IGNORED

Concerto firmware thread

batari

47 minutes ago, Yurkie said:

That one crashes too.

Unfortunately, there are no other ROM fixes.  If the Concerto being leveraged is running the latest firmware, there evidently exists some other compatibility issue between the Concerto and the console being utilized, which hopefully will be sorted in a future firmware release.

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Unfortunately, there are no other ROM fixes.  If the Concerto being leveraged is running the latest firmware, there evidently exists some other compatibility issue between the Concerto and the console being utilized, which hopefully will be sorted in a future firmware release.

Regradless the Concerto is still Awesome.

I have a old Concerto one of the pre release ones. I am wondering if there is a new firmware patch for this type of  concerto and rom set that mostly will work? Also directions on how to upgrade as it has been I think 5 years since I worked with this cart. Sorry for the questions but most everything is new Concerto related I think.. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jinks

I whipped out my 7800 (a.k.a. Lil' Sexy) for the first time in weeks, and uploaded a newly updated version of my 7800 lineup onto my Concerto, only to end up with black screens, white screens messed-up screens and even crashing altogether of my system. I currently run firmware 0.95 and had never had any problems until tonight (it is 11:05 pm as I am posting this), any fixes or firmware updates of any kind I should be made aware of??? Also, my Concerto has a micro-USB port on her, can I use that to upload the new firmware, and also, I found there were also 4K conversions of 2600 titles (I have already downloaded them and extracted them), so I am also looking into uploading them onto my 2600 SD card and also the latest Harmony Encore firmware in her too, knowing Concerto can run BOTH 2600 AND 7800 titles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys - Please help me - SCREAMING NOOB Alert !  I got the Concerto and Yep, got it working and...  It is a TOTAL thing of Beauty !  However...  I need help, I bought myself a POKEY MAX Chip form RETRO LEMON but cant figure out which way to stick the Chip into the Concerto and...  I managed to break one of the Pins in the Chip !!!  OMG - Like I say such a noob, Please help !!!  Thank You in advance !

Pokey max won't fit inside the concerto cart case, so you would have to use it naked .

You need to look for a marking for pin 1 on the cart and pin 1 on the pokey max.

I've never seen a pokey max in the flesh so not sure where pin 1 is, but it should be marked 

My pokey is still on its way..

but all the pictures I find show the label of the chip readable parallel to the connector..

so my pokey has to be installed on the socket so that the label on the chip is upside down, right?

Pokey.JPG

Concerto.jpg

Edited by hermi69

25 minutes ago, hermi69 said:

so my pokey has to be installed on the socket so that the label on the chip is upside down, right?

The dot (or notch, if the chip has one) is always on the side with pin 1. The printing on the chip case can be in whatever direction the factory made them. I have some one way, some the other. But the dot or notch is always on the side with pin 1 no matter how the part number is written. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

The dot (or notch, if the chip has one) is always on the side with pin 1. The printing on the chip case can be in whatever direction the factory made them. I have some one way, some the other. But the dot or notch is always on the side with pin 1 no matter how the part number is written. 

I already thought so, but I'd better ask again than damage something. thanks. :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, SINGLE TOOTH said:

I did a very stupid thing and put the label on before installing my pokey. Now I had to cut a hole in my label ....

Does anyone know if donkey Kong arcade for 2600 works on this cart? It didn't for me.

I didn't use the screw on my cart,it holds together fine without it.

Not sure about DK arcade, I've not managed to get many 2600 games working on my cart 

2 hours ago, SINGLE TOOTH said:

I did a very stupid thing and put the label on before installing my pokey. Now I had to cut a hole in my label ....

I did the same thing with mine. I am the king of afterthought. :roll: But I don't mind too much; I have it more for function than form.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I lost the sticker entirely :(

So Rampage wouldn’t run on the Concerto. I would select a character, get to the news report, and instead of the game starting it would go back to the character select and then freeze. Is that normal?

32 minutes ago, Trebor said:

This ROM...

Rampage (NTSC) (Activision) (1989).a78 128.13 kB · 2 downloads

...works for me with the latest firmware publicly available.

RAMPAGE is one of the handful of games that has never run right on my Concerto on either of my 7800’s (other notable ones include ALIEN BRIGADE, WATER SKI and TANK COMMAND). I keep hoping Fred will be able to iron out those compatibility issues eventually.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Thanks! Can you get all the way to gameplay?

I can, it plays fine for me.  However, evidently for yourself and others there still is a compatibility issue. 

23 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I keep hoping Fred will be able to iron out those compatibility issues eventually.

:thumbsup:

Hopefully, the next firmware will have that fixed for those experiencing a problem with that game (and/or other titles).

• Like 2

Hello,

Just wanted to make sure that 0.95 is the latest bios file, also I only found 0.94 version for the cbi file.

Is there a version 0.95 for the cbi file?

Also, after using the Harmony programming tool to load the eeprom and then do the copy HBios onto SD card.

I add the .cbi file to root directory of the SD card.  Insert SD card into Concerto Cart, insert it in 7800 and turn on.

In the menu do I 'update the bios' using the .cbi file?

thanks,

T

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm interested in buying a Concerto cartridge to play 2600 games including all the new homebrews. I currently don't own an Atari 7800 yet, but maybe down the road.

My question is can I use the Concerto cartridge on my Atari 2600 console and will all the games be compatible?

Since for now I will just be using it on my Atari 2600 I read in a previous message you can use the Harmony Encore firmware on the Concerto cartridge to get the full 2600 compatibility.

Can I just use that firmware and then down the road when i buy my 7800 I can use the proper Concerto firmware to use on that console?

Also is there anything different if you compare the Harmony Encore vs the Concerto as far as using it for the Atari 2600?

I just want to future proof my purchase and get the best option.

Also is the 2600 and 7800 cartridge shells the same. Will the Concerto cartridge fit in the Atari 2600?

Thanks!!

Saj

Edited by sajtron

Adding to the above: you can use a Harmony in a 7800, but it will only play 2600 games.  The Concerto will let you run both 7800 and 2600 games, however.

Also, I'd recommend spending the extra few bucks and getting the Harmony Encore.  It has features that certain games (particularly homebrews) take advantage of that the original Harmony doesn't.