IGNORED

Concerto SD-card multicart ordering info

batari

11 hours ago, TonySwish said:

Got mine a few weeks ago and works great other than two things.

Is there a way to ensure the games are alphabetized?

And is it possible to just add Atari 2600 games and they will play? Wasn't sure if anything was required for them.

Thanks!

The Concerto plays both 7800 and 2600 titles, according to the OP.  I don't see where anything special is needed, other then the ROMs.  I'll find out today, because, much to my surprise, my Concerto is now arriving today instead of Monday!  :)

2 hours ago, Deteacher said:

The Concerto plays both 7800 and 2600 titles, according to the OP.  I don't see where anything special is needed, other then the ROMs.  I'll find out today, because, much to my surprise, my Concerto is now arriving today instead of Monday!  :)

Some 2600 games are still problematic because the firmware doesn’t yet support them: PITFALL II, for example, or modern DPC+ homebrews. But most vintage titles work great. 

• Like 1

Got my Concerto and installed my POKEY into it.  Loaded up an SD cart and all appears to be working well.  I have a VERY NOOB question...this is more for verification, so please go easy on me:

I'm assuming that if my POKEY was either not installed, or bad, I wouldn't hear music when I played Ballblazer or Commando, correct?  If I hear the music, then POKEY is working normally, right?

Just making sure before I put the label on my cart, because I don't plan on opening her up again after that.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

Got my Concerto and installed my POKEY into it.  Loaded up an SD cart and all appears to be working well.  I have a VERY NOOB question...this is more for verification, so please go easy on me:

I'm assuming that if my POKEY was either not installed, or bad, I wouldn't hear music when I played Ballblazer or Commando, correct?  If I hear the music, then POKEY is working normally, right?

Just making sure before I put the label on my cart, because I don't plan on opening her up again after that.  

Correct. That said, I put the label on mine but left out the screw. The case on mine snapped apart and back together VERY tightly, so the screw seemed pretty superfluous. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Correct. That said, I put the label on mine but left out the screw. The case on mine snapped apart and back together VERY tightly, so the screw seemed pretty superfluous. 

Agreed, no need for a screw IMO.

4 hours ago, mimo said:

Agreed, no need for a screw IMO.

Are the shells 3d printed?  Still waiting for mine to show up.  On the one hand it is amazing what 3d printers can do, on the other hand there are occasionally quality issues with individual prints (I am picky when I print things and will toss a chunk if it misaligns and such. 

Speaking of, I have a few things I need to work on and start printing...

Quick question:

Are there known games (besides Pitfall II) that currently won't load?  I know there are some consoles that seem to have some incompatibilities with Concerto and I don't know if games that don't load are due to such incompatibility, or if I have a finicky ROM, or what, but I have a few that don't seem to want to fire up (based on my preliminary testing):

2600:

Air-Sea Battle

Mappy (Demo)

Galagon (Demo)

I don't think I've come across any 7800 games that won't load, which is awesome, but I plan to spend some time putting my Concerto through her paces.  This really is a remarkable piece of engineering.  Kudos to you, Fred!  :)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

Quick question:

Are there known games (besides Pitfall II) that currently won't load?  I know there are some consoles that seem to have some incompatibilities with Concerto and I don't know if games that don't load are due to such incompatibility, or if I have a finicky ROM, or what, but I have a few that don't seem to want to fire up (based on my preliminary testing):

2600:

Air-Sea Battle

Mappy (Demo)

Galagon (Demo)

I don't think I've come across any 7800 games that won't load, which is awesome, but I plan to spend some time putting my Concerto through her paces.  This really is a remarkable piece of engineering.  Kudos to you, Fred!  :)

Probably better discussed in the Firmware thread, but Mappy and Galagon are some Champ Games' newest modern titles. They're almost certainly using a new memory mapping scheme and/or custom cartridge hardware that's not yet implemented in the Concerto firmware. Not sure about Air-Sea Battle, as I haven't actually tried that one on my own Concerto.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leech said:

Are the shells 3d printed?  Still waiting for mine to show up. 

Mine was an original Atari shell I believe. Not sure what they are shipped with now

23 hours ago, leech said:

Are the shells 3d printed?  Still waiting for mine to show up.  On the one hand it is amazing what 3d printers can do, on the other hand there are occasionally quality issues with individual prints (I am picky when I print things and will toss a chunk if it misaligns and such. 

Speaking of, I have a few things I need to work on and start printing...

The original run were repurposed 7800 shells. 

You have the option of a recycled shell or a new clear shell.

The new clear and clear colored shells are injection molded from a guy in WY I believe.  

3 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

The original run were repurposed 7800 shells. 

You have the option of a recycled shell or a new clear shell.

The new clear and clear colored shells are injection molded from a guy in WY I believe.  

I got it!  Very nice case.  Now I need to figure out which Atari 8bit I want to have my PokeyONE MAX, so I can steal the POKEY out of it...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leech said:

I got it!  Very nice case.  Now I need to figure out which Atari 8bit I want to have my PokeyONE MAX, so I can steal the POKEY out of it...

Sounds like a nice dilemma to have ?

Ha, well I ordered a PokeyMax quite some time ago with the intention of swapping out my dual POKEY in the 130xe.  But looking at how that is wired up, I decided to leave it be (for now) and stole the POKEY out of a 1200xl that is missing it's screws.  Also ordered a POKEY one.

Edit:  the question is, will the PokeyONE fit?  The Max would not, due to the cartridge case.

Edited by leech

On 5/24/2021 at 9:06 AM, garycimera1968 said:

Any new news on the HOKEY chip? Still ready to buy it now!! LOL

You mean this?

hokeynew.thumb.jpg.1329010c263e198a4a5a7310346ea986.jpg

This panel will be ready to assemble once the chips for it arrive (may take some time, thanks to the chip shortage!) But if all goes to plan (and parts suppliers are truthful with their lead times) these will be widely available this year.

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, batari said:

This panel will be ready to assemble once the chips for it arrive (may take some time, thanks to the chip shortage!) But if all goes to plan (and parts suppliers are truthful with their lead times) these will be widely available this year.

Put me down for like, oh, nine billion.  I am seriously looking forward to these being available.

Thank you for all of the work you've put into both the Concerto and HOKEY.  These are two of the most important hardware developments we've seen in the general arena of 8-bit Atari machines, and your efforts are greatly appreciated ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, batari said:

Very cool. Looking forward to adding a HOKEY to my Concerto. (Although James will be sending me the POKEY he... uh... broke. So I'll see if I can revive that.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Very cool. Looking forward to adding a HOKEY to my Concerto. (Although James will be sending me the POKEY he... uh... broke. So I'll see if I can revive that.)

I should get a HOKEY when they are available as well so I can put the pokey back into my 1200xl.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:14 AM, batari said:

You mean this?

Yes I do! Looking forward to stuffing one of these in my Concerto!

On 5/26/2021 at 1:14 AM, batari said:

You mean this?

Congrats Fred! That is awesome! :)