IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

Will the firmware on the pre-production Concerto cart be upgradable? Obviously not for the extra memory support as stated but what about other improvements along the way? Also, do the pre-production carts also feature sockets for a POKEY chip? It looks like it does but just wanted to make sure.

7 hours ago, kynikos said:

Will the firmware on the pre-production Concerto cart be upgradable? Obviously not for the extra memory support as stated but what about other improvements along the way? Also, do the pre-production carts also feature sockets for a POKEY chip? It looks like it does but just wanted to make sure.

Yes, there will be firmware updates to all Concertos for improved functionality. As of this writing, all current Concertos have a POKEY socket for a sound chip (POKEY, or the upcoming HOKEY.)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

My guess is that it will allow running of ROMS that are 512K + 16K RAM and probably larger sizes up to 1mb.

This is true, the upgraded Concerto with an additional 512k of memory will support 524k ROMs, plus it will support 512k games like EXO when it's released.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:57 AM, Muddyfunster said:

My understanding is that the current 512k limit allows 512k carts but not any RAM (as everything has to fit inside the 512k the Concerto has available).

It is true that the standard (512k) Concerto will not support 524k ROMs.

Also, while the 512k will easily support some 512k mappings, since it's your game, I will mention here that I haven't sorted out how to get EXO's mapper working on 512k Concertos due to certain design constraints. The design constraints are related to Concerto's reverse-compatibility with Harmony Encore.

With the upgraded memory, however, the extra 512k is available in 7800 mode only and so upgraded Concertos will easily support EXO out of the box.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bikeguychicago said:

Will there be some type of option for those of us who already have the pre-production model to upgrade to the production version?

Fred stated on the previous page...

On 7/17/2021 at 1:46 AM, batari said:

To upgrade the memory in a production Concerto will probably require sending it back to me, as it requires removing and installing a few soldered-on, surface mount chips.

At a later date, you will also be able to buy an already upgraded Concerto. Upgrades of existing production Concertos will be available after the firmware support for extra memory is finished.

Patience.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, groundtrooper said:
9 hours ago, bikeguychicago said:

Will there be some type of option for those of us who already have the pre-production model to upgrade to the production version?

Fred stated on the previous page...

That doesn't really answer the question about pre-production units, though. I'm guessing that there probably is not a hardware upgrade path for those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I suspect that was a typo; it makes more sense that pre-production Concertos would need to be sent back to be upgraded, but @batari would have to confirm. 

@batari I believe was referring to the 512k to 1024k upgrade for the production version.  Current production units are shipping with 512k:

Presently, production Concertos are functionally the same as their pre-production cousins. However, they use an updated circuit board that has upgradable memory. The memory can be upgraded from 512k to 1MB. As the firmware support for upgraded memory is not finished yet, all are shipped with 512k. 

To upgrade the memory in a production Concerto will probably require sending it back to me, as it requires removing and installing a few soldered-on, surface mount chips.

After the 1024k production Concerto becomes available, then games like E.X.O. will be supported, as it requires 512k + 16k RAM:

It is true that the standard (512k) Concerto will not support 524k ROMs. 

Also, while the 512k will easily support some 512k mappings, since it's your game, I will mention here that I haven't sorted out how to get EXO's mapper working on 512k Concertos due to certain design constraints. The design constraints are related to Concerto's reverse-compatibility with Harmony Encore. 

With the upgraded memory, however, the extra 512k is available in 7800 mode only and so upgraded Concertos will easily support EXO out of the box.

In summary:

-Current pre-production Concerto carts support up to 144k ROMs and have a socket for a POKEY or (when available) HOKEY chip; the chip is not installed or provided.

-Current production Concerto carts support up to 512k ROMs (Excluding 512k + RAM) and have a socket for a POKEY or (when available) HOKEY chip; the chip is not installed or provided.  

-Ultimately, production Concerto carts will be made available that support up to 1024k ROMs (Including 512k + RAM), and have a socket with a HOKEY provided and installed (Optionally).

• Like 7

There isn't a hardware path to upgrade the memory in pre-production units. Those will be trade-in items, like I did with Harmony Encore. What I did there is I simply resold the traded-in Harmony carts for a $10 discount and I didn't have any particular issue reselling them. As long as I have no issue reselling the traded-in Concerto carts, I will allow trade-ins of older Concertos. However, if I start to amass a number of pre-production carts that don't sell promptly then I will have to suspend trade-ins until they do sell.

Production carts do have a hardware upgrade path so these will always be upgradable, but I recommend sending these back for upgrades. Although if you want, you can just get the chips directly from me and solder them yourself and save some money, I still recommend sending it back for the upgrade unless you are adept at surface-mount desoldering/soldering.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, sn8k said:

I want one of these things so bad. Paypal is my only way of buying things online.

I'd suggest asking around to see if someone (who takes PayPal) would buy one for you. Bribery might help. Maybe in the Marketplace.

(Sorry... not volunteering.)

I will be opening up limited PayPal sales this week. I am getting a page set up for it but it will be private as I don’t want more orders than I can handle in a reasonable amount of time. When I get that set up I will send an order URL to those who have contacted me about it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, batari said:

I will be opening up limited PayPal sales this week. I am getting a page set up for it but it will be private as I don’t want more orders than I can handle in a reasonable amount of time. When I get that set up I will send an order URL to those who have contacted me about it. 

@Batari, I want to buy one unit. Please let me know the PayPal link. Thanks.