IGNORED

Cinepak CD for sale !

TXG/MNX

9 minutes ago, TXG/MNX said:

I just did see someone is selling one of my cinepak releases on ebay for 50usd!!!!

The cd was made free for everyone please dont buy it.

Someone will. And they'll keep selling it, because someone else will.  Welcome to the club.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Might be worth adding a "If you bought this you have been ripped off, the disc is free here:" kind of thing to the start.  Just noticed it's split into a bunch of parts and Nero.. if there are ways this could be made simpler for people to burn then may help too.

Some people I imagine will want the box and label and simply won't be interested in burning themselves.  Unless you are going to produce them on demand it's always going to happen.

Might be worth adding a "If you bought this you have been ripped off, the disc is free here:" kind of thing to the start.  Just noticed it's split into a bunch of parts and Nero.. if there are ways this could be made simpler for people to burn then may help too.

Some people I imagine will want the box and label and simply won't be interested in burning themselves.  Unless you are going to produce them on demand it's always going to happen.
Will share a full iso link today

Verstuurd vanaf mijn POCO F1 met Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is mildly off topic and if it’s not appreciated just let me know but when scrolling thru eBay after seeing this scam, I saw this. 

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/154236984378

I have never heard of this game but it doesn’t look like it’s a licensed copy. 

The seller also sells a Klax, Tube (which he says is Tube SE), Demolition man, Jagtris, Astrostorm for the jag cd and lots of lingerie. 

20 minutes ago, WilcoL said:

The seller also sells a Klax, Tube (which he says is Tube SE), Demolition man, Jagtris, Astrostorm for the jag cd and lots of lingerie. 

That'll be the free version of Astrostorm I originally released which was absolutely not for anyone to resell, it even says so when you boot it up. That version is extremely cut down and missing many features compared to the retail version in the AA store.

This is why we can't have nice things, random person insists they are just creating a copy for their own personal use, then they give it away to someone else or sell it on, damaging the homebrew community in the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zerosquare said:

You should report him. If TXG/MNX does has well, that's already two strikes out of three.

I'll add my report.  And if other unauthorized reproductions are found, add the link here and I'll add my report on those too.

• Like 1

This guy is shady. He's been selling these as long as I've been looking for Jaguar CD's on eBay, and everything he sells is always from his personal collection (Note the "one owner" bit). Maybe dude has 10 copies of these cinepak discs in his "personal collection," or more optimistically, no one has bought them yet, but I too can buy some DVD cases, print the label (I found the artwork trivially with Google when I burned this), and create single-owner copies from my "personal collection." Also, minor spoiler alert:

Spoiler

The title implies more than a little that the disc actually contains the game Doom 3, not a trailer from it, which indeed is part of the fun of the movie if it's free, but not so much for $50. Yes, anyone at all in the know realizes it won't actually have a working build of Doom 3 on it, but then, anyone in the know wouldn't be buying this.

Maybe I'm just bitter though because I tried to buy my first Jaguar CD unit from this same guy, but he wasn't willing to let it go for <$900 IIRC. At the time, that was the most reasonably priced one on eBay. Luckily sanity prevailed and I waited out the drought. Also, he apparently lives about 15 minutes from my home town, and brings shame to the Sonoma Valley.

That said, what is the proper way to report this? When I click on "Report" on eBay, I selected "Copyright and trademark" from their options, then I get a ton of options under "Reason for report", there are a lot of options. I don't know if it's Bootleg, Counterfeit, or "eBay item infringes on intellectual property rights", or something else, and the first one comes with a whole giant list of further sub-reasons that all sound kind of the same as well.

As an aside, @TXG/MNX, cool, didn't realize you made these, and didn't realized @LinkoVitch was hosting them. I had to find them in some shady torrent (I may or may not have downloaded a torrent of all Jaguar CD releases and some (Free, don't worry) homebrews. Sue me, I'm not paying for Highlander. I am still looking forward to paying for a legit copy of Battlemorph). Before all my Jaguar time got consumed by Skunkboards, I was working on a re-encode of these with corrected audio. I have it mostly done and will probably get back to it at some point. I'm also working on a compilation of public domain cartoons in the spirit of the Big Buck Bunny disc, also mostly done. I'll post images somewhere if I ever finish them off.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cubanismo said:

That said, what is the proper way to report this? When I click on "Report" on eBay, I selected "Copyright and trademark" from their options, then I get a ton of options under "Reason for report", there are a lot of options. I don't know if it's Bootleg, Counterfeit, or "eBay item infringes on intellectual property rights", or something else, and the first one comes with a whole giant list of further sub-reasons that all sound kind of the same as well.

I maybe wrong but I think the only original source of the Veruna's Forces and Demolition man CD's was B&C computervision, I am sure that is where I purchased my copies from many years ago.

If somebody is copying their discs without permission I would think that would at least qualify as Counterfeit.

Intellectual property is trickier as I don't know if they purchased the rights to the code or if it was released into the public domain and they just happened to be the ones to obtain it. Perhaps let them know about it and see if they want to submit a complaint.