IGNORED

FujiNet Update Flasher Problem

When I try to update the FujiNet firmware using the flasher.exe I continually get "Failed to connect to expressif device" (see attached screen capture.)

I have used 3 different computers - two hard-wired to my router and 1 via wi-fi.  I have used 3 different USB cables.  In all cases I get the same error.  Other than this "updating problem" the FujiNet works perfectly when attached to my Atari 800.

Any idea what could be wrong and how to fix it???

Thanks,

Bob

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the quick reply Thom.   I purchased it the middle of October.  I'll contact the vendor and see what my options are.

P.S.  After posting my initial question I had left the FijiNet attached to my laptops USB port.  Before disconnecting it I figured I would try one last time to update the firmware.  Wouldn't you know it - it updated with no problem this time. . . . Will still contact the vendor and discuss the situation with him.

Again, thanks for all your work and help with this amazing device.

P.S. Question - In the "normal" world of updating the FujiNet's firmware, after pressing the "Flash FujiNet Firmware" button is their anything else I need to do ??  i.e. pressing any of the buttons on top of the device.

43 minutes ago, gandalf1369 said:

P.S. Question - In the "normal" world of updating the FujiNet's firmware, after pressing the "Flash FujiNet Firmware" button is their anything else I need to do ??  i.e. pressing any of the buttons on top of the device.

The board is supposed to automatically enter flash mode when you press "Flash FujiNet Firmware", but you can force it into flash mode by holding Button A (far left) when you plug in the USB cable, then run the flash tool.

1 hour ago, gandalf1369 said:

I have used 3 different USB cables.

Try 3 more :) Someone went thru 8 cables before it worked for them :P 

Another thing to consider - don’t connect to a USB hub or through another device (like a keyboard with a secondary USB port). The more devices on the USB port, the more current required. If you have a hub with several devices connected, you might be drawing too much power to successfully flash the device. I ran into this the other day using a PICKit 3 to flash a PIC microcontroller - it flat would not flash until I connected it directly to the USB port on my computer. A powered USB hub would eliminate this possibility as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

The board is supposed to automatically enter flash mode when you press "Flash FujiNet Firmware", but you can force it into flash mode by holding Button A (far left) when you plug in the USB cable, then run the flash tool.

Try 3 more :) Someone went thru 8 cables before it worked for them :P 

Agreed! Some USB cables are power only, and some are power and data. You have to get the right one. I have one I use to update mine, and guard it with my life so no-one else uses it to charge or power something :)

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for your responses, advice, and help.  As you can see in my second post I was to successfully update my FujiNet to the latest firmware - I have no idea why it all of a sudden decided to play nice and update.  I used the same laptop and the same cable and it suddenly just worked!!  ?

I was not using a USB hub with any of the computers that I tried the update on - all were plugged directly into the USB port on the computer.

Again thanks to all.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:35 AM, gandalf1369 said:

When I try to update the FujiNet firmware using the flasher.exe I continually get "Failed to connect to expressif device" (see attached screen capture.)

I have used 3 different computers - two hard-wired to my router and 1 via wi-fi.  I have used 3 different USB cables.  In all cases I get the same error.  Other than this "updating problem" the FujiNet works perfectly when attached to my Atari 800.

Any idea what could be wrong and how to fix it???

Thanks,

Bob

Capture.JPG

I got similar message after unsuccessful installing driver for FujiNet on W'7. On W'10 Laptop the system did not react on connection of USB cable.

So, I cannot install any update. My connection is failing despite of correct setup the WiFi for 2.4GHz. ... I am really confused with it.

The next thing is the ticking noise when the switch is OFF. Checking the schematic (I do not know, it is the right one) it looks like the SIO connections

are not correctly designed. When Vin is disconnected, parallel with it, that ports should be separated by an analog-switch, controlled by the switch on side

of box. It is not complicated and I am surprised it was not solved on the beginning :)

Peter

1 hour ago, KPeter said:

My connection is failing despite of correct setup the WiFi for 2.4GHz. ... I am really confused with it.

This could be due to an issue with your router. Some users have reported that FujiNet would not connect with their dual band router.

1 hour ago, KPeter said:

The next thing is the ticking noise when the switch is OFF. Checking the schematic (I do not know, it is the right one) it looks like the SIO connections

are not correctly designed. When Vin is disconnected, parallel with it, that ports should be separated by an analog-switch, controlled by the switch on side

of box. It is not complicated and I am surprised it was not solved on the beginning

The ticking is a known issue which will be fixed in the next hardware release. The ESP32 is being back powered from the SIO lines.

I don't quite understand what you are saying about VIN. The physical switch (S4) disconnects power (SIO or USB) from the 3.3V regulator that powers the ESP32. SJ1 is a solder jumper that should not be connected if you have the switch installed.

pwr.thumb.jpg.f22ba95bd867a5daf7a7e6deb2770994.jpg

1 hour ago, KPeter said:

I got similar message after unsuccessful installing driver for FujiNet on W'7. On W'10 Laptop the system did not react on connection of USB cable.

So, I cannot install any update.

Have you tried several different USB cables?

It's always the cable ™️

5 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Have you tried several different USB cables?

Good question. I never had any issue with that type of USB cables. So, I should ask differently. Is the length of cable and from that the impedance is the issue or

different pinouts /missing connection ? Please, concretely specify the source the possible issue.

40 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I don't quite understand what you are saying about VIN. The physical switch (S4) disconnects power (SIO or USB) from the 3.3V regulator that powers the ESP32. SJ1 is a solder jumper that should not be connected if you have the switch installed.

No, It is not about supplying the FujiNet from USB or ATARI +5V. It is about (how I saw on the FujiNet pages schematic) SIO Input directly connected to ATARI SIO Port. Of course, if the S4 is OFF, no external PS (consequently no internal +3.3V) connected to FujiNet, but through SIO In pin an ATARI's Pull-Up resitor or some circuitry is incorrectly back-supplying an OUTPUT circuitry on ESP32. I guess, it is a not correct solution, in good design not permitted. What I wrote, there should be also a controlled switch (analog-switch from DG series- Maxim, ... etc.) what separates ESP32 output from ATARI's SIO Input. ... Just like an example of Analog Switch: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/427/dg3257-1766310.pdf

The whole solution does not need big modification, and the switch can be controlled from Voltage on U3.1 pin. That solution will disable the ticking noise.

Peter

9 hours ago, KPeter said:

Good question. I never had any issue with that type of USB cables. So, I should ask differently. Is the length of cable and from that the impedance is the issue or different pinouts /missing connection ? Please, concretely specify the source the possible issue.

Some USB cables are power only (5V & GND). Some cables are just low quality and may intermittently work.

9 hours ago, KPeter said:

No, It is not about supplying the FujiNet from USB or ATARI +5V. It is about (how I saw on the FujiNet pages schematic) SIO Input directly connected to ATARI SIO Port. Of course, if the S4 is OFF, no external PS (consequently no internal +3.3V) connected to FujiNet, but through SIO In pin an ATARI's Pull-Up resitor or some circuitry is incorrectly back-supplying an OUTPUT circuitry on ESP32. I guess, it is a not correct solution, in good design not permitted. What I wrote, there should be also a controlled switch (analog-switch from DG series- Maxim, ... etc.) what separates ESP32 output from ATARI's SIO Input. ... Just like an example of Analog Switch: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/427/dg3257-1766310.pdf

The whole solution does not need big modification, and the switch can be controlled from Voltage on U3.1 pin. That solution will disable the ticking noise.

The next revision will fix the problem by separating the FujiNet from SIO when turned off.

18 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Some USB cables are power only (5V & GND). Some cables are just low quality and may intermittently work.

I guess, it is not my case. I verified full functionality of my all USB cables. I can download/upload files to my cellphone(s),

so, there are more than +5V & GND line there.

Despite, the manufacturer says, all devices are tested before selling, I suspect, my was not, otherwise it should work.

I watched lots of videos, how it works, the connection to the net looks very simple, if the device is OK. How I wrote,

I made sure, I have 2.4GHz WiFii set up, despite of it and the strong signal, "Connect fails".

Peter

18 hours ago, mozzwald said:

The next revision will fix the problem by separating the FujiNet from SIO when turned off.

:) Great!  Unfortunately it looks like I have broken FujiNet device, could I expect, the manufacturer will replace it

with a good one and with the correct solution of SIO IN? Finally I helped on this case and I notified the manufacturer

about it also, he said, it will be better to give my idea to the designers ... so, I am expecting some credit for it :) :) ...

Peter :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just updated both my FujiNets using the Win10 x64 flasher.  In both instances, the first time I tried to run the update, I was told I did not have permission to do so.  Closed the flasher, launched it again, and everything went just fine.

Is this a known issue, or next time there's an update (should it recur) should I share some screencaps?

2 hours ago, David_P said:

Just updated both my FujiNets using the Win10 x64 flasher.  In both instances, the first time I tried to run the update, I was told I did not have permission to do so.  Closed the flasher, launched it again, and everything went just fine.

Is this a known issue, or next time there's an update (should it recur) should I share some screencaps?

Screenshots may help, but I think it needs to be run as administrator to work. Or it could be windows defender blocking it?

What I found odd was that I made zero change to anything; just clicked "close", then double-clicked the flasher again, and all was well.  No run as Admin needed; and the same cycle repeated with the second unit.  If it was Windows Defender I'd have thought that the first run would have set things (unless the fact that it appears as a different COM port has something to do with it).

Next update I will check and see what happens, and grab screen caps / dumps if things go oddly again..

(And I used an old, reliable BlackBerry USB cable, so no issues there ;))

3 hours ago, David_P said:

What I found odd was that I made zero change to anything; just clicked "close", then double-clicked the flasher again, and all was well.

I've seen similar.  The error message is something about lack of permissions for COM3, even though I am running as Administrator.  Close the flasher app, relaunch, problem goes away.  Win 10/x64.

Edited by FifthPlayer
win 10
  • Like 1

I get the same thing as well -

Using 'COM12' as serial port.
Getting latest firmware from fujinet.online..
FujiNet Version: 0.5.89f318f9
Version Date/Time: 2020-12-29 01:50:02
Build Date/Time: Tue Dec 29 02:53:03 UTC 2020
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____
Unexpected error: ESP Chip Auto-Detection failed: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

14 hours ago, Frankie said:

I get the same thing as well -

Using 'COM12' as serial port.
Getting latest firmware from fujinet.online..
FujiNet Version: 0.5.89f318f9
Version Date/Time: 2020-12-29 01:50:02
Build Date/Time: Tue Dec 29 02:53:03 UTC 2020
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____
Unexpected error: ESP Chip Auto-Detection failed: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

As @mozzwald posted above "The board is supposed to automatically enter flash mode when you press "Flash FujiNet Firmware", but you can force it into flash mode by holding Button A (far left) when you plug in the USB cable, then run the flash tool."

I have tried this on my FujiNet and it has updated successfully ever since.  Worth a try . . .

4 hours ago, gandalf1369 said:

As @mozzwald posted above "The board is supposed to automatically enter flash mode when you press "Flash FujiNet Firmware", but you can force it into flash mode by holding Button A (far left) when you plug in the USB cable, then run the flash tool."

I have tried this on my FujiNet and it has updated successfully ever since.  Worth a try . . .

Yes,that did it. Thanks,

Frank

20 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Do you have to do this every time you update? If so, then I suspect you have a hardware problem

So far yes.  I did the last two times I updated.  I'll try the latest update today and let you know if I had to press the "A" button to get it to work.  In all other respects my FujiNet appears to work flawlessly however.

@mozzwald

Just tried the 12/29/2020 update.  Had to press the "A" button in order to get it to update.  Without pressing the "A" button when plugging in the FujiNet to the USB cable I consistently get the error in my original post.  Used the same USB cable and the same USB port on the PC as always.

Just now, gandalf1369 said:

@mozzwald

Just tried the 12/29/2020 update.  Had to press the "A" button in order to get it to update.  Without pressing the "A" button when plugging in the FujiNet to the USB cable I consistently get the error in my original post.  Used the same USB cable and the same USB port on the PC as always.

I suspect you have a solder bridge on the USB/UART chip or the dual transistor responsible for auto-reset into flash mode. If you're fine with manually entering flash mode every time then it probably doesn't matter. Otherwise, check with your vendor about repair/replacement.

• Thanks 1