IGNORED

5200 power supply question

Charlie_

I have a NOS power supply for my 5200 . I purchased it very recently from The Brewing Academy. It makes a hum when the room is quiet. I thought it was the CRT....

Anyway, I was thinking of ordering a nice new Triad switching supply to replace it. Problem is there is no info printed on the power supply. So, what is the voltage, polarity, and size of the tip?

I probably could have found this in a search, but I'm lazy about it ?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Charlie_ said:

I have a NOS power supply for my 5200 . I purchased it very recently from The Brewing Academy. It makes a hum when the room is quiet. I thought it was the CRT....

Anyway, I was thinking of ordering a nice new Triad switching supply to replace it. Problem is there is no info printed on the power supply. So, what is the voltage, polarity, and size of the tip?

I probably could have found this in a search, but I'm lazy about it ?

Thank you.

Here's the exact one I'm using.  2.1mm X 5.5mm on the barrel connector; centre positive.

Lots of 5200 PSUs hum as it is an active transformer inside the housing that is converting the voltage down. Some do this worse than others just something that happens to them over time. I've purchased I think 2 from the Brewing Academy now and have been using one on my workbench without any issues. 

59 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Lots of 5200 PSUs hum as it is an active transformer inside the housing that is converting the voltage down. Some do this worse than others just something that happens to them over time. I've purchased I think 2 from the Brewing Academy now and have been using one on my workbench without any issues. 

Thanks for the reply. Turns out the supply does make a hum but it's not loud. I was mistaking it for the 7800 power supply. Last night it started humming very loud. You could feel vibration when touching it. I contacted Best and I'm in the process of ordering a new one. 

I did find, lying around, a 9v 2A ITE power supply that runs the 5200 fine. What is ITE and is there a problem running the 5200 on 9V?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 1:34 PM, Charlie_ said:

What is ITE and is there a problem running the 5200 on 9V?

ITE: Information Technology Equipment, basically means that it's suitable for most electronics.

The 5200 should be fine on 9V, it has two 7805s that drop down the incoming voltage to 5V and 9V is well within their input range. Just make sure the polarity is tip positive and it should work.

On 12/27/2020 at 12:07 AM, ApolloBoy said:

ITE: Information Technology Equipment, basically means that it's suitable for most electronics.

The 5200 should be fine on 9V, it has two 7805s that drop down the incoming voltage to 5V and 9V is well within their input range. Just make sure the polarity is tip positive and it should work.

Thanks. I've been using a 9v 2a supply for a few weeks now. It's been working great.