already received my Jaguar preorders and I love them. Any update on the 2600/5200/7800 preorders? Just curious to know when they'll be going out? Thanks

I plan on starting to ship these orders late next week, and it'll take about a week (at least) to get them all shipped.

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been a few days since I've posted an update, so wanted to do so now, as I will be spending nearly all of my time this weekend working on these games..

This week I've mostly been working on the extra games for these pre-orders (that is, additional games ordered with the pre-order games), as well as prepping even more cartridges.  At this point I do have the majority of games assembled, many labeled, and should have all the pre-order games labeled and boxed by the end of the weekend.  After that it will be just finishing up the extra games, and there aren't a ton of those (at least compared to the pre-order games themselves), so that won't take more than a day or two going into next week.  I am also working on games for "regular" orders as well, as I need to get those shipped next week. 

Here are some more carts that have been prepped for all these 2600 games..  Still have a few more rounds to do, but that'll be coming to an end soon.

Stack of 2600 carts after I finished cleaning them with Goo Gone.  This is a bit over 90 carts.  Behind these carts is a large, HEPA air filter so I don't have to smell those fumes (I also use this same air cleaner when soldering so I'm not inhaling solder fumes).  Also helps the carts dry, as it's pulling in a lot of air.

GooGonedCartsStacked.jpg

The above carts after I put them out in front a fan to dry:

MoreCartsDrying.jpg

Some boards I was soldering during the week..  5200 games (and a handful of ColecoVision games):

Soldering5200Boards.jpg

Some 2600 4K games:

Soldering2600Boards.jpg

Currently testing all the pre-order 2600 games that need to be labeled.  After this is done, it will be a cartridge labeling frenzy.  Tomorrow I'll assemble all these games into boxes, with manuals and posters for those games that have them.  Not sure how long that's going to take, but it's a pretty mindless process so I can stream a show or movie(s) while doing it..

TestingZooKeeper.jpg

Testing_DareDevil.jpg

I set this up in another room to make it easier to go through these a bin of carts at a time.

And one last photo, here are some of the extra games I've soldered that will be assembled into boards, tested, and labeled over the next few days.  This weekend, though, focused mainly on finishing the pre-order games, but still doing some work on these as well to push them along..  From left to right, 7800, 2600, and 5200 boards.

ExtraGameBoards.jpg

Goal is still to start shipping these orders next week.  I'm excited to reach the finish line!  :)

That's all for now, may post some more photos tomorrow.

..Al

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Hi Albert and Thank you! (Received your messages both on the forum and direct email)

I knew you had your hands full, likely an major understatement, and patience was not an issue for me. I just ‘missed” the part that was your final email update a couple of months ago. Very Sorry about that. I just began to wonder if something else had happened when I wasn’t any longer receiving any updates. I can now see you have a much larger backlog of orders to fill than I originally envisioned. WAY LARGER! How do you possibly deal with all these orders?!

Thank you so much. Mine will get here eventually as your work through all these. Maybe for this holiday season! LOL!

All the Best, Mike

Sent from a collector of:
ATARI, INC.
A Warner Communications Company

Atari carts are still available by the 1000s and more? Besides ebay. 

Did Albert get carts from the Atari games in the cave?

I've got a printed 2600 cart from a guy in Spain or France (can't remember). It works great. Is that an option in the future?

Edited by high voltage

2 hours ago, high voltage said:

Atari carts are still available by the 1000s and more? Besides ebay. 

Did Albert get carts from the Atari games in the cave?

I've got a printed 2600 cart from a guy in Spain or France (can't remember). It works great. Is that an option in the future?

You really need to read more of Al's posts.

reface-1620391831044-422.gif

2 hours ago, high voltage said:

I probably did

Then you would know that people trade in carts for store credit etc. (what you are looking at) and you would also know, that a mold has been a WIP for almost a year, if not longer.  And you would also know about other new shells that are being used, but you'd have to read between the lines for that one.

And if you were really hip, you could dig up a couple of pics of 3D printed AA embossed shells around here. ?

• Haha 1

Lots of you, like me, are excited to get some of these new games.  While it has taken Al much longer than planned, I want to give some perspective.

I have helped Al a couple of times at the PRGE.  One time, I helped him assemble boxes and insert the cartridges and manuals into the boxes.  All I can tell you is that to do the kind of job that Al does with this is that it takes a lot of time and patience.  Never mind the cleaning of the shells and programming/soldering of the circuit boards.

I really appreciate all of Al's efforts as well as CPUWIZ and BATARI for their work to provide the circuit boards!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Time for another update!  A bit later than I wanted, but have been focusing on building games!

First, I now have all the pre-order 2600, 5200, and 7800 games tested and labeled.  I have roughly 25 more Atari 8-bit games to make (some pre-order, some older), and about 40 Jaguar games to build, and will be working on those later today (the 8-bit games I'll definitely finish today, the Jaguar EPROMs have been programmed and I will solder those today, probably assemble/test/label tomorrow).  Second, all the boxes have been glued and assembled, now they are just waiting for assembly of the games and manuals into the boxes.  Will be working on that tomorrow, should go pretty quickly now that the boxes are finished and the games are labeled!  These are going to take a huge amount of space once assembled, so I'll need to spend some time tomorrow morning clearing off shelves before I begin!

Other tasks that remain include printing the parchment envelopes for Adventure II XE, Goo Goning another two bins of carts, finishing up the extra games for these orders (which will take a day), building 20 or so AtariVoxes, and a few other miscellaneous tasks.  Very close now!

Here are some photos...  This first photo shows how many drawers I'm now using for these games.  The check marks represent games that have been labeled (all of them!)

CartBins_2021-06-22.jpg

Here are some of the cartridges, in no particular order:

LabeledCarts_04.jpg

LabeledCarts_01.jpg

LabeledCarts_07.jpg

LabeledCarts_06.jpg

LabeledCarts_05.jpg

LabeledCarts_03.jpg

LabeledCarts_02.jpg

These represent just half the drawers with finished games in them, and this does not include any of the extra games for these orders (probably another 200 or so carts!)

And here area all the glued and folded boxes!

BoxesComplete_2021-06-22.jpg

That's all for now, time to solder some Atari 8-bit boards!  :D

..Al

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Albert said:

A quick post...  Have the 23 additional Atari 8-bit games finished..

More8bitBoards_2021-06-23.jpg

More8bitCarts_2021-06-23.jpg

Now working on the remaining Jaguar games to build.  Here are the programmed EPROMs!

JaguarEPROMs_2021-06-23.jpg

Once these are finished, will be boxing up games...

..Al

Sooon, soooon my wee beauties will be mine!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1