IGNORED

DB9/DIN6/DB15 joystick pinouts

zzarko

Hi all,

I'm in the process of expanding my old joystick tester ( https://bitbucket.org/zzarko/joysticktester ), and for now I have the support for the following:

DB9 joysticks/joypads: Atari 8bit/Commodore , Atari 7800, Amstrad CPC, MSX, Amiga CD32, ZX Spectrum+2/3, Sega Master, Sega Genesis, Vectrex, Ti 99/4a, Odyssey2, Tomy Tutor, Sharp X68000, FM Towns, ColecoVision, Apple IIC (last five are untested as I do not have any of those joysticks, the code is based on the pinout descriptions I have found)

DB9 mice/paddle: Atari/Commodore Paddle, Amiga Mouse, Atari ST Mouse

DB15 joysticks: PC Gameport, BBC B

DIN joysticks (DIN6 connector): Videopac G7400, Dragon 32/64, Tandy CoCo

I was planning to add support for MSX mouse and trackball, but I'm currently having some electrical issues with that (hope to be solved). I have also thought about adding Amstrad CPC plus analog joystick (DB15), but for its pinout I do not have any more room on Arduino.

Here is current prototype in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZIBZkaZvH8

Anyhow, what I wanted to ask is does somebody here knows any other DB9 or DIN6 joystick with different pinout than those I have already implemented?

@carlsson Didn't know about Fairchild, thanks! As for Atari 5200, I have already looked at that one, but as I have female DB15 for connecting PC/BBC joysticks, it won't work, and adding another connector just for that one isn't feasible for me. I couldn't find Soundic SD050 pinout for now.

@DistantStar001 I have considered Intellivision II (and Aquarius), but as I'm on about 90% of used program memory on Arduino, I'm not sure fro now. I have a non-working Intellivision console, but I think that the controllers are not detachable, so not suitable for testing the code.

@OLD CS1 I have already implemented TI99, testing works for both joysticks.

Meanwhile I have also found 3DO, but that one I cannot implement and test the code without actually having one. I have tried to just write the code for Sega Genesis and Amiga CD32 based on specifications, but that didn't work, having the real hardware was essential for making it work.

And thank you all for answers! If someone knows more, please tell...

10 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Heh. Breezed right over that in your list.

Do not worry, it is a rather large list :)

I have looked at Sord M5, it uses mini DIN. There are several joysticks with mini DIN (Commodore Plus/4 for example), but I have found that they all use different mechanically incompatible pinouts, so I cannot use one mini DIN and cover all of them. For that reason I have excluded mini DIN for now. There is another DIN pinout with smaller spacing between the pins (incompatible with DIN6), mostly used by Russian ZX clones. I'm still considering should I include that one too.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:35 AM, zzarko said:

I couldn't find Soundic SD050 pinout for now.

I realized that I meant SD-070. See this eBay auction for some pics. However these controllers use 7-pin 270 degree DIN so it wouldn't fit your device anyway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONSOLE-HANIMEX-SD-070-PROGRAMMABLE-HOME-VIDEO-GAME-PAL-/254268253878