IGNORED

Mega STe 220V in US?

What is it you are trying to do?

Use a 220V Mega STe in the U.S.?   The link is for a 220V PSU right?   You would still need a step-up transformer, and then as PLM says, you'd have to hack the fan and power connectors yourself. 

Exxos sells a 110V unit that works, and avoids the need for the step up unit.   I use one of those on my PC1.  I would image Best Electronics probably sells an OEM 110V PSU for the Mega STe.

2 hours ago, pixelmischief said:

@ParanoidLittleMan How many watts will I need this thing to be?  The system has a floppy drive, ET4000, and UltraSatan inside.  I'll also run an optical mouse and NetUSBee externally.

The Mste will only draw as many as needed. With a physical mechanical hard drive it will need more. Minimum of 50 watts. The stfm psu is 30 watts and it will power a hard drive. If your pluging in a alt psu more is better. Look up meanwell psu's

https://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/RD-50A.shtml?gclid=CjwKCAiA_eb-BRB2EiwAGBnXXlQFzE7a6fmy3Fk93CSseqBcIAVz-k2YUgUcCtplD

they do make them with -12v   

I have one in my Mega st with lots of goodies attached with no problems 

I have received the power supply and am immediately frustrated.  This frustration repeats itself over and over when I try to work with this kind of thing, and I'm hoping that someone here can put me out of my misery.  Let's go through it.

Here is the data sheet for the power supply: https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/RPT-60/RPT-60-SPEC.PDF

I have the RPT-60B.  Page 2 shows that the power supply provides 3 voltages; 5V, 12V, and -12V on channels C1, C2, and C3, respectively.  And then, INFURIATINGLY, channel designations CX are NEVER F$%KING USED AGAIN.  The diagram on page 4 has designations for V1, V2, and V3.  The number of those designations encourages me to believe they can be mated to the three CX designations, but I can't be sure.  And since we are talking about ELECTRICITY and the potential to DESTROY equipment that is just this side of UNREPLACEABLE, I am reluctant to do so.  The physical device has a 6-pin connector for output and page 5 ties the VX designations to those pins, but abandonment of the CX designations after page 2 makes it unclear to me if I can rely on the IMPLIED but UNCERTAIN correlation between those pins and the voltages.

Rant over.  Frustration in full effect.

Edited by pixelmischief

14 hours ago, pixelmischief said:

I have received the power supply and am immediately frustrated.  This frustration repeats itself over and over when I try to work with this kind of thing, and I'm hoping that someone here can put me out of my misery.  Let's go through it.

Here is the data sheet for the power supply: https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/RPT-60/RPT-60-SPEC.PDF

I have the RPT-60B.  Page 2 shows that the power supply provides 3 voltages; 5V, 12V, and -12V on channels C1, C2, and C3, respectively.  And then, INFURIATINGLY, channel designations CX are NEVER F$%KING USED AGAIN.  The diagram on page 4 has designations for V1, V2, and V3.  The number of those designations encourages me to believe they can be mated to the three CX designations, but I can't be sure.  And since we are talking about ELECTRICITY and the potential to DESTROY equipment that is just this side of UNREPLACEABLE, I am reluctant to do so.  The physical device has a 6-pin connector for output and page 5 ties the VX designations to those pins, but abandonment of the CX designations after page 2 makes it unclear to me if I can rely on the IMPLIED but UNCERTAIN correlation between those pins and the voltages.

Rant over.  Frustration in full effect.

It is recommended in any case, even with clear doc, that make test run of PSU for about 1 hour, and check voltages with digital instrument - for stability. And then can determine exact wires of those voltages too, of course.

I used this same exact PSU when converting my U.K. 1040STE to a U.S. model. With the exception of changing from the nomenclature from CH1, 2 & 3 to V1, 2 & 3 between pages 2 and 5, the documentation couldn't be easier to understand. The incoming and outgoing pinouts are on page five of the pdf documentation. Just double-check those with a meter to make certain they're giving you the voltage outputs you're expecting and you should be good, at least with the PSU.

I'm not sure that PSU will provide the juice you may need for a Mega STE with an internal HD, etc., but it powers my 1040STE with minimal internal, unpowered upgrades quite easily.

It doesn't look like @Umberto told you, but you really should have ordered 3 of these as well:

PSU connector

These would have made things quite a bit easier to wire it in.

Good luck!

12 minutes ago, pixelmischief said:

@bfollowell Yo!  Thanks!  One more thing and I should be good to go.  Do you think this switch will do the job?  https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/SW3821D%2fUC/360-2930-ND/1047406?itemSeq=348947812

Looking at the specs, I'm sure it will be overkill. It will definitely do the job I think.

What sort of switch comes with a Mega/Mega STE? Is there any need for a DP switch? Would a SPST work, or is the extra circuit control actually needed in a Mega? I have absolutely no experience whatsoever with Mega/Mega STEs.

I would think, assuming that it will fit your case, or that you're comfortable with modifying your case to get it to fit, that it should work well enough.

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I used this same exact PSU when converting my U.K. 1040STE to a U.S. model. With the exception of changing from the nomenclature from CH1, 2 & 3 to V1, 2 & 3 between pages 2 and 5, the documentation couldn't be easier to understand. The incoming and outgoing pinouts are on page five of the pdf documentation. Just double-check those with a meter to make certain they're giving you the voltage outputs you're expecting and you should be good, at least with the PSU.

I'm not sure that PSU will provide the juice you may need for a Mega STE with an internal HD, etc., but it powers my 1040STE with minimal internal, unpowered upgrades quite easily.

It doesn't look like @Umberto told you, but you really should have ordered 3 of these as well:

PSU connector

These would have made things quite a bit easier to wire it in.

Good luck!

I'm running a lightning usb with usb HDD and usb DVD no problems. Has ample power. But meanwell has bigger PSU's if needed