IGNORED

Ghosts N Goblins Resurrection - Switch Feb 25 2021!

Tanooki

17 hours ago, Atariboy said:

Not only that, but we're getting a collection that amounts to Capcom Arcade Cabinet 2 as well (There's a bit of overlap, but not much). :)

I came into this thread hoping for the original arcade games, glad we're getting those too. 

https://mynintendonews.com/2020/12/11/capcom-arcade-stadium-is-coming-to-the-nintendo-switch-in-february-2021/

It also overlaps a bit with the Capcom beat 'em up collection and the Street Fighter collection already on Switch...

Wow had no idea about the cabinet.  I'll grab the 1943 for free, favorite of the 194x games.  But beyond that, I kind of wish they had not gone digital only and mimicked SNK with their bundle.  I'm not much on SNK games pre-Neo Geo so I never picked it up as I knew I'd rarely if ever bother after the first time.  Capcom though, there are some really epic 80s and earlier 90s games I'd be all over if they popped up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DavidD said:

If you download Capcom Arcade before the... 25th?... you can download the original arcade Ghosts 'n Goblins for free.

When Capcom does their inevitable 50% off sale, I'll buy the packs of games... for now, I'll live with my free copies of 1943 and GnG.

Early adopters are reporting input lag and emulation issues in some games: 

It's pretty disappointing, I had high hopes for this to be a definitive collection and not just "good for the price" (like I can't play these games for free anyway?). Ghosts 'n' Goblins seems to work ok, but for the English version, I think they used the hardest ROM revision, the one where you have to fight two cyclopes at the same time on the last level (among other changes). I switched it to the Japanese version and I'm never switching it back...

As a (filthy) casual arcade player, I found really no lag issues using my Pro controller wirelessly with Capcom Arcade Stadium on my big living room TV.   The bigger issue I had was finding a combination of screen type that i could live with because the 'default' was tiny and had the arcade bezel around it.  I dorked around with maybe a dozen of the games without much issue.

They got me for the 3-pack bundle but I can justify the price per game to myself considering what I'm getting.  

On 2/19/2021 at 11:31 AM, digdugnate said:

As a (filthy) casual arcade player, I found really no lag issues using my Pro controller wirelessly with Capcom Arcade Stadium on my big living room TV.   The bigger issue I had was finding a combination of screen type that i could live with because the 'default' was tiny and had the arcade bezel around it.  I dorked around with maybe a dozen of the games without much issue.

They got me for the 3-pack bundle but I can justify the price per game to myself considering what I'm getting.  

Ugh I hate that.  I'm trying to tolerate it, but it's wholly unacceptable having the pivoted perspective and tiny screen thing.  What ever happened to just full screen and having the old bezel work on the sides if not all around?  That used to be the normal thing to do.

Like that other post.  I may get a few, maybe, when the get around to their 50% off sales too.  I have this beef with picking up stuff on a console or handheld because they have an expiration date vs on GoG/Steam where I can still use stuff they tossed up there 10-15 years back on ever upgrading OS/hardware too.  When I get new systems I don't go heavily back to the past ones, at least from this last 20 years (GBA withstanding.)  I don't recall if this package of arcade games is on PC too, I'd maybe be more inclined to go for it there even if it is a bit less convenient than a handheld.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ugh I hate that.  I'm trying to tolerate it, but it's wholly unacceptable having the pivoted perspective and tiny screen thing.  What ever happened to just full screen and having the old bezel work on the sides if not all around?  That used to be the normal thing to do.

Like that other post.  I may get a few, maybe, when the get around to their 50% off sales too.  I have this beef with picking up stuff on a console or handheld because they have an expiration date vs on GoG/Steam where I can still use stuff they tossed up there 10-15 years back on ever upgrading OS/hardware too.  When I get new systems I don't go heavily back to the past ones, at least from this last 20 years (GBA withstanding.)  I don't recall if this package of arcade games is on PC too, I'd maybe be more inclined to go for it there even if it is a bit less convenient than a handheld.

I did get it reasonable looking but it took me a few minutes to get things 'just right'.  So far, still enjoying the set. :)

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I did get it reasonable looking but it took me a few minutes to get things 'just right'.  So far, still enjoying the set. :)

That's good.  I'm debating what to do with it on Switch.  I know they'll have support for the system for years to come given a Pro/Plus unit is on the horizon, I know this as much and I don't mean internet rumor mill bs.  But, it's also soon after some time lapse heading to Steam.  Since my last post I looked, it's noted at the very bottom of the site so all 4 major game players (sony, pc, ms) get it too but with a fat TBA on the site.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, digdugnate said:

As a (filthy) casual arcade player, I found really no lag issues using my Pro controller wirelessly with Capcom Arcade Stadium on my big living room TV. 

On 2/19/2021 at 10:56 AM, Recycled said:

I just got done playing the 2 freebies in handheld mode. I didn't notice any problems.  But what do I know.

From some looking around I've done, it looks like tales of lag have been greatly exaggerated, and it's actually average or better compared to most other Switch arcade ports. There are some emulation issues, though: incorrect sounds and occasional stuttering in some games. There's already a patch today, so they may be trying to fix this stuff. In Street Fighter 2, the rising sun in Honda's background has been removed (i.e. censored -- symbol of Japanese nationalism). Trivial but I hate when they do that stuff. I don't know of anything else that has been changed.

The rewind feature, save states, slow motion etc are all pretty great. It's arguably much better than if the same games had been released through Arcade Archives, and obviously much cheaper.

But on the thread's official topic: my initial impression of GnG Resurrection, based on level 1, is highly positive. Very much just like old times (on steroids). Even on a lower difficulty setting, it's no joke, but they've tried to make it welcoming to beginners (after dying a bunch, they started giving me tips on how to pass the first boss). Looks like they implemented the choose-your-path feature that was originally intended for Ghouls n Ghosts, but cut for time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok I am mixed on this one, positive mixed, but mixed.

I'm quite versed in playing GnG and Ghouls too, SNES game as well.  That said, on Legend this game is unreasonably handing my ass to me as is Knight nearly the same, hard to feel the difference other than maybe stuff taking a few more hits or maybe 1-2 less bad guys on screen at any time.  It's not GnG hard, it's GnG on a steroids, crack, meth blend hard.  Squire in all fairness feels as hard as the old games do.  I'm not wanting to put it on baby mode or whatever it is, immortality is a cheat even if it would allow one to experience the stages and enemies in a way.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ok I am mixed on this one, positive mixed, but mixed.

I'm quite versed in playing GnG and Ghouls too, SNES game as well.  That said, on Legend this game is unreasonably handing my ass to me as is Knight nearly the same, hard to feel the difference other than maybe stuff taking a few more hits or maybe 1-2 less bad guys on screen at any time.  It's not GnG hard, it's GnG on a steroids, crack, meth blend hard.  Squire in all fairness feels as hard as the old games do.  I'm not wanting to put it on baby mode or whatever it is, immortality is a cheat even if it would allow one to experience the stages and enemies in a way.

Well I started on Squire because I thought I'd familiarize myself with the game before trying the hard modes. Joke's on me, because yep it's already hard mode, even though it takes like five hits before you die. The boss fights in particular are way longer, harder and more elaborate than the old games. Gotta love how the UI throw little popups at you with hints and encouragement and "handholding" while the game itself beats you to death and laughs at you.

GAME: Congratulations, you're halfway through this boss fight! Don't give up!

ME: Halfway?! *gives up*

What I've seen of the game seems to be a mix of remade settings/monsters from the first two games plus a whole lot of new stuff. I thought it would feel a little more like a remake of the original in that sense like e.g. Wii Punch-Out.

I like all the weapons so far... it's not like Super GnG where 70% of the "power-ups" are basically a death sentence...