IGNORED

Why no love for Apollo?

retroeight

I don't actually own any Apollo games, so I can't trash or defend them.

But the popular narrative is that a bunch of fly-by-night companies rushed bad quality games for the 2600 in 1982, and destroyed the entire videogame market in the process.

But when you actually go and look at the output of these "fly by night" that littered the bargain bins the most in that era,  you find that many of them actually had some unique hidden gems.    So you realize "US games" didn't suck so bad,  "Xonox" didn't suck so bad,  "CBS" was actually pretty good,  "Games by Apollo"   aha!  There's the problem!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, keithbk said:

Apollo gets a bad rap after he tried to force Captain Kirk to worship him and threatened to crush the Enterprise.

I won't have anything to do with him, even if he does cast himself to the wind and say he's sorry.

People forget how many bad episodes of ST:OS there really were in their 3 season run. Sure there are gems like the Trouble with Tribbles, and The Corbomite Maneuver, but there are so many episodes that feature witches and goblins, or 1920s gangsters, or Spock’s Brain that don’t belong in a science fiction show.

• Like 1

I first came across Apollo with Infiltrate, and as a I kid I loved it. But as an adult, I wish there was something like a 7800 version that could expand on the concept a bit. In a way, it's sort of like Elevator Action, just no doors to go into. I really love the explosions in it though :P The weird graphical glitches also have some charm to them, but that's just nostalgia talking.

The only other one of their games I've played some since was Space Cavern, which is decent. I think I tried Lochjaw and Lost Luggage once or twice, but can't really remember them. Overall so much of what they made was pretty shallow, so I get why they get the bad rap. It's kind of like Data Age, where most of their stuff was rushed crap, then you suddenly had this gem of Frankenstein's Monster

• Like 1

The only two Apollo games I owned back in the day were Space Cavern and Final Approach.

Space Cavern was an uninspiring shooter. I would much rather play Megamania or GI Joe Cobra Strike (the graphics in this one felt reminiscent).

Final Approach was actually a unique game concept. It was fun for a limited amount of time, and was a precursor to those mobile time management games, Flight Control/Traffic Rush, that you need to prevent collisions. So someone thought the idea had merit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_Control_(video_game)

The problem with Apollo is so many "almost" good games...

When a game is "almost" good it's almost worse than being just bad. The first few levels start out fun then the difficulty gets unplayable or minor/major nuisances start becoming more prevalent.

A game like Wabbit starts out awesome, then quickly sucks...you keep trying to like it, playing it every so often, then you remember why you shelved it...would have been better if it just sucked completely and didn't tease me with being almost good. Infiltrate kind of suffers from this too...Shark Attack was so close but meh, every time I come back to it I remember...

So many games in the Apollo library could have been so much better if they tried just a little harder, took a little extra time...maybe they were rushed?

Ever restart a game of lost luggage because you accidentally hit the fire button? At least they fixed it in later revisions but the game itself still suffered from "almost" good...

I don't know, thats my guess as to why they get shat on so hard. Nothing worse then liking a game for a few minutes, then quickly hating it :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, roadrunner said:

It uses joysticks. I haven't played Dog Patch.

That is unfortunate (joystick control). Dog Patch was an arcade port (didn't know this) for the Bally Astrocade.  I believe it was only a two player game. It used the tops of the Bally controllers (paddle) to adjust the angle of your shotgun,  and the trigger fires a shot. The object of the game is to shoot the can that is thrown up in the air over your opponents head to score. The score is based on the number of hits by both players before clearing the screen. 

• Like 1

How do u do that?
I'm not quite sure how I made it happen, but basically I found myself in a position where I could just stand in one spot and constantly shoot and I don't die and the bad guys just kept running into my bullets. So I just sat there with my finger on the button for 3 hours and rolled the score

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Infiltrate was the only Apollo game I played.  But I really enjoyed it.  The enemies looked just like Fry Guys.  It was very nerve-wracking when they shot super-fast and would wait on the opposite side of an elevator from you and just hold down the trigger.  Yikes!

• Like 1