IGNORED

Ghosts N Goblins Resurrection - Switch Feb 25 2021!

Tanooki

The boss are long indeed, but in a sense I found them easier - for instance I beat the one from the "second" first level (the one based on Ghouls 'n Ghosts first level) on my second try (and I didn't have my full armour on the first). At least they have patterns and they are not as random as the enemy spawning and items during the rest of the levels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daj said:

Well I started on Squire because I thought I'd familiarize myself with the game before trying the hard modes. Joke's on me, because yep it's already hard mode, even though it takes like five hits before you die. The boss fights in particular are way longer, harder and more elaborate than the old games. Gotta love how the UI throw little popups at you with hints and encouragement and "handholding" while the game itself beats you to death and laughs at you.

GAME: Congratulations, you're halfway through this boss fight! Don't give up!

ME: Halfway?! *gives up*

What I've seen of the game seems to be a mix of remade settings/monsters from the first two games plus a whole lot of new stuff. I thought it would feel a little more like a remake of the original in that sense like e.g. Wii Punch-Out.

I like all the weapons so far... it's not like Super GnG where 70% of the "power-ups" are basically a death sentence...

Seems about right, I hadn't seen any begging help popups yet though.  I can not for the life of me figure out how to lay any hits down on the red arremer at all in stage 1 (Ghosts remaster) at the top of that hill.  If you face him or not, any projectile goes his way he moves faster than it does which was really aggravating.  I ended up brute forcing my way beyond the jerk down the hill and over that river bit to the next area before I could get roasted.

It really is a nasty game, and yeah it's amusing it gives you a smile before stabbing you basically in its helpful but not approach.  I don't know if I'd dare even call what it does handholding, but like a casual popup which is no more helpful than taking a quick glance at a gamefaq.  You still have to suffer through it, not like some others where you're invisible for a stretch or get super juiced to just stomp through unaffected.

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Seems about right, I hadn't seen any begging help popups yet though.  I can not for the life of me figure out how to lay any hits down on the red arremer at all in stage 1 (Ghosts remaster) at the top of that hill.  If you face him or not, any projectile goes his way he moves faster than it does which was really aggravating.  I ended up brute forcing my way beyond the jerk down the hill and over that river bit to the next area before I could get roasted.

There's a secret passage just before the Red Arremer, opened by the falling tombstone, that allows you to skip him - if you survive 20 secs of either flying knights or zombies. But it's doable, esp. with magic.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2021 at 11:54 AM, Daj said:

From some looking around I've done, it looks like tales of lag have been greatly exaggerated, and it's actually average or better compared to most other Switch arcade ports. There are some emulation issues, though: incorrect sounds and occasional stuttering in some games. There's already a patch today, so they may be trying to fix this stuff. In Street Fighter 2, the rising sun in Honda's background has been removed (i.e. censored -- symbol of Japanese nationalism). Trivial but I hate when they do that stuff. I don't know of anything else that has been changed.

Capcom Arcade got a major patch recently that fixed a bunch of emulation problems and added some control options (like faster rotation in Forgotten Worlds and variable autofire settings for some games). I had somewhat mixed feelings about being an early adopter before, but I can't find much to complain about now, all the little issues that were bugging me seem to be smoothed out. The main thing that really feels missing is online options, but since Capcom seems to be treating this as the one big platform for all their old arcade games going forward, maybe there's some hope for that, eventually?

Also, it's out on PC and PS4 now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, Parker77 said:

I really need to go back to this.

It handed my ass to me so badly that I walked away lest I do something unpleasant to my Switch.

Mind you, that's the series in a nutshell - I'e been trying to 1CC the original for a good twenty years now, still no joy.

I did the same, then forgot about it...until your post.

I like the franchise, but even this one is bitchy and nasty even on normal, far nastier than any previous GnG game.  I mean I get why, it's not normal, you earn unlocks that power up Arthur, in a weird way, like a SOTN style game except the stages aren't seamless and open world like that in the confines of its castle.  I didn't relish re-running the same stage over and over and over again wash rinse repeat to get enough of those fluffy little souls to eek out slightly better performance.

From what I've read, the whole game is like that, so it's a hellish grind just to get up to where you have a fighting good chance of doing alright with it, like previous games, so you're starting out as a total super gimp.  In a way it's like GNG meets a rogue type...die, die die...die some more and eek out a small improvement to take another 100 beatings to do it again. My guess that's why I fell out of conversation and advertising awareness online fast after it released.

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I did the same, then forgot about it...until your post.

I like the franchise, but even this one is bitchy and nasty even on normal, far nastier than any previous GnG game.  I mean I get why, it's not normal, you earn unlocks that power up Arthur, in a weird way, like a SOTN style game except the stages aren't seamless and open world like that in the confines of its castle.  I didn't relish re-running the same stage over and over and over again wash rinse repeat to get enough of those fluffy little souls to eek out slightly better performance.

From what I've read, the whole game is like that, so it's a hellish grind just to get up to where you have a fighting good chance of doing alright with it, like previous games, so you're starting out as a total super gimp.  In a way it's like GNG meets a rogue type...die, die die...die some more and eek out a small improvement to take another 100 beatings to do it again. My guess that's why I fell out of conversation and advertising awareness online fast after it released.

Yes, this is how I felt. Like the PSP game, but without the stage design. I'll give it another go over the weekend though.

On 9/9/2021 at 5:43 AM, Parker77 said:

I really need to go back to this.

It handed my ass to me so badly that I walked away lest I do something unpleasant to my Switch.

Mind you, that's the series in a nutshell - I'e been trying to 1CC the original for a good twenty years now, still no joy.

GnG Res mostly spurred me to play the old games, moreso than play the new one. Still on the to-play-more list, but hey I finally 1cc'd Ghouls n Ghosts.

Ghouls n Ghosts is my bane, never finished that one, can and have killed off the original (nes, gbc, and arcade) in the past, and Super GnG on the SNES too.

Hey check the timestamp on this video.  The NES game isn't that bad, and there are tricks I forgot over time I remembered watching this earlier that work great.  I recall some of this does work in the arcade too scrolling annoyances off screen instead of getting into a fight.

Edited by Tanooki