IGNORED

How many of you want 5200 Tempest ported to 8-bit?

BIGHMW

How many want an 8-bit version of 5200 Tempest???  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How many want an 8-bit version of 5200 Tempest???

• Yes, I want to play too, it's about time we 8-bit owners have one!!!
    • Nope, I already have a 5200 so I don't need it.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

It's not like I didn't try the diplomatic way first. I DID try e-mailing Homesoft and submitted some files (5200 Tempest - both versions, and also the wonderful 5200 translation of @Thelen's 8-bit Yar's Strike that @playsoft did for me back in April) but he was hesitant to do them because Tempest was an official release despite it not being available on 8-bit systems. What the heck is everybody afraid of???

If these guys do it for the love of the systems then why did Homesoft turn me down??? The diplomatic angle didn't work with him, therefore THAT'S why I now have to resort to bribing people ("Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase did it on his way to the WWE Hall Of Fame) to do those conversions for me, besides, I would be using it for personal use only, unless there is a demand to release it to the rest of the world (all of you guys).

What's everybody afraid of? If Keithen Hayenga wanted it to be playable on the Atari 8-bit line, he would've coded it himself. It was him who came back and finished up the game because he was prevented from finishing it back in 1984 due to Atari Inc going down the drain. That was a regret of his and he came back decades later and finished it.

And what are you going to do about the "missing" 2nd fire button on the CX22/CX80 compared to the CX53 on the 5200? Are you going to have everyone wire up the paddle lines to support a second button that'll have to be added to those Trak-Balls or are you going to advocate using a Track & Field Controller in conjunction with it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

What's everybody afraid of? If Keithen Hayenga wanted it to be playable on the Atari 8-bit line, he would've coded it himself. It was him who came back and finished up the game because he was prevented from finishing it back in 1984 due to Atari Inc going down the drain. That was a regret of his and he came back decades later and finished it.

And what are you going to do about the "missing" 2nd fire button on the CX22/CX80 compared to the CX53 on the 5200? Are you going to have everyone wire up the paddle lines to support a second button that'll have to be added to those Trak-Balls or are you going to advocate using a Track & Field Controller in conjunction with it?

About the missing second fire button, both the 2600 Tempest and the 8-bit Tempest Xtreem and Elite use the up/down with the joystick to activate the Superzapper, so with the CX22/CX80 trak-ball going up or down should do the same trick.

And yes Keithen Hayenga did a fantastic job on it, I gave him high praise for it too, well deserved. Had Atari Inc. not gone belly-up I think it could've been what saves the 5200 from going into extinction in favor of the 7800.  As a matter of fact as soon as I record the in-game voiceover I will post up the finished video for it on YouTube, along with one for Yars' Return, which were both filmed over a month ago, so those will be done and up tomorrow. :) 

9 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

And what are you going to do about the "missing" 2nd fire button on the CX22/CX80 compared to the CX53 on the 5200?

If it were my game, I’d do what DEFENDER does and use the space bar. NBD. :) 

That said, threads like this are pushy, demanding and since they’ve been popping up all over the forum from the same guy, getting kind of annoying. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

That said, threads like this are pushy, demanding and since they’ve been popping up all over the forum from the same guy, getting kind of annoying. 

Don't feed the troll.

One of the reasons I like this site is that it's mostly free of the acrimony of 2020. Retro video games, and discussions about them on this site, have been my refuge the last few months.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 3:50 PM, BIGHMW said:

Well, considering that there are thousands of titles available for the XL/XE computers there are a few notable games not in that lineup, this biggest and most glaring of omissions, of course, is Tempest, along with Castle Blast, Xari Arena (AtariAge version), Combat 2 - Advanced, and Haunted House II, those are just some of them.

Fortunately I own a 5200 so I get to play them, not too well, due to the sloppy control, but nevertheless I play them. Some of my 8-bit colleagues would like to see all of those games converted to the 8-bit computers, and if I could only have one system, especially nowadays after discovering that the 5200 has only 16K of RAM as opposed to the XL/XE/XEGS computers which have 64K (128K for the 130XE), it would be the 65XE in which has taken over from the 5200 as my most-played on system, and we all know that not all 8-bit games can be converted to the 5200, but as Glenn The 5200 Man proved years ago, all of the 5200 versions can be converted to the 8-bit computers, so I hope that maybe someone will step up to the plate and do them.

There are 5200 games that could never be played correctly on an 8bit like Real Sports Baseball where you need analog sticks and an inserts to play properly.  Games like Centipede also need an analog track ball or analog stick.  

We're in 2021 and you're still complaining about the controllers?  There are so many options.

Do you own Tempest on the 5200?  I paid the developer and Atari Age to support and bought the cartridge.  So unless you're willing to pay money to a developer, I don't think you should bug these developers.  Honestly, you're starting to get annoying.  You just keep making requests pretending that you represent the atari group.  Have some class and be more respectful to the developers.

I've own my XL since 1984 and my 5200 since 82 and my 5200 gets a lot more play today.     

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 9:06 AM, phuzaxeman said:

There are 5200 games that could never be played correctly on an 8bit like Real Sports Baseball where you need analog sticks and an inserts to play properly.  Games like Centipede also need an analog track ball or analog stick.  

We're in 2021 and you're still complaining about the controllers?  There are so many options.

Do you own Tempest on the 5200?  I paid the developer and Atari Age to support and bought the cartridge.  So unless you're willing to pay money to a developer, I don't think you should bug these developers.  Honestly, you're starting to get annoying.  You just keep making requests pretending that you represent the atari group.  Have some class and be more respectful to the developers.

I've own my XL since 1984 and my 5200 since 82 and my 5200 gets a lot more play today.     

Yes I DID own Tempest on cart until someone sold me a total package of over 300 ROMs for my (then-new) Atarimax multicart in a third-party e-mail transaction a few years back in which the ROM to Tempest just happened to be included (in fact both the fully-finished version and also a trak-ball version in which I have never tested were a part of that deal), so I ended up selling the cart.

BTW, I also have V61/Atari Sales Tempest Xtreem and it seems to play well with the digital joysticks on my XEGS and all you have to do is go down or up with the stick to activate the Superzapper so it should be a piece of cake to do an 8-bit version of 5200 Tempest. I have much higher scores on it than I do with my 5200 Tempest, even though I do like Keithen Haynega's 5200 rendition much better.

....and yes I WOULD pay money to get the official Keithen Hayenga version of it on cart for the 8-bit provided it was released. I did when it was put out for the 5200 and I would do the same for the XEGS too.

17 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Yes I DID own Tempest on cart until someone sold me a total package of over 300 ROMs for my (then-new) Atarimax multicart in a third-party e-mail transaction a few years back in which the ROM to Tempest just happened to be included (in fact both the fully-finished version and also a trak-ball version in which I have never tested were a part of that deal), so I ended up selling the cart.

BTW, I also have V61/Atari Sales Tempest Xtreem and it seems to play well with the digital joysticks on my XEGS and all you have to do is go down or up with the stick to activate the Superzapper so it should be a piece of cake to do an 8-bit version of 5200 Tempest. I have much higher scores on it than I do with my 5200 Tempest, even though I do like Keithen Haynega's 5200 rendition much better.

....and yes I WOULD pay money to get the official Keithen Hayenga version of it on cart for the 8-bit provided it was released. I did when it was put out for the 5200 and I would do the same for the XEGS too.

You have pirated software.  You are an annoying ***hole.  You've been asked multiple times to stop pestering people.  Why do you continue to engage in such anti-nice behaviour?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

The full complete version of Tempest was never released on rom and was not approved for free distribution. 

Edited by phuzaxeman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

You have much higher scores on 8bit tempest Xtreem because it's not the same game as the 5200 version. The 5200 is true to the arcade.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:48 PM, BIGHMW said:

It's not like I didn't try the diplomatic way first. I DID try e-mailing Homesoft and submitted some files (5200 Tempest - both versions, and also the wonderful 5200 translation of @Thelen's 8-bit Yar's Strike that @playsoft did for me back in April) but he was hesitant to do them because Tempest was an official release despite it not being available on 8-bit systems. What the heck is everybody afraid of???

If these guys do it for the love of the systems then why did Homesoft turn me down??? The diplomatic angle didn't work with him, therefore THAT'S why I now have to resort to bribing people ("Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase did it on his way to the WWE Hall Of Fame) to do those conversions for me, besides, I would be using it for personal use only, unless there is a demand to release it to the rest of the world (all of you guys).

So you asked a developer to covert an unauthorized copy of 5200 Tempest to the 8bit (which he said no)?  And then ask, "what the heck is everybody afraid of???"  And then ask yourself why did he homesoft turn you down?  So many wrong things in your post.  There's a reason the rom is not available. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...