IGNORED

Atari VCS sub forum

Tidus79001

2 minutes ago, D Train said:

"I'll just make a few changes to the system while it's live.  It can't screw things up *that* badly..."

Well, it's intended to be used with the forum online, and normally it's not a big deal (for instance, if I create a new forum, rename a forum, change the description of a forum, change permissions, etc.)  But messing with a whole bunch of forums at once, which also SHOULD have been okay, quickly made me regret doing so while the forum was online. :D

..Al

• Like 1

Good work with the reorganization! I'm not sure if the misquoted Star Trek one is applicable, but I'll try anyway:

"It's AtariAge Jim, but not as we know it."

Also while it doesn't matter to me, I still wonder why a subforum for the Dreamcast was created, but the Saturn was left out, not even combined the two into one. For those arguing they're vastly different systems, the Intellivision and Aquarius share a subforum despite mainly having the manufacturer in common.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Just now, Cebus Capucinis said:

I dig the organization though. Breaking it down via system is helpful to see the new posts in specific areas, I never knew what was going on in Classic Gaming, haha!

Besides adding the Atari General forum and the three new System forums (Atari VCS, Playstation 5, and Xbox Series S/X), I just organized things a bit better so it's easier to see forums that were "buried" previously.  I've wanted to do that for a while. 

..Al

3 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Hm. When I did a Google Images search for Atari General, all I got were pics from Custer's Revenge. ?

I think I prefer Captain Atari over the General.

Ha, you're not kidding.  I did search for "atari general" (without the quotes) on Google (not an image search) and the new forum is on the first page of results, so that's good. Not that I expect people to ever search for that.

..Al

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Ha, you're not kidding.  I did search for "atari general" (without the quotes) on Google (not an image search) and the new forum is on the first page of results, so that's good. Not that I expect people to ever search for that.

..Al

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Hm. When I did a Google Images search for Atari General, all I got were pics from Custer's Revenge. ?

I think I prefer Captain Atari over the General.

oh geez- i'm glad i didn't do that while connected to our work network or anything.  i'm not sure i'd be prepared for the questions that would come up, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Anyway to keep taco posts out of the sub-forum?   I pretty much had to put all Atari VCS threads on mute because the noise-to-signal ratio was so overwhelming

Maybe we need to start kicking people out of it.  I've posted warnings before about the taco memes—they're one of the main reasons the "taco thread" was locked—but it seems that some people are getting carried away again.

• Like 3

On 12/17/2020 at 2:04 AM, Albert said:

So now there are "Classic Consoles", "Classic Computers", "Modern Consoles", and "Gaming General" groups so they are all better organized than they were previously.

Where does PC gaming go these days? Does it belong under Gaming General because a PC is not a console? Previously when the top category was called Modern Gaming it encompassed all forms of gaming past year 2000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Where does PC gaming go these days? Does it belong under Gaming General because a PC is not a console? Previously when the top category was called Modern Gaming it encompassed all forms of gaming past year 2000.

the question of classification is always a hotly contested one it seems like.  :)  I think having either Classic PC Gaming (1980-2000)/Modern PC Gaming (2000-present) would be cool in the respective areas, but how are the moving goalposts set?

I'm more thinking out loud than anything but I was wondering about computer gaming as well.

On 12/17/2020 at 12:55 AM, Tidus79001 said:

I see under Classic Gaming > Modern Gaming > Atari VCS.  Is that the new forum?  Look like it was here already since there are topic in it already dating back to Nov 2020.  Just making sure that I am not confused.  I thought it was going to be under Atari Systems > Atari VCS.  Either way is fine but I thought it would be under the Atari Systems section.  Just want to make sure I undering correctly where the new sub forum for the Atari VCS is located.

+1

On 12/17/2020 at 12:34 AM, Albert said:

Done!  I also created forums for the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series S/X.

..Al

If I'm not wrong VCS is the Atari console, therefore would be cool to have it under "Atari Systems"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyprian_K said:

+1

If I'm not wrong VCS is the Atari console, therefore would be cool to have it under "Atari Systems"

Yes, that was what I was getting at with this.  To me it seemed being an Atari Console its should be grouped under Atari Systems. This being an Atari first site that is where it should be whereas other non Atari consoles are generalized in the categories they get placed in.

On 12/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, Albert said:

Possibly because of NintendoAge, and there didn't seem to be much of a desire for them at the time.  But that's obviously changed now.

..Al

I know that myself and a couple other (lovingly) annoying folks were asking for an NES sub grouo for quite some time. A shame I suppose that it was precipitated by the closure of NA forums, but I won't complain. And the moderation here is much, much better so I would think the same kind of fooslishNES from over there won't be much tolerated here.

Thanks very much, Albert and company!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atarilovesyou said:

I know that myself and a couple other (lovingly) annoying folks were asking for an NES sub grouo for quite some time. A shame I suppose that it was precipitated by the closure of NA forums, but I won't complain. And the moderation here is much, much better so I would think the same kind of fooslishNES from over there won't be much tolerated here.

Thanks very much, Albert and company!

I did create NES and SNES forums several days ago. And I moved a bunch of relevant threads into each of them. Do need to move more when I have time. 

..Al

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Yay.  Just noticed that the Atari VCS is now in it proper place under the Atari Systems section on the forum and no longer under Modern Console.  Now it has joined the rest of the Atari family tree on this site and that is just as it should be.  Thanks, Albert.

• Like 1