IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

19 minutes ago, Albert said:

You do know that one person is responsible for designing, manufacturing, and selling the Harmony and Concerto cartridges?  This isn't some big corporation churning these out, in which case the delays would be more perplexing.  Please be patient, I know he's working hard to get these out.

..Al

My point is, you can order a Harmony Cart right now. No issue. I never had one. I have bought 3 at different points in time. I was able to get it no issue everytime and he was even nice enough to put a custom label on one for me. You can buy Harmony right now with paypal. But can't use it for Concerto.....

I get this is no corporation. None of this is. It's hard work. But if Im struggling to get my hands on it.....  I'm going to share that experience. 

Not everything is an attack on one thing or another. 

Now if I said "Hey @$$%##o, Where's my Concerto cart and accept paypal now or else"........ I can see where that is an issue.

Since I have you here....... I got 5 games in the que. I need to know what carts I am using for 3 of them, I don't care if you get to them this week or after. Just want to know what I need to complete the order in my cart please and thank you. If you're on vacation, It's cool. It can wait.

?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, sn8k said:

Now if I said "Hey @$$%##o, Where's my Concerto cart and accept paypal now or else"........ I can see where that is an issue.

That's not really much different from what you wrote above.

2 minutes ago, sn8k said:

Since I have you here....... I got 5 games in the que. I need to know what carts I am using for 3 of them, I don't care if you get to them this week or after. Just want to know what I need to complete the order in my cart please and thank you. If you're on vacation, It's cool. It can wait.

I'm a little confused -- are you waiting to place an order and need some input from me, or do you have an outstanding order in the store you're waiting on?

..Al

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

That's not really much different from what you wrote above.

I'm a little confused -- are you waiting to place an order and need some input from me, or do you have an outstanding order in the store you're waiting on?

..Al

I have sent you 3 or 4 emails. I need to know which boards i need for 3 of the games. Ninja Golf was one of them.... 

I'd love a kit form. I used to do SMD repair on cellphone and hard drive control boards for Solectron Scotland and I still dabble.

But I guess many do not and he'd waste time trying to support people over email etc. I've seen the horrors people do to circuit boards trying to solder, I get a repair job or two a month.

I'll wait for new stock... as long as they're coming, I can wait. Patience.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lucifershalo said:

same here, I will wait here until some are available again....

ps Concerto seems easier to use than Dragonfly , or am I missing something?

(I am enquiring, not bashing any product ;)

As someone with first hand experience with both the Concerto and the Dragonfly I can say that the dragonfly has 100 percent compatibility but the concerto currently does not. Some 7800's will not play nice with the Concerto based on chip dates but the Dragonfly works with all flavors of the 7800 console. The dragonfly can only be used for 7800 games but the Concerto can play 2600 games as well BUT there are currently still some issues on the 2600 side of things with some games as well. Concerto is on TV screen menu driven, plug in the cart and play. Dragonfly needs to be plugged into a power supply and uses an on-cart LCD menu to pick the game to play.  When the concerto is up to 100 percent compatibility on both the 7800 and 2600 side of things, it would be the easier of the 2 to use. Dragonfly is currently the only way to play the few things programmed that use the YAMAHA sound support chip. There is talk that in the future the Concerto might be able to play YAMAHA stuff. All in all, it's really up to you to pick which one you are interested in.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shawn said:

As someone with first hand experience with both the Concerto and the Dragonfly I can say that the dragonfly has 100 percent compatibility but the concerto currently does not. Some 7800's will not play nice with the Concerto based on chip dates but the Dragonfly works with all flavors of the 7800 console. 

The latest firmware works on many 7800s that previously had issues.

There was this post a bit ago that highlighted a model of CPU that once had issues, but with the firmware update I expect that not to be the case anymore. Also in that post is a note about some CPUs not functioning properly with Dragonfly, but I don't know if that issue has also been addressed for that device (it may have.)

If you don't have it, I would install the latest firmware (as of May 26, 2021). There are still a few games that aren't working yet but this is unrelated to the 7800's chips themselves.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, batari said:

The latest firmware works on many 7800s that previously had issues.

There was this post a bit ago that highlighted a model of CPU that once had issues, but with the firmware update I expect that not to be the case anymore. Also in that post is a note about some CPUs not functioning properly with Dragonfly, but I don't know if that issue has also been addressed for that device (it may have.)

If you don't have it, I would install the latest firmware (as of May 26, 2021). There are still a few games that aren't working yet but this is unrelated to the 7800's chips themselves.

I didn't realize there was also some SALLY's not playing nice with the Dragonfly. Thank you for the clarification on that.

17 hours ago, Shawn said:

I didn't realize there was also some SALLY's not playing nice with the Dragonfly. Thank you for the clarification on that.

It is only the older demo builds of EXO that don't appear to like the Rockwell CPUs. However, it is a 50/50 on which Sally will be in a 7800. Far as I know, the newer builds of the current WIP have not been tested as all of the testers appear to have NCR Sallys in their 7800s. Just happened that way it seems. But it is the only game/demo I'm aware of to have any issues on Dragon Fly. Curt mentioned more than once in these forums that the Rockwell CPUs had some flaw in them that Atari made sure to program around so it wouldn't come up. EXO obviously is doing something to trigger this flaw in those CPUs. 

I just wanted to state this because what was being said could easily be misinterpreted as being several games or issues involved with that particular CPU in the 7800 and the DF when in reality it is just one game in development that appears to have a problem. It is also possible that the actual game on actual cart won't have any issues, but until the game is finalized and put onto something other than a DF cart or emulation, this won't be known.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

...Curt mentioned more than once in these forums that the Rockwell CPUs had some flaw in them that Atari made sure to program around so it wouldn't come up...

Actually, it is both Rockwell and Synertek CPUs that were known to have issues from Curt's posts.

"When I joined Atari in 1981 one of my first assignments was to work on a true 16-bit

upgrade, software compatible version of the 6502, as one did not exist. The chip
manufactured by Synertek and Rockwell at the time was not acceptable as it would not
allow older Atari games to play with the new system
, i.e. it was not upward
compatible with the older 6502
..."

SOURCE: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/151182-synertec-6516-pseudo-16bit-cpu-for-a400800/?do=findComment&comment=1846699

"From: JIM 6-FEB-1984 09:35

To: SOVEY,CARL

Subj: SALLY problem(s)

I now am fairly sure that the "7% Synertek" Mathloop problem is indeed

a chip problem and is somehow a function of the CLC instruction occasionally

failing

Are there any additional software tests that either of you would like me
to do on either the Rockwell (Screen Memory) or Synertek (Mathloop)
problems/investigations?"

SOURCE: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/98872-atari-vaxs-being-moved/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Actually, it is both Rockwell and Synertek CPUs that were known to have issues from Curt's posts.

"When I joined Atari in 1981 one of my first assignments was to work on a true 16-bit

upgrade, software compatible version of the 6502, as one did not exist. The chip
manufactured by Synertek and Rockwell at the time was not acceptable as it would not
allow older Atari games to play with the new system
, i.e. it was not upward
compatible with the older 6502
..."

SOURCE: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/151182-synertec-6516-pseudo-16bit-cpu-for-a400800/?do=findComment&comment=1846699

"From: JIM 6-FEB-1984 09:35

To: SOVEY,CARL

Subj: SALLY problem(s)

I now am fairly sure that the "7% Synertek" Mathloop problem is indeed

a chip problem and is somehow a function of the CLC instruction occasionally

failing

Are there any additional software tests that either of you would like me
to do on either the Rockwell (Screen Memory) or Synertek (Mathloop)
problems/investigations?"

SOURCE: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/98872-atari-vaxs-being-moved/

I don't know that I've ever come across a Synertek 6502? Got a pic of it? Interesting that the Rockwell has screen memory issues since the issue with EXO testing on that CPU starts off with graphical glitching before finally locking up within a few min.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It is only the older demo builds of EXO that don't appear to like the Rockwell CPUs. However, it is a 50/50 on which Sally will be in a 7800. Far as I know, the newer builds of the current WIP have not been tested as all of the testers appear to have NCR Sallys in their 7800s. Just happened that way it seems. But it is the only game/demo I'm aware of to have any issues on Dragon Fly. Curt mentioned more than once in these forums that the Rockwell CPUs had some flaw in them that Atari made sure to program around so it wouldn't come up. EXO obviously is doing something to trigger this flaw in those CPUs. 

I just wanted to state this because what was being said could easily be misinterpreted as being several games or issues involved with that particular CPU in the 7800 and the DF when in reality it is just one game in development that appears to have a problem. It is also possible that the actual game on actual cart won't have any issues, but until the game is finalized and put onto something other than a DF cart or emulation, this won't be known.

I've seen video of that game but never played it. If it's a game specific problem I don't see that as a dragonfly issue but a specific program issue.

48 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I've seen video of that game but never played it. If it's a game specific problem I don't see that as a dragonfly issue but a specific program issue.

If it was a program specific issue then would I expect the issues described would be happening on more than the one or two example consoles that we've seen it happen on.

It seems to happen only on certain NTSC Rockwell CPUs and basically when they are hot and they are running with the Dragonfly. Even then I don't think were 100% sure and from the user who reported the issue, we've managed to replicate it once I think. It could be the issue noted by Trebor, It could be that, combining with Dragonfly in some consoles. I'm not a hardware expert.

In any case, if folks want to discuss EXO and Dragonfly then there are probably better places to do that than this thread. (don't mean to sound rude, and I'm happy to continue the discussion, but this thread aint the place).

I do not expect such issues to prevail with the production carts from conversations with Rafal (Dragonfly designer). EXO will be tested on many flavours of 7800 with the new homebrew boards Al will be using to ensure production carts are fine. 

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't know that I've ever come across a Synertek 6502? Got a pic of it? Interesting that the Rockwell has screen memory issues since the issue with EXO testing on that CPU starts off with graphical glitching before finally locking up within a few min.

Oh what joy. My 7800 has the Synertek Sally in it. Here's my one in all its irritating glory.

Are there any tests I can do on this before I get my hands on a Concerto?

20210824_215843.jpg

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ritchie said:

Oh what joy. My 7800 has the Synertek Sally in it. Here's my one in all its irritating glory.

Honestly I wouldn't get myself all worked up over this. Enjoy your 7800 and if you get a concerto enjoy that too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ritchie said:

20210824_215843.jpg

All of that masking tape is interesting.  Got a shot of the serial number label?

12 hours ago, Ritchie said:

20210824_215843.jpg

Whoever put that old Sally CPU in there also added a socket, so it will be a piece of cake to replace the CPU if it does turn out to cause trouble with the Concerto.  But no need to mess with it until you have a Concerto to test.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tep392 said:

Whoever put that old Sally CPU in there also added a socket, so it will be a piece of cake to replace the CPU if it does turn out to cause trouble with the Concerto.  But no need to mess with it until you have a Concerto to test.

Which might indicate it was replaced out once already LOL!

On 8/24/2021 at 7:13 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't know that I've ever come across a Synertek 6502?

My 2-port UAV-modded 5200 has a factory-original Syntertek SALLY in it, and my 1088XEL was built with a NOS Syntertek SALLY. Both my 7800’s have NCR chips, however. 

Heck, my parts 5200 came with an MOS SALLY, which I had never seen before. 

On 8/29/2021 at 10:32 AM, DrVenkman said:

My 2-port UAV-modded 5200 has a factory-original Syntertek SALLY in it, and my 1088XEL was built with a NOS Syntertek SALLY. Both my 7800’s have NCR chips, however. 

Heck, my parts 5200 came with an MOS SALLY, which I had never seen before. 

If you want to replace those NCR's shoot me a PM. I'll get that sorted for ya ;)