IGNORED

130xe disabling basic

Back2skooldaze

Hi I have rigged up a 1010 recorder to my 130xe and although I can hold down the start button when switching on I hear the beep sound to press play on the tape deck the games load ok right to the end then a black screen with no game picture or sound. So when holding down start+option to disable basic I don't get the beep sound and the usual startup with the purring sound then to ready.

Why am I not getting the beep sound to press play on tape deck with start+option held down ? I only get the tapes loading with start held down on startup ??? 

Obviously my tape games are not playing due to needing basic disabled.

The keyboard is fully working on my 130xe. I can boot floppies and the now recent sd drive max?

The function keys are one of the earlier things to fail on an XE keyboard, or at least may be affected independently of the rest of the keys due to being handled by the GTIA, not the POKEY.

Just to be sure there isn't something up with multiple function keys pressed simultaneously, run this program in BASIC:

10 ? PEEK(53279):GOTO 10

RUN

No fkeys pressed = 7

All 3 fkeys pressed = 0

Start+Option = 2

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Back2skooldaze said:

Hi I have rigged up a 1010 recorder to my 130xe and although I can hold down the start button when switching on I hear the beep sound to press play on the tape deck the games load ok right to the end then a black screen with no game picture or sound. So when holding down start+option to disable basic I don't get the beep sound and the usual startup with the purring sound then to ready.

Why am I not getting the beep sound to press play on tape deck with start+option held down ? I only get the tapes loading with start held down on startup ??? 

Obviously my tape games are not playing due to needing basic disabled.

The keyboard is fully working on my 130xe. I can boot floppies and the now recent sd drive max?

I'm pretty sure it was option + start on XL,  I don't see why they'd change it on XE.

Another possibility is the games are corrupted, or not XE compatible.

• Like 1

Hi I've just checked on my 600xl and start +option i get the burr sound but on the 130xe I don't. The option key is working fine in the 130xe? 

I've tried loading the game with start held down only on the 130xe and its loading but at the end I get a black screen but when loading in the 600xl with start held down only I get the same but if I hold start+option on the 600xl the game loads and plays. So my problem is the start +option together on the 130xe is not burring so i can't load a tape apart from holding down start on its own the tape loads but no game??? 

When using the sd drive max tape emulator I only have to use the start button.

I've checked my keys there all working so I'm wondering if someone has either modded the 130 xe to boot without having to hold option down ?? Which was apparent in the old days or there's no basic chip on the board??? I'll have to open up the 130xe and take a peek. I do have a basic cartridge so if there's no chip inside I can try with the basic cartridge.... if that does anything at all but the aim is to disable basic???

This is interesting, I have an 800XL that I just installed an upgrade in.  It always boots into basic, so I thought the option key was broken.

However, I ran across this thread and so I typed in the program and wow, the option key does work.  What doesn't work - is disabling basic.  Despite the option key being held down, I always go into a basic screen when starting up the computer.

Further, if I put an actual cartridge in the machine, such as Assembler/Editor cartridge, then exit from tehre into DOS,  then Antonia setup tells me to remove the cartridge.  If it just boots into basic, and I then load DOS and go into the Antonia setup (ant.exe) it then doesn't complain about any cartridge, so it recognizes some kind of difference.

Nevertheless the machine always boots into basic first, I have to type DOS from the basic command prompt, and upon loading ant.exe, it will never flash the rom.  Since Antonia also has a basic rom on it, this may be unrelated to the Atari otherwise.

oh well, not to hijack the thread....I was just toying around with the 800xl, trying to see if I can get an atari going while the others are sent off for repairs.....seems I am not so lucky, well, I could've let well enough alone and not installed the antonia, it was working before hand, haha....I am not so wise...

So....

In 600XL/800XL/65XE/130XE/800XE:

START+OPTION - boot casette without BASIC

START - boot casette with COMPILED BASIC programs

CLOAD after READY on screen - load SAVEd BASIC programs

ENTER"C:" load BASIC LISTING saved on casette

And yes, "beep" can be  with all of them.

BTW: this is not mod. Some 130 xe's go with this wire from manufacture. On bottom side of mainboard are (if I remember) broken or lost track.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the info ? 

I've checked my keyboard reseated the ribbon and my option is working with start now so I'm able to load tapes with basic disabled. Strange cos my option was working with self test and 1050 drive but using start and option for tapes it was not bleeping so now I've reseated the ribbon its now bleeping?? Strange!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I have just tried on my 130XE (with no tape player as its still broken) and in both scenarios (START and START/OPTION) I don't get any beep. It goes to boot screen (white square on blue screen though). I get a beep with CLOAD command. My keyboard is working ok (self test) and in general. 

Is it wrong? I cannot still test it with a tape player; need to fix it first. 

I must not be understanding, if you hold option with no other keys while turning on, it should give you the self test....

in the self test you should be able to go to keyboard test and test the console keys option select and start, the three keys should also work when pressed together...

start held while turning on with not other keys should get you a buzzer sound, you then press Return key when tape is in position and play is pressed on the player. should start loading

start and option held down and turn on machine, buzzer brrrp sound, tape in position with play pressed smack a return key and you should be loading at that point as well

4 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I must not be understanding, if you hold option with no other keys while turning on, it should give you the self test....

in the self test you should be able to go to keyboard test and test the console keys option select and start, the three keys should also work when pressed together...

start held while turning on with not other keys should get you a buzzer sound, you then press Return key when tape is in position and play is pressed on the player. should start loading

start and option held down and turn on machine, buzzer brrrp sound, tape in position with play pressed smack a return key and you should be loading at that point as well

- only OPTION while turning on -> Self Test and all keys are working in tests (including Start/Option/Select)

- only START while turning on -> it goes to boot screen (blue screen with white square) but there is no buzzer sound

- only START and OPTION while turning on -> it goes to boot screen (blue screen with white square) but there is no buzzer sound

I know I should get a buzzer sound in those 2 options, but I don't:( I cannot test if the game will load anyway as my tape player is dead (under reparation) 

Edited by mikesk8

1 hour ago, mikesk8 said:

only START while turning on -> it goes to boot screen (blue screen with white square) but there is no buzzer sound

- only START and OPTION while turning on -> it goes to boot screen (blue screen with white square) but there is no buzzer sound

Assuming stock ROMs, and stock memory management, that is a sign of system malfunction, and guaranteed.

And this is where things begin to complicare: I see no sockets on that 130XE, anywhere... and that MoBo is butterfly-delicate... 

If NO mods there, and keyboard ok, then it could be bad C061618, C025953 or CO61991 (Freddie, if present)... Or even a bad PIA.

This would require deeper troubleshooting.

Edited by Faicuai

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Assuming stock ROMs, and stock memory management, that is a sign of system malfunction, and guaranteed.

And this is where things begin to complicare: I see no sockets on that 130XE, anywhere... and that MoBo is butterfly-delicate... 

If NO mods there, and keyboard ok, then it could be bad C061618, C025953 or CO61991 (Freddie, if present)... Or even a bad PIA.

This would require deeper troubleshooting.

All is working OK in this computer, including SIO2SD. Hmmmm, once my tape player is working I will check if the game actually loads without the buzzer sound ;)

5 hours ago, mikesk8 said:

- only START while turning on -> it goes to boot screen (blue screen with white square) but there is no buzzer sound

What do you mean 'boot screen'? Do you get a READY prompt screen with only START on powerup?

4 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

What do you mean 'boot screen'? Do you get a READY prompt screen with only START on powerup?

on both (START and START/OPTION) I get the same result = blue screen with white square (no READY); it looks to me as normal cassette boot screen (at least as I remember it)

Edited by mikesk8