IGNORED

Games that should have a sequel?

hizzy

Playing adventure II and Haunted House II made me think of other games that could have had a sequel. Any game could have a sequel that expands on the mythology. I have always been impressed with Mario's trajectory. He's in Donkey Kong & his own games. And there is so much variety in the game play. There's Super Mario Bros, Mario Cart, etc...

I would like to see a Pacman driving game, a Galaga with new enemies and layout, and maybe a game where the hero becomes the bad guy - Pitfall III: The Fall of Pitfall Harry. :)

Any other ideas? 

1 hour ago, hizzy said:

Playing adventure II and Haunted House II made me think of other games that could have had a sequel. Any game could have a sequel that expands on the mythology. I have always been impressed with Mario's trajectory. He's in Donkey Kong & his own games. And there is so much variety in the game play. There's Super Mario Bros, Mario Cart, etc...

I would like to see a Pacman driving game, a Galaga with new enemies and layout, and maybe a game where the hero becomes the bad guy - Pitfall III: The Fall of Pitfall Harry. :)

Any other ideas? 

Pitfall Harry and Bounty Bob go One on One basketball?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It’s not clear if you want the legacy of the characters to continue or if you’re looking for sequels that expand on established gameplay.  Like Mario driving in go kart races really has nothing to do with expanding on the “climbing structures” platformer gameplay of OG Donkey Kong.

For the gameplay, what’s interesting is that if you aren’t tied to exact characters, much of the classic evolution took place across multiple brands as game companies stole and evolved each other’s ideas.  For example, you could make the case that Galaxian, Phoenix, and a few other clonish coin-op games were sequels to Space Invaders, followed by an explosion of 3rd gen coin and home “horizontal slider” shooters that included Galaga, Megamania, Spider Fighter, and many others.  As well as 4th gen games that followed those threads.  Like IMHO Gyruss is Galaga wrapped around a tube. 

Tons and tons of maze games that followed Pac-Man, several boulder-busters to follow Asteroids, and even a few that only got a couple indirect sequels of this kind, like Armor Attack is a child of Combat. 

All that said, the game I’d love to see that I don’t think got a character sequel OR a gameplay sequel is Robot Tank.  I’d love to see a sequel with a Starmaster-like map screen and the sense you were working your way through a campaign with a mix of offense and defense.  Also, some mixed terrain, where you have to fight your way through some mountain passes with ambushes and so on.  Or maybe you have to take out a bridge that’s being defended by enemy tanks.  Lots of fun ways to carry forward the fast-paced FPS tank combat while growing past the flat plain with only the weather effects as the only changing element.

• Like 6

Superman should have had a sequel, as should have Adventure.

Superman is a logical game for a sequel as it was early enough in the Atari run to merit another story and game. Plenty of comic history to draw upon.

Adventure was also worthy of a sequel, and the Swordquest games do NOT qualify. In fact, Swordquest should have NEVER had a sequel as the concept was flawed from the outset. There are already so many Adventure-style Homebrews, Atari REALLY missed the boat on this one.

• Like 3

If I think of a sequence, I think of Jungle Hunt. This Taito classic together with Moon Patrol from Irem, were the ones that marked my childhood in the arcades of the 80s.
My idea for a sequel would be Sir Dudley's son going on a rescue mission for a parents,  arrested by a rival tribe the first game. The challenges would be logically new and longer than the original. The title of the game would be something like Dudley Jr - Back to the Jungle. ?

Edited by alfredtdk
  • Like 1

How about some Activision sequels?  Chopper Command 2 would be fun; it could be like Gradius where you get additional weapons to use against enemies.

Another Keystone Kapers game would be a blast.  You can have a bigger department store to chase Harry Hooligan with new hazards like hostile animals from the pets department, toy soldiers with live ammo and even Harry Hooligan with a gang.

11 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

How about some Activision sequels?  Chopper Command 2 would be fun; it could be like Gradius where you get additional weapons to use against enemies.

Another Keystone Kapers game would be a blast.  You can have a bigger department store to chase Harry Hooligan with new hazards like hostile animals from the pets department, toy soldiers with live ammo and even Harry Hooligan with a gang.

God Rush is the spiritual sequel to Keystone Kapers.

On 12/12/2020 at 3:40 AM, high voltage said:

I would've liked some Activision sequels, we had Pitfall II, and later, River Raid II, Ghostbusters II.

Enduro 2 would've been nice, Space Shuttle could've had a sequel (Rescue from Space)

But Atari had so many games, I think the programmers rather did new games, than sequels?

I think the conventional wisdom back then was that sequels are never as good as the original.   That may have been true of books and movies,  but when it came to games, we soon discovered that sequels often blew the originals away!  So much was learned from creating the first, that the sequel could be taken to another level.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:31 PM, keithbk said:

Superman should have had a sequel, as should have Adventure.

Superman is a logical game for a sequel as it was early enough in the Atari run to merit another story and game. Plenty of comic history to draw upon.

Adventure was also worthy of a sequel, and the Swordquest games do NOT qualify. In fact, Swordquest should have NEVER had a sequel as the concept was flawed from the outset. There are already so many Adventure-style Homebrews, Atari REALLY missed the boat on this one.

Agree 100% on Superman.

And we are all waiting for Gold Rush.

What I like better than a sequel is when a character is used in a game. 

For all you homebrew publishers.... Ptfall Harry and the Communist Mutants from Outer Space. Why keep Harry in a Jungle? 

6 hours ago, Metal Jesus said:

Oh man I would LOVE a sequel to H.E.R.O.

Ohhh yeah! That game needed a sequel for sure! There was way more they could have done with that character, especially when you consider he had a copter backpack! 

Pitfall 2 was one of the best sequels ever and at the time of its release it blew me away. I think then and now I consider it one of the best Atari 2600 games. Pitfall 3 should have been a thing. I also wish they had broken up the 007 games into more fleshed out games based on the movies. I'm a sucker for movie based games, so maybe that just my biased. 

A co-op two player Pressure Cooker sequel would be great! There have been so many cooking games since then, it would only make sense incorporate some of those ideas back into a Pressure Cooker II

Another one would be a more vast Frostbite sequel where it's not limited to just one screen and there's different areas you're able to jump to.

- James