IGNORED

Concerto firmware thread

batari

38 minutes ago, Oldschool80skid said:

Bentleys Bear's Crystal Castle Roms - No Sound

Commando - works fine 

Do I need to update my firmware?

Thanks,!!

With the results from the 2 homebrews and knowing you don't have a POKEY installed I'm sure Commando is working but you are not getting the full range of sound as it also uses POKEY. 

24 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

Read the answers to your question, please.

I'll buy your system, if you think it's broken, after you read the answers.

Thank you so much. Which post number is the answer that you are referring too that tells me whetre to find the roms with sound?

My system works fine apparently so you can purchase elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, Oldschool80skid said:

Thank you so much. Which post number is the answer that you are referring too that tells me whetre to find the roms with sound?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-POKEY-Chip/293958152418?hash=item44714570e2:g:0-MAAOSwN35f3hhZ

I realise that's only one ROM with sound, not ROMs (plural), but it'll solve every problem you're having.  Well, perhaps not the reading comprehension ones, but if you can successfully buy that or one very much like it and cram it into a Concerto, you should at least receive an iota of enlightenment.

:roll:

• Haha 1

Hi everyone,

Apologies to all that I haven't been around much the past couple of weeks to contribute.  Anyway, attached is the Millie & Molly 7800 demo and Arkanoid demo specifically containing the Concerto pokey initialisation fix that Darryl has made for Popeye. Any feedback in regards to the pokey playing would be appreciated.

millieandmolly_demo_concerto.a78

arkanoid_concerto.a78

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hi everyone,

Apologies to all that I haven't been around much the past couple of weeks to contribute.  Anyway, attached is the Millie & Molly 7800 demo and Arkanoid demo specifically containing the Concerto pokey initialisation fix that Darryl has made for Popeye. Any feedback in regards to the pokey playing would be appreciated.

millieandmolly_demo_concerto.a78 128.13 kB · 5 downloads

arkanoid_concerto.a78 128.13 kB · 5 downloads

Both crash after their respective introductions after a new game is started.  There is no sound the entire time.  I experience the same results with the original/normal/standard files as well.

For the record, the Popeye Concerto sound fix hack works with my setup.  Once a future firmware rectifies the POKEY initialization issue, it most certainly will be well appreciated, and these workaround (attempts) will no longer be needed. 

22 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Thanks guys - surprised there is no sound at all. Interesting...

I’m pretty sure it’s that the POKEY @ 0450 but in the header isn’t recognized yet. Turning the bit off should fix it for now. 

I want to say the byte in the header for 128k+RAM (without pokey) is $46 but I will check later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, batari said:

I’m pretty sure it’s that the POKEY @ 0450 but in the header isn’t recognized yet. Turning the bit off should fix it for now. 

I want to say the byte in the header for 128k+RAM (without pokey) is $46 but I will check later.

Attached are the 'fixed-fix' ROMs:

Millie And Molly (Demo) (Concerto Fix) (20210129).a78Arkanoid (Concerto Fix) (20210129).a78

Both work now with Concerto under my setup.  In each game though, there is some odd corruption/flickering with the first character in either alpha or/and numeric data in the start of a line for both games.

Arkanoid is missing the "AtariAge" jingle*; however, all other POKEY sounds seem fine.

No issues noticed, besides the aforementioned character data issue, for Millie And Molly.

*EDIT:  Turned off/on the console loaded Arkanoid up again, and this time it played one piece/voice of the POKEY jingle for the AtariAge logo screen with the rest of the voices/instruments missing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, batari said:

29 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Attached are the 'fix-fixed' ROMs:

Millie And Molly (Demo) (Concerto Fix) (20210129).a78 128.13 kB · 2 downloads Arkanoid (Concerto Fix) (20210129).a78 128.13 kB · 2 downloads

Both work now with Concerto under my setup.  In each game though, there is some odd corruption/flickering with the first character in either alpha or/and numeric data in the start of a line for both games.

Arkanoid is missing the "AtariAge" jingle*; however, all other POKEY sounds seem fine.

No issues noticed, besides the aforementioned character data issue, for Millie And Molly.

*EDIT:  Turned off/on the console loaded Arkanoid up again, and this time it played one piece/voice of the POKEY jingle for the AtariAge logo screen with the rest of the voices/instruments missing.

Thanks guys ?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Attached are the 'fix-fixed' ROMs:

Millie And Molly (Demo) (Concerto Fix) (20210129).a78 128.13 kB · 2 downloads Arkanoid (Concerto Fix) (20210129).a78 128.13 kB · 2 downloads

Tried both of these tonight on my daily-driver. Both have POKEY sound but I see the same character/text corruption Trebor notes. In Millie and Mollie, when you go to the Instructions screen, the corruption isn't limited to the first character - it can be any character along any given line.

Further, Arkanoid flat-out doesn't recognize my paddles at all (the "Chunky Pixel Demo" in the ProPack collection works great with my paddles).

• Like 2