IGNORED

TI99E-A Development Environment to write TI99 programs on Windows

charlietunaz

I want to show all of you a project that I have been working on and off for a few years now that I feel is ready to be shared, but first, some context: 

For years I had always wondered how the TI BASIC and XB games would have worked differently if these had been compiled or simply implemented on a faster system. Around 2008 I found a game development package called DarkBASIC Professional that featured a BASIC IDE to create 2d and 3d EXE (compiled, as in fast) games on Windows systems. The BASIC syntax reminded in many ways to console and Extended BASIC but the lack of decent documentation at that time did not give me the confidence to write anything more than a few lines of simple code.  Years later, around 2013 I came back to the developer company's web site and found a larger user base, more code samples and even two large tomes of books that thoroughly documented the language.  I went ahead and purchased the books and as I learned the 2D graphic features, I started to get an idea of the project I wanted to accomplish.  And that's how TI99E originated. 

TI99E consists of a set of functions developed using the DBPro IDE to simulate the high-resolution graphics, color, string and numeric, input and output functions of the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A computer. DBPro is a free, open-source BASIC programming language suitable for creating Windows applications and games. TI99E programs are developed using the editor and compiler included with the DBPro software.

This development environment was created primarily to simulate, as faithfully as possible, writing graphic programs that look and feel like those originally written for the TI-99/4A in TI BASIC or Extended BASIC but without the speed or technical limitations.  It also includes additional features that were not available in the original TI BASIC but that enhance the experience of coding TI graphical programs.  TI99E is not an emulator; it also does not simulate TI-99 sound directly (it does through .wav files), or many other input-output functions, or file processing.  Programs created in TI99E become EXE files for Windows; the BASIC source code is not compatible with the original console, and it is not intended to create programs that run on the original console.

TI99E simulates and enhances the following features of the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A computer:

-          256 x 192 display size for high resolution graphics

-          24 rows x 32 columns screen size for regular ASCII character graphics

-          Exact replica of the entire ASCII character set from the TI-99/4A

-          Customizable ASCII characters

-          16 colors available for graphics, with multiple color sets

-          Sprite graphics with auto-motion capabilities

-          Implementation of sprite collision, magnification, motion, location, position, and distance

-          Implementation of the TI BASIC graphic subprograms (CHAR,HCHAR,VCHAR,SPRITE,COINC,PATTERN,POSITION,LOCATE,MOTION,etc)

-          No missing sprite collisions

-          Modified implementation of Input and Output instructions such as PRINT, INPUT, DISPLAY AT,     ACCEPT AT, CALL KEY and CALL JOYST 

-          Math functions using radians instead of degrees:  SIN, COS, TAN

-          String functions such as  SEG$RPT$

-          Numeric functions such as SGN, MIN, MAX

-          Plus, many new features that were not available in the original system:

o Up to 1,000 moving sprites at once - yes, and at a fluid 60FPS

o   Over 1,000 customizable characters and 120+ color sets

o   Ability to change color to individual characters instead of sets

o   Ability to create multi-color sprites

o   Ability to create multi-color characters

o   Ability to create animated sprites

o   Individual sprite magnification

o   Ability to hide sprites and keep them active

o   No 4-sprite max in horizontal line limitation

o   Fast, compiled programs

o   Full-featured Sprite Editor – Supports single and multicolor sprites, load, save, reverse, rotate, mirror, copy, paste and magnify using keyboard or joystick inputs.

o   Conversion programs to simplify converting original BASIC or XB code into TI99E

I call it the TI BASIC that I always wanted.

Below you will find the link to the TI99E system, including a Quick installation guide PDF, technical documentation PDF and all the necessary software:

-          The DBPro IDE

-          Direct X 9.0C runtime files – required for the EXE programs to run on newer versions of Windows

-          The TI99E BASIC project files

-          Sprite Editor – created with TI99E – includes EXE and source code

-          Conversion Programs – with instructions

-          Many Showcase programs ready to run and with their source code

I recommend using the built-in help files in the TI99E editor instead of the technical documentation PDF.  The help files are more complete, updated and organized, plus it is part of the IDE, which is a big plus.  The help system includes sample code to test every documented function which, in addition to the showcase programs, is extremely useful to quickly learn the ins and outs of TI99E. The help system is accessible with F1.  Just follow the Readme instructions for more details.

I really hope you enjoy using this system I created with a lot of care, as a tribute to my beloved TI-99 4/A.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XKvWir9pgkUMoSZJWuHTE6_qKzWi7y7R?usp=sharing

image.thumb.png.c0ee7a3d491007899c28824e76de198b.png

• Like 12