IGNORED

New Lynx games coming 2021 from Songbird

Songbird

14 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

I'm assuming MicroVaders is a Galaga/Gorf clone? That would be a good one...

Yep...I'm keeping my eye on this one too.?

Over 20 years ago, a little puzzle game called Lexis was published for the Lynx by Songbird Productions. If you beat the game (or *cough* use the cheat code), you unlocked a small bonus game which is a nice homage to classic arcade shooters like Space Invaders or Galaxian. But there are no sounds, no music, and the game is really tough to play with dozens of enemies and shots swarming you all at once!

Songbird looks to rectify that situation with the upcoming release Microvaders. We’ve got a bunch of new features planned including:

• Title screen with music
  • In-game music and sound f/x
  • Animated enemies
  • New enemy wave definitions to gradually ramp the challenge
  • Power-ups including rapid fire, shields, and more!
  • Coming fall 2021
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man, the hits just keep on coming. I'm glad I never shelled out for a Centipede prototype just because of Shadowsoft fandom. I'll definitely be in for this next month!

I have been playing 8 Bit Slicks off and on. It's a fun game, but the idea of online multiplayer on the Lynx is what really makes it special. I'm waiting on my 8bit Unity Hub, which is on the slow boat from Japan...

Edited by jgkspsx
  • Like 1

Wow, looks like a lot of good stuff to look forward to in the new year!

Centipede looks like it has come along nicely. There's one thing that I've always thought about, ever since seeing the prototype. Although the game (even in prototype form) was named "Centipede", I wondered if the developers might have actually intended to create Millipede. Several aspects of the visual design including the mushroom shapes, shading for the player's bounded area of movement, and "NEXT BONUS" at the bottom of the screen, and even the presence of the 1200-point spider, all appear to have been adapted from Millipede rather than Centipede.

I've never heard of 8bit-Slicks until now. After doing some quick research, it appears that this game has existed on several computer platforms for a few years, as seen at the game's official Web site. It's amazing that this game will support online play. Could you share any details about how this will work on the Lynx? (Looks like it has something to do with this.) Also, does this game have cross-platform play with the other versions?

• Like 1

Yes, there are some aspects (particularly visuals, as you note) in this Centipede version which are similar to Millipede, so it's kind of a hybrid between the two.

Correct, the 8bit-Hub will be required for online play. Not sure about cross-platform; something we'll have to look at once the Lynx portion is stable. :) Also we are making a number of enhancements to the cart version of 8-bit Slicks, including in-game music, more tracks, better graphics, and more sound f/x.

• Like 2

It may be possible to order from a dealer or from someone doing a group purchase in Europe. For example, Telegames UK has carried small quantities of Songbird games in the last few years. A couple of European Lynx fans have also organized group purchases in the past few months.

Also I have improved my system for international orders; international shipping now starts at just $20 for a single Lynx game, and still maxes out at $40 for multiple games. But I do acknowledge that the shipping costs can be steep, and am happy to work with dealers / bulk purchases in Europe to help mitigate this.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2020 at 6:06 PM, Songbird said:

It may be possible to order from a dealer or from someone doing a group purchase in Europe. For example, Telegames UK has carried small quantities of Songbird games in the last few years. A couple of European Lynx fans have also organized group purchases in the past few months.

Also I have improved my system for international orders; international shipping now starts at just $20 for a single Lynx game, and still maxes out at $40 for multiple games. But I do acknowledge that the shipping costs can be steep, and am happy to work with dealers / bulk purchases in Europe to help mitigate this.

I would buy Unnamed,so lmk,when possible

greetings Walter

• Like 1