IGNORED

Quantity of Apple II for sale items increasing.

Keatah

The quantity of Apple II items for sale on ebay has been increasing slowly but steadily. Reaching just over 4100 items today. Why is that happening?

1- People are looking to cash in on things "Apple" and "Jobs".

2- Interest in the platform in waning and stuff's being gotten rid of.

3- Interest in the platform is increasing, more interest, more trade, more recognition.

4- Apple II is an old platform and original owners are dying off. Now that stuff is being sold.

What do you think is the reason?

5. Limited places to purchase.

Most thrift store won't touch old computers with a 10 foot pole. CRTs are a no-no.

If they do get them, they right to the trash/recycle. If you find an old empty disk caddie at goodwill - it probably had diskettes inside.

But, store rules are to toss them.

8 hours ago, Keatah said:

4- Apple II is an old platform and original owners are dying off. Now that stuff is being sold.

Or, This was my computer when I was kid/ this was my kid's computer.

Thats how most of my Craigslist buys went.

Reason 3 too.

Hardware wise, its probably the easiest to get a working computer running and set-up.

Most people over 30/35 will have some memory of seeing or using an A2 at their school.

The only reason I knew Atari made computers was because I got a junk 65xe In kindergarten that worked for a week.

Didn't really know about C64 until I got one from a goodwill in my early teens.

But my first MEMORABLE computer memory's were using a IIgs to learning LOGO in a lab with 30 computers.

Or playing Oregon Trail on the classroom as a reward or on a rainy recess day.

I even went summer program the Parks and Rec. had at local middle school and got use the LEGO Technic kit thing with an apple 2.

I'd say a good chunk of 30/40 somethings now have regular decent paying jobs.

So more buyers and less product means higher prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Feh. It is the same as always. People need money are are willing to release HW or SW, and people are bored, stuck at home. so it is a good time to market hobbyist stuff. The prices have not diminished, so it is not desperation. Look for the simple, and the logical answers, not for the financial answers.

I still have a regular stream of hobbyists sending stuff for repair or restoration, and I often need to send them elsewhere due to lack of time. This is no exception. I do not back-slate more than five jobs, so I turn down a lot of projects, that would pay for the stuff that I want or want to replace. 

I specifically never advertise my high value items in Dec-Jan as people have spent their money on holiday/family gifts. 

Edited by GameGeezer

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 4:53 PM, Keatah said:

The quantity of Apple II items for sale on ebay has been increasing slowly but steadily. Reaching just over 4100 items today. Why is that happening?

1- People are looking to cash in on things "Apple" and "Jobs".

2- Interest in the platform in waning and stuff's being gotten rid of.

3- Interest in the platform is increasing, more interest, more trade, more recognition.

What do you think is the reason?

Personally I think it is a combination of #s 1 and 4.  But, additionally, I think it has to do with simple economics with there still being a good supply (at least for several models), but demand for the machine(s) have gone up.  Just my two cents.

It is good to see the II+ & //e prices move into the $250 range though. For a while they were languishing below $100-$125. Pricing of most books now averages around $40-$50. And manuals are at $32. I've seen asking prices for joysticks top $200 - that's ridiculous because most sell for about $75-$90.

1 hour ago, Asaki said:

Ouch. That sucks :(

They do it because "it may contain personal information." As if anyone cares about "personal information" on decades old media.

Meanwhile they sell hard drives and computers with hard drives in them without wiping them as far as I know.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bluejay said:

Meanwhile they sell hard drives and computers with hard drives in them without wiping them as far as I know.

Yeah, I was going to ask about that...

I've found plenty of personal info on HDDs. Even CC info, taxes, etc.

Disks? Can't imagine so much. Especially if they're clearly games/programs.

Perhaps this will mean that prices might come back down to realistic levels.

$90 for a mouse is criminal.  Paying $100 for a crappy joystick is even more so.

Perhaps what is happening is option 1.  People who have been hoarders the past ten years are seeing that they can get decent cash for machines they have no intention of ever using. (The worst crime there is in vintage computing)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Apple IIC on Ebay about 6yrs ago for $100, free shipping. It included the pc, monochrome monitor, joystick, 6 "get started with Apple" disk, several manuals, all in very good condition. The guy said he bought everything at an estate sale and knew very little about the stuff. The graphics are pretty sweet when I hook it up to a color monitor. 

• Like 1