IGNORED

Apple II CRPG Nox Archaist has officially been released!

6502_workshop

2 hours ago, scitari said:

I would like to play Nox on original hardware (Apple IIe platinum) and have copied the disk images to 5.25 floppies using ProDOS. However, the disks won't boot. I get a "Unable to load ProDOS" message when booting from floppy. I get the same message when trying to boot from my Floppy Emu. I am relatively new to Apple II so maybe I missing something simple. Any ideas? Many thanks! 

Thanks for your support!

Before turning on the computer, try putting the Boot disk in drive1 and the overworld disk in drive2. The boot disk is the back side of disk1 if you transferred the images according to the disk and side numbers embedded in the file name.

• Like 1

I'm having trouble with the game on my GS - I've got a CFA3000 and have the HDV file loaded in the smartport slot.  I get the intro screen but the game either hangs or gives me a corrupt screen when I hit the space bar.

I've also tried booting with floppy images from the CFFA and that seemed to work, but when it asked for the "main" disk, I popped over to the CFFA utility and the system crashed.  I also noticed that the game wasn't properly aligned on the screen (I'll take a photo of this and post).

I'm unable to test on actual floppies since I only have a single 3.5 and single 5.25 drive for the GS.

Has this been fully tested on a modern, loaded GS system?  I've got all kinds of stuff in mine including a Transwarp (which I disabled), SCSI, Network, etc.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, tuf said:

I'm having trouble with the game on my GS - I've got a CFA3000 and have the HDV file loaded in the smartport slot.  I get the intro screen but the game either hangs or gives me a corrupt screen when I hit the space bar.

I've also tried booting with floppy images from the CFFA and that seemed to work, but when it asked for the "main" disk, I popped over to the CFFA utility and the system crashed.  I also noticed that the game wasn't properly aligned on the screen (I'll take a photo of this and post).

I'm unable to test on actual floppies since I only have a single 3.5 and single 5.25 drive for the GS.

Has this been fully tested on a modern, loaded GS system?  I've got all kinds of stuff in mine including a Transwarp (which I disabled), SCSI, Network, etc.

Thanks!

Thanks for your support and reaching out so we can help!

Nox Archaist has been tested on physical Apple IIgs, IIe, and IIc systems, using CFFA, BOOTi and Floppy Emu cards (Smartport mode). 

I do not have a GS loaded up with modern cards, like the transwarp, on my test bench. However, many people in our Discord community have systems like this and are able to play Nox Archaist, so I'm confident we can get you up and running. 

The symptoms you are describing match a known edge case with the Apple IIgs / CFFA configuration and we have a beta release which fixes the issue with the HDV boot. 

It will likely fix the problem you are seeing on the .PO floppy images as well, however, the Nox Archaist floppy version requires two disk drives, so the CFFA virtual floppy port is not a supported configuration. 

Please email support at 6502workshop.com and I'll send you the beta. 

Thanks again for reaching out.

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2020 at 9:21 AM, scitari said:

I would like to play Nox on original hardware (Apple IIe platinum) and have copied the disk images to 5.25 floppies using ProDOS. However, the disks won't boot. I get a "Unable to load ProDOS" message when booting from floppy. I get the same message when trying to boot from my Floppy Emu. I am relatively new to Apple II so maybe I missing something simple. Any ideas? Many thanks! 

Have you tried booting all the disk images?

I thought I read that Disk 2 (or disk 1, side two??) is the actual boot disk?

I still have to get around to writing it to actual floppies to try it.  Hopefully this weekend...

21 minutes ago, desiv said:

Have you tried booting all the disk images?

I thought I read that Disk 2 (or disk 1, side two??) is the actual boot disk?

I still have to get around to writing it to actual floppies to try it.  Hopefully this weekend...

Yes, I figured out that Disk 1 Side 2 is the boot disk. Go figure!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 6502_workshop said:

Thanks for your support and reaching out so we can help!

Nox Archaist has been tested on physical Apple IIgs, IIe, and IIc systems, using CFFA, BOOTi and Floppy Emu cards (Smartport mode). 

I do not have a GS loaded up with modern cards, like the transwarp, on my test bench. However, many people in our Discord community have systems like this and are able to play Nox Archaist, so I'm confident we can get you up and running. 

The symptoms you are describing match a known edge case with the Apple IIgs / CFFA configuration and we have a beta release which fixes the issue with the HDV boot. 

It will likely fix the problem you are seeing on the .PO floppy images as well, however, the Nox Archaist floppy version requires two disk drives, so the CFFA virtual floppy port is not a supported configuration. 

Please email support at 6502workshop.com and I'll send you the beta. 

Thanks again for reaching out.

Email sent.  I'll give the beta a test and see how it does.

I'm surprised the CFFA floppy slots wont work properly - I suppose if I set all the disks up to switch (you get 4 per button on the small remote) I wouldn't have to jump into the control panel to do any switching.  Wonder if that might prevent any crashing.

It's just a dumb thing; I really wanted to use floppies to play the game for the full retro experience, but beyond buying another floppy drive, the lights on the CFFA are the next best thing (too bad it doesn't make emulated drive sounds as well like the Ultimate 64).  I can live with the HDV tho :)

The game wont run off an actual hard drive partition in GS/OS by chance, will it?

Thanks!

Finally got around to writing my floppies!

I still had some unused floppy disks (3M DSDD), and I was able to use Nox for their first write... ;-)

(Only have 4 unused ones left now..  Nox II maybe?  ;-)  ...  Oooppss..  I lied.. I just saw another box of unused disks..  So I'm good thru Nox IV maybe?  ;-)  )

I have to read the instructions...

I knew about the "booting from side 2" so I was prepped for that.

Put D1S2 in my Duodisk drive 1, booted... and...  black screen.. Hmmm..

But I noticed the drive light for Duodisk drive 2 was on...  Put a disk in there, and it loaded.

I am thinking it probably wants a particular disk in there, and that is probably in the manual, which I haven't read yet.

Initial boot to the title screen looks and sounds INCREDIBLE!!!

Really has the Ultima feel, just like I just got a new Ultima game for my //e!!

btw, has anyone designed/made any disk labels for this?

I am NOT looking for ones that are identical to the originals...  I am not planning on pretending I bought one with disks...

Just wondering if anyone already has some labels they have made for this...

I will probably make some myself, but as I can't draw a straight line with line mode in MacPaint, they won't look good. ;-)

Anyway, thanx again.  Looks great.  Can't wait till I can get some time to get into this game!!!

desiv

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GameGeezer said:

Bought the CE package weeks ago. I would not mind buying a second, so that I keep one sealed, and have one open; but the site says one per customer. 

Thanks for your interest!

The "limit one per customer" was a left over from before the 1st production run sold out. I just increased the limit to 3 per customer so feel free to order another.

-Mark

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2020 at 12:51 PM, 6502_workshop said:

The 6502 Workshop team is thrilled to announce that 8-bit RPG Nox Archaist has been released!

This is a beautiful retro labor of love, thanks so much to the team for making it happen!

I built a Phasor board and installed it in my IIGS just for this :)

Apple_II.Phasor.board1.1.thumb.jpg.4b27a4dd14237e3779bf4dcbf292e167.jpg

Apple_II.Phasor.board2.1.thumb.jpg.0404c04c75e4d12349da10e561e875fe.jpg

1789398614_AppleIIGS.NoxArchaist.1.thumb.jpg.70588f554822fa5fba35dddf8ea75b7e.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...