IGNORED

FujiNet Update Flasher Problem

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Why is is reporting no flash?  Do you think I received  counterfeit / bogus device?

Sounds to me like you're getting bit by the IO12/SD Card Detect pin bug. Did this get changed to IO15 on your board?

Try flashing with and without a SD card in the socket and report back

Edited by mozzwald
add test

16 minutes ago, mozzwald said:
43 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Excellent!  Thanks so much.  Flashed and booted right up.  I'm sorry - I do not know what may have changed on this board.  I'll post pics ASAP.

What made it work? SD card in or out?

Can @Mr Robot or @mytek confirm which pin is used on this board?

SD card must be inserted for the device to work at all.  It won't flash, nor will it boot to FujiNet screen without SD Card.

BTW - I also had to desolder R14 and bridge R15 on this WROVER board to enable the internal antenna.  That sure is fun to do by hand.  I see a soldering microscope in my near future!

• Like 3

This is one of the test boards. It has the SD card detect on pin 12. 

it’s interesting that the knock-off esp32 with the ant connector has the same issue as the genuine esp32 without it. The genuine esp32 with the ant connector is the only one that works with pin 12

the final board design has the pin moved to 15 but these were sent out to testers before we discovered the issue. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

This is one of the test boards. It has the SD card detect on pin 12. 

Ahh, ok. If @Stephen were so inclined, he could try this bodge to use IO15 instead of IO12 (I think this is the same board). Good test for that microscope when you get it ;)

Screen_Shot_2021-07-26_at_15_28_53.thumb.png.c223f0a1557549d136fc8679c7463046.png

10 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

it’s interesting that the knock-off esp32 with the ant connector has the same issue as the genuine esp32 without it. The genuine esp32 with the ant connector is the only one that works with pin 12

It is interesting. They must have used the other flash chips, maybe due to price and availability

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, OmaOhneBH said:

Fujinet-Flasher.exe won't start on Windows 10, running as administrator . I followed those instructions. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

There have been several reports of this issue. One person got it to work by creating a new user account and run it while logged in as the other user. Can you try this and report back if it works? We don't know what the cause is.

Edited by mozzwald
report back request

Same here - I've tried the x64, the x86 and the Test versions.  Tried copying it to \windows\system32 to run it from the Admin powershell, but no joy.

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    21H2
Installed on    ‎19-‎Jun-‎20
OS build    19044.1415
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

5 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Could you try creating a new user account and run the flasher from that user and report if it works or not?

Creating a new Admin account (named FujiNet, of course). and downloading the x64 flasher to that account worked.

Back in my main account, running the flasher gets no response at all.  The COM device is visible in Device manager (Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3)) in my main account.

I have two 1.0 devices, both respond the same way.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mozzwald said:

There have been several reports of this issue. One person got it to work by creating a new user account and run it while logged in as the other user. Can you try this and report back if it works? We don't know what the cause is.

Like @David_P I'm using 1.0 device, created new Windows user account, even without admin rights, but guess what, Fujinet-Flasher.exe started up, without any problems at all, firmware update successful ?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OmaOhneBH said:

Like @David_P I'm using 1.0 device, created new Windows user account, even without admin rights, but guess what, Fujinet-Flasher.exe started up, without any problems at all, firmware update successful

17 hours ago, David_P said:

Creating a new Admin account (named FujiNet, of course). and downloading the x64 flasher to that account worked.

Thank you both for testing. I will add a note to the download page in case others have the same problem. I really have no idea what the cause is. Unless Microsoft pushes an update that fixes it, this will be our 'fix'.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 5:42 PM, Airshack said:

This worked for me on my non-modded Atari 800XL. Thank you!

PROBLEM: Prior attempts (MacOS and Windows64) to use #fujinet flasher to update firmware version 0.5.8934daff failed due to: 

"Unexpected error: ESP Chip Auto-Detection failed: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header"

SOLUTION: Forcing into flash mode by holding button-A when I plugged in the USB cable did the trick.

I was also having problems flashing on macOS Big Sur (11.6.2), I was also seeing this error:

Unexpected error: ESP Chip Auto-Detection failed: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header 

The #FujiNet flasher instructions mention updating the SILabs serial driver... I suspect (and will NOT be verifying) that the SILabs serial port drivers also need to be updated in newer versions of macOS to solve flashing problems on that platform.  I'm hesitant to install 3rd party driver kernel modules on macOS these days, since driver authors should be using DriverKit to run drivers in userspace instead of installing kernel modules, as per Apple's documentation [1].

I got around this by booting a Windows 10 VM in VMware Fusion, installing the SILabs serial driver linked from the FujiNet page into the VM, and then running the updater tool.  I can trash Windows VMs all day long and be happy about it.

FWIW, I have a hardware version 1.3 device.

This is what worked for me on macOS.

1. Boot Windows 10 VM
  2. Install SILabs driver by hand from zipfile (unarchive zipfile, right click on "silabser.inf" and choose "Install")
  3. Verify in Control Panel -> Devices & Printers that the driver is installed with no errors
  4. Remove power from the #FujiNet device
    1. Shut off the Atari first before unplugging it from the SIO port, if you have it plugged in
    2. Remove the USB cable from the port if you're using that
  5. Hold down the "A" button on the #FujiNet (button closest to the USB port), then plug in a USB cable from the computer to the #FujiNet device
  6. VMware will prompt you to select where to connect a new device (host computer or VM) once it sees the new serial device on the Mac's USB port; choose "Run in Windows"
  7. Run FujiNet-Flasher.exe in the Windows VM
    1. I was able to run it straight from the zipfile, I didn't have to unarchive it first
  8. Select the COM port that the #FujiNet serial port has been assigned to
  9. Click on the "Flash FujiNet Firmware" button
  10. The firmware will begin to download (you won't see anything in the console log window for this)
  11. Once the firmware is downloaded, the flasher will look for the #FujiNet device and attempt to flash it

[1] https://developer.apple.com/documentation/driverkit

Edited by spicyjack
added "newer versions of"
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, Bitbastel said:

I need help on flashing v1.5, please! I tried two different but with no success. The Atari don't boot the Fujinet any more. But the ESP could be programmed again and again. I hope it isn't bricked totally, is it? What do I have to do to get it working again?

20221128_2244_132.txt 1.78 kB · 1 download 20221128_2245_132.txt 2.87 kB · 0 downloads

Both of those debug logs show that the firmware was installed successfully. Please capture debug output from FujiNet when trying to boot the Atari and if you could start a new forum thread about your issue.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:26 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

try a different usb port and a different cable, make sure firmware matches you hardware, check for fixes, launch a new instance (user) in windows if that's what you are using) and flash from there. include any information/logs/debug info you get.

thank you for the tips to exclude hardware malfunctions.  Two more Fujinet could be updated.  I'll attach the debug with the next answering post

On 11/29/2022 at 1:19 AM, mozzwald said:

Both of those debug logs show that the firmware was installed successfully. Please capture debug output from FujiNet when trying to boot the Atari and if you could start a new forum thread about your issue.

There is no reaction on booting the Atari with this Fujinet any more.  Neither on the Atari nor in the debug output.  There is shown that the update was installed on the Fujinet and the buttons working well.  What is necessary to make the Fujinet work again?

22 hours ago, Bitbastel said:

There is no reaction on booting the Atari with this Fujinet any more.  Neither on the Atari nor in the debug output.  There is shown that the update was installed on the Fujinet and the buttons working well.  What is necessary to make the Fujinet work again?

After flashing the fujinet do you see the fujinet boot messages in the flash tool debug output? Something like this (and more) should appear:

[22:45:17] FujiNet 0.5.393a4d49 2022-10-04 03:09:33 Started @ 4
[22:45:17] Starting heap: 4376571
[22:45:17] Detected Hardware Version: 1.0
[22:45:17] SPIFFS mounted.

If you see that, the fujinet is correctly flashed and outputting debug information. Then leave it connected to the computer and attempt to boot the Atari. You should see more debug output as the Atari tried to load the config disk from Fujinet. If you do not see messages, what do the LEDs looks like on the Fujinet? Any of them on, flashing, etc?

5 hours ago, mozzwald said:

After flashing the fujinet do you see the fujinet boot messages in the flash tool debug output? Something like this (and more) should appear:

[22:45:17] FujiNet 0.5.393a4d49 2022-10-04 03:09:33 Started @ 4
[22:45:17] Starting heap: 4376571
[22:45:17] Detected Hardware Version: 1.0
[22:45:17] SPIFFS mounted.

If you see that, the fujinet is correctly flashed and outputting debug information. Then leave it connected to the computer and attempt to boot the Atari. You should see more debug output as the Atari tried to load the config disk from Fujinet. If you do not see messages, what do the LEDs looks like on the Fujinet? Any of them on, flashing, etc?

shoot!  The debug log got stuck and wasn't sent with my reply 🙄  So next try here

Log "20221101_2019_132.txt" ➡️ Booting the Atari didn't induce any reaction neither in the debug log nor on the Atari.  But the log shows the Fujinet is alive and the flashed version is named in the log.  Pressing the buttons is shown in the log, too.  Pressing button c restarts the Fujinet.  In that log line 82 and the following shows the Fujinet is correctly flashed:

[20:19:40] FujiNet 0.5.7eb55adb 2022-10-12 01:41:41 Started @ 4
[20:19:40] Starting heap: 4376531
[20:19:40] Detected Hardware Version: 1.1-1.5
[20:19:40] Enabled Safe Reset Button C
[20:19:41] SPIFFS mounted.
[20:19:41] E (1465) vfs_fat_sdmmc: sdmmc_card_init failed (0x107).
[20:19:41] SD mount failed with code #263, "ESP_ERR_TIMEOUT"

SD card wasn't attached.

20221101_2019_132.txt

1 hour ago, Bitbastel said:

shoot!  The debug log got stuck and wasn't sent with my reply 🙄  So next try here

Log "20221101_2019_132.txt" ➡️ Booting the Atari didn't induce any reaction neither in the debug log nor on the Atari.  But the log shows the Fujinet is alive and the flashed version is named in the log.  Pressing the buttons is shown in the log, too.  Pressing button c restarts the Fujinet.  In that log line 82 and the following shows the Fujinet is correctly flashed:

[20:19:40] FujiNet 0.5.7eb55adb 2022-10-12 01:41:41 Started @ 4
[20:19:40] Starting heap: 4376531
[20:19:40] Detected Hardware Version: 1.1-1.5
[20:19:40] Enabled Safe Reset Button C
[20:19:41] SPIFFS mounted.
[20:19:41] E (1465) vfs_fat_sdmmc: sdmmc_card_init failed (0x107).
[20:19:41] SD mount failed with code #263, "ESP_ERR_TIMEOUT"

SD card wasn't attached.

20221101_2019_132.txt 3.67 kB · 0 downloads

What SD card are you using ?

-Thom