IGNORED

reading the morning news on my Coleco Adam

rietveld

1 hour ago, ed1475 said:

Awesome!  How were you able to do it?

I set up a telnet server on my Linux laptop and connected to my home's wifi.  Then I Telnet into my homes's IP using a wifi modem thats connected to an Orphanware serial card. So instead of Telneting into someone elses BBS i am Telneting into my linux box and using LYNX to connect to the internet.  This way I can surf the entire web instead of just a BBS.   Text only sites or ones using minimal graphics look the best.  Sites like lite.cnn.com or text.npr.org look great

Edited by rietveld

1 hour ago, rietveld said:

I set up a telnet server on my Linux laptop and connected to my home's wifi.  Then I Telnet into my homes's IP using a wifi modem thats connected to an Orphanware serial card. So instead of Telneting into someone elses BBS i am Telneting into my linux box and using LYNX to connect to the internet.  This way I can surf the entire web instead of just a BBS.   Text only sites or ones using minimal graphics look the best.  Sites like lite.cnn.com or text.npr.org look great

Very Cool! I have LYNX on my 1995 Packard Bell Windows 95 computer. I've used it to visit the old Gopher protocol sites that are proxies for Wikipedia, CNN and Reddit.  I didn't think it would be possible with an ADAM.

Edited by ed1475

22 minutes ago, ed1475 said:

Very Cool! I have LYNX on my 1995 Packard Bell Windows 95 computer. I've used it to visit the old Gopher protocol sites that are proxies for Wikipedia, CNN and Reddit.  I didn't think it would be possible with an ADAM.

As long as the Term software  can do VT52 or VT100.  Zmodem seems to at least emate a VT52 terminal 

Edited by rietveld
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, NIAD said:

Pretty cool to hear about and thanks for sharing. I've got the WiModem232 by Jim Drew and spent way to much time playing around with it last weekend on an ADAM with the new MIB238 Interface Card that was designed by Eric Pearson and produced by John Lundy.

If you have a linux machine hanging around you can do the same thing

You can use a Linux box (pi, laptop, ect)

Sudo app-get install telnetd

Sudo app-get install lynx for internet

Make sure your linux machine is connected to your wifi.

Connect your Adam by booting up your terminal software

AT       to connect to your wifi modem

ATDT xxx.xxx.x.xx   using your wifi's IP

This will connect you to the linux box. Just log in using your linux user name and password.

You need to set your TERM type. If you are using ZMODEM  it will be VT52.   

type TERM=vt52

now you can use LYNX to connect you to the web

type

lynx google.com

to navigate to the GOOGLE browser 

• Like 1