IGNORED

Atari 2600 Mascot?

retroeight

This is one of the reasons I always liked the Bit Corp games. Although they were all non-US games, each had a character in the game that was also usually the title.

Bobby is Going Home

Mr Postman

I think even Snail vs Squirrel and A Misterous Thief also could qualify.

I also am compelled to mention Lilly Adventure and Open Sesame (aka Teddy Apple aka I Want My Mommy). Although it's not clear if these were Bit Corp, they seem to have the same feel.

... Ok ok these games don't hold a candle to mario or sonic type gameplay, but still... They seemed more like early mascot games then most others I can think of from the time.

Im still convinced there was never really a Mascot for the 2600. Basically because the whole video game Mascot was never a thing till the NES, SMS and 7800 era. By the time of the 7800 Atari was becoming and i will say this loosely obsolete. There was really nothing on the 7800 that was Atari branded you could call Mascot worthy and is probably part of the reason it had no real chance in terms of sales against the NES.

A child in 1987 asked do you want the system with Mario or the one with Asteroids, we all know what 90% would respond with. Atari really could have done with a Mascot at that time as it would have helped with sales. Anyway that's my take on the subject

• Like 2

To me, and Atari mascot needs to meet certain criteria:

1. a character owned by Atari (sorry Pitfall Harry)

2. have a name and personality (sorry centipede, Adventure Square)

There's not much that fits the bill.   Bentley Bear seems the best candidate.  Yar is marginal, but could be fleshed out into a mascot.

• Like 4

Now now, we all know it's the prince of purrrsonality  

IT's 664721722_ScreenShot2021-01-06at11_50_19PM.png.ca0a6fb22c42fa3e86c86ce4f7f3837a.png !!!   1755837566_ScreenShot2021-01-06at11_50_33PM.png.584edff01ab4afffd4fbf70231f135a1.png

But seriously...  :P

On 12/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, MrMaddog said:

The mascot for all Golden Age video games:

pac_man_taiwan_v2_cart_2.jpg3

'Nuff Said...

This was my first thought.  Pac-Man.   Never crazy about the game, though I really liked 2600 Pac-Man.   But the character was fun.  All the merchandise and the cartoon series.

On 12/14/2020 at 6:43 PM, bluejay said:

The Adventure square, hands down. It's the most iconic 2600 game.

Adventure was amazing.  If not the block then the duck dragon would be the mascot.  :D