IGNORED

Atari VCS sub forum

Tidus79001

Al, now that the Atari VCS has launched and people are have started getting them in hand when will a Atari VCS sub forum under Atari Systems be opened for the new console?  This is AtariAge after all and we should not start fragmenting the structure on the forums by denying the new console as part of Atari's legacy because there are some who have a negative impression of the new console or Atari as they are in 2020.  There are sill many fan who are excited by it and want place to come together in a civil manner to discuss the console.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Thanks 1

I see under Classic Gaming > Modern Gaming > Atari VCS.  Is that the new forum?  Look like it was here already since there are topic in it already dating back to Nov 2020.  Just making sure that I am not confused.  I thought it was going to be under Atari Systems > Atari VCS.  Either way is fine but I thought it would be under the Atari Systems section.  Just want to make sure I undering correctly where the new sub forum for the Atari VCS is located.

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'm busy moving forums around at the moment to improve the organization.  There will be root categories for Classic Consoles, Classic Computing, Modern Consoles, and Classic Gaming General to cover forums that don't fit into those categories.

..Al

Ok, cool :)

Any possibility of a bit of consolidation in modern gaming? More specifically, with the slow down in discussion of them given the release of PS5 and Series S/X, is there any value in the thought of perhaps merging PS3 with PS4 and 360 with the XB1?

I've never been personally fond of a lot of forum subdivision, but I know a lot of people do like the specialization. But given the amount of discussion on the past two generations of Sony/Microsoft gaming (Not much these days and it's only going to be declining from here on out), we might end up with two stronger forums by doing this. Forums busy enough that hopefully people interested in modern gaming will be compelled to look at them more often than they otherwise would as attention continues to shift to the newest consoles, and help keep them busier than if they were off on their own.

I like for instance that Wii and Wii U is a single forum. It's slow enough as it is, but were they standalone areas, they'd be ghost towns. Perhaps activity has benefited slightly by the combination of these two. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Any possibility of a bit of consolidation in modern gaming? With the slow down in discussion of them given the release of PS5 and Series S/X, any value in the thought of perhaps merging PS3 with PS4 and 360 with the XB1?

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no way to "merge" multiple forums together.  Also, at this time I wouldn't want to merge the PS4 and XB1 forums with others, as they are still the current "modern" consoles that many people have, and it'll be a while before the PS5 and Series S/X gain enough of a foothold to displace them. That's something I can explore down the road, especially if there are tools available to help merge forums.

I've never been personally fond of a lots of forum subdivision, but I know a lot of people like the specialization. But given the amount of discussion on the past two generations of Sony/Microsoft gaming (Not much these days), we might end up with two stronger forums by doing this. Forums busy enough that hopefully people interesting in modern gaming will be compelled to look at them more often than they otherwise would as attention continues to shift to the newest consoles, and help keep them busier than they would off on their own.

I'm not a big fan of "lots of forum subdivision", but it was time to try and organize the various console and computing forums a bit better.  They were all clumped under one category, and they were all nested more than they needed to be.  Meaning new users would have a harder time finding some of those forums if they didn't take the time to poke around.  So now there are "Classic Consoles", "Classic Computers", "Modern Consoles", and "Gaming General" groups so they are all better organized than they were previously.  It does make the front page of the forum taller, though, but also makes many of those forums considerably more visible than they were previously.

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CPUWIZ said:

No Ouya forum?  How about a forum for calculators?  How about forums for every resistor value used in classic consoles?  What about a re-capping forum?

Those are all good ideas for forums, I'll get right on that.

1 minute ago, CPUWIZ said:

Rename the Jaguar forum to Octagon.

Done.

..Al

• Like 2

Just now, CPUWIZ said:

No Ouya forum?  How about a forum for calculators?  How about forums for every resistor value used in classic consoles?  What about a re-capping forum?

Rename the Jaguar forum to Octagon.

For all the sub-division, I'm still surprised a regular Nintendo or Super Nintendo forum hasn't come about yet. Especially now with NintendoAge down and out, there really isn't a good place for early Nintendo fans to be anymore (not that NintendoAge was ever a good place to be...).

3 minutes ago, Rhomaios said:

For all the sub-division, I'm still surprised a regular Nintendo or Super Nintendo forum hasn't come about yet. Especially now with NintendoAge down and out, there really isn't a good place for early Nintendo fans to be anymore (not that NintendoAge was ever a good place to be...).

You're right, those are pretty big omissions.  There's even an NES High Score Club, but no NES forum.

..Al

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rhomaios said:

I mean, it is AtariAge, so no one can complain too much... I vaguely recall years and years ago that you had some reason for skipping over them, but I don't really remember anymore.

Possibly because of NintendoAge, and there didn't seem to be much of a desire for them at the time.  But that's obviously changed now.

..Al

7 minutes ago, D Train said:

I thought I was losing my mind or was in an alternate universe or something...

You should have seen me freaking out when I discovered how obscenely buggy the administration page for creating and organizing forums is, and that it had moved a TON of forums into the incorrect categories and I had to fix them all. 

And even worse, when I moved some forums that contained sub-forums to the root (such as "Modern Gaming"), it converted those forums to Categories.  At the root level of the forum, categories can only contain additional forums, they cannot themselves be a forum.  This resulted in those forums suddenly losing ALL their threads.  I nearly pooped myself when I discovered what was happening.  Fortunately, moving those forums back into a root category, and then changing that moved "category" back to a forum restored the posts.  For a few minutes there I thought I was going to have to restore the forum database from the overnight backup.

..Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, D Train said:

I have used very few of these things, but it's interesting to me how poor the CMS is on many of them...

Overall the forum CMS is fairly good.  But that's the first time with this version of the forum software I've moved so many forums around, and I was quite surprised to see how quickly it managed to make a mess of things!  I now know to be super careful with it in the future.  Especially if the forum is online when I'm doing it! :D

..Al