IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I’ve got a POKEY sitting right here to put into it, but I can’t get the cart shell open. I’ve removed the screw - what’s the secret for popping the thing open? :) 

I honestly thought I was going to break my shell prying it opened.   I swore it had to be glued on.  It is just a super tight sealed /connection between the two halves.  Having a case mechanism on that locks that tight, indeed the screw will never be needed.  When you open it, you'll see the six tabs/notches holding it together.

P.S. Oh, yeah...my Concerto arrived today too. :)

• Like 1

Got mine today. Broke two pins off the Pokey desoldering it from the BB cart, but a 555 timer gave up two of its limbs to save my Pokey. Cart works great! Can't get Asteroids deluxe to run, but everything else I tried works. Pokey works too.

I also finally got a chance to try my AV mod on a modern TV. Nice clean picture but I get some flutter until the games start. Overdriving it perhaps...

Thanks Fred!

Received mine today. It wasn't hard to open at all.

I just pressed in on the top outer shell sides on the open cart end side of the cart. Then I slowly pulled up as I pressed on the middle sides, then the rear sides. It came apart quite easily.

Same with my $5 Ballblazer flea-market find that's getting it's Pokey transplanted this evening into the Concerto. My other spare Pokey was already used for dual-Pokey stereo on my 130XE.

Pressing in while pulling up seems to be the trick. If not, you are putting direct upward force on tabs which will break them.

Edited by NISMOPC

37 minutes ago, mimo said:

Odd, asteroids deluxe works fine on my pal and NTSC 7800s on fw .93

Yeah, that one was one I actually spent some time playing last night. Bob knocked it out of the park with that one. My Concerto came with firmware version 0.95. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, orangest said:

Is it still possible to reserve one? I don't seem to be able to from the site. 

It doesn't seem so at this time. I've been clicking for a couple of days now. ;) 

But I'm sure once Fred is back to the point where he feels he can take reservations again, he'll open them back up.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 1:48 PM, DrVenkman said:

So yay, my Concerto arrived!

I’ve got a POKEY sitting right here to put into it, but I can’t get the cart shell open. I’ve removed the screw - what’s the secret for popping the thing open? :) 

3D8AB247-D093-44AF-B12B-B445500D2631.jpeg

Don't pry the carts. It's too easy to damage them this way.

The secret is to put your left palm on one side of the label side of the shell with your fingers on the other, and your right hand to grasp the back side of the shell in a similar manner for leverage. Then use some squeezing force with your left hand to compress the label size of the shell just enough to get the tabs off and pull the cart halves apart. You can practice on a common 2600 cart until you get it down.

I will attempt to attach a video where I do this several times in a few seconds, watch carefully how the top half of the cart shell moves in relation to the bottom half:

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, batari said:

I will attempt to attach a video where I do this several times in a few seconds, watch carefully how the top half of the cart shell moves in relation to the bottom half:

IMG_1830.MOV

Oh, that's just bull$***...

Now I know how my wife feels, when she hands me a jar to open and I do it with ease, after she struggled trying to open it. ? ?

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Zonie said:

I Got a "detected F4"  message at the bottom but also noticed that my Asteroids deluxe file has a .bin not a .a78 extension. Every version I download has the .bin. Changing it didn't help...

That’s because the .A78 isn’t just a naming convention here. It means the file has or should have a valid cartridge header describing the rom itself. The files in Trebor’s ProPack all have valid .A78 cartridge headers and should be good to go. Search for that collection in this forum. Shoul be easy to find as it was updated less than a week ago. 

Nevermind. found a different rom and it runs now.

Wow. I need to rewire my asteroids controller so the shield button works as the second button on a 7800. I'll do a select switch so it still works on the 2600 as down. 

Edit: found Trebor's page and typed this while you were LOL.

Edited by Zonie
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 2:33 PM, Rey said:

Would it be possible to get the cart without the socket to solder a pokey one? 

If the problem with POKEYOne is that it's too tall, then yes, I would be willing. I am not sure the problem is with height, though, it may be that POKEYOne is wider than a POKEY chip? I don't have a POKEYOne so I can't say for sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, batari said:

If the problem with POKEYOne is that it's too tall, then yes, I would be willing. I am not sure the problem is with height, though, it may be that POKEYOne is wider than a POKEY chip? I don't have a POKEYOne so I can't say for sure.

I have a PokeyOne in my 1088XLD beta board as the right channel stereo sound source, where it works perfectly. It’s very similar in size to an ordinary DIP-40 IC. 

489F76D7-369B-4871-90BB-C544CBC3CED0.jpeg

• Like 1