IGNORED

Series X or S?

Serguei2

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/compare

In short: Xbox Series X is far more powerful and includes a disc drive. If you have a 4k TV, you'll want this. The Xbox Series S is less powerful and does not include a disc drive. If you don't have a 4k TV, don't care about discs, or don't care about being on the cutting edge at all, go for the Series S and save the $200. 

If you are planning on a PS5 already, I'd go for the Series S as a secondary console for Game Pass Ultimate, basically.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

After really looking at the S console, I can say that for the price it is the best value for someone on a budget however. If all you are going to do is play Game Pass and download titles, $299 is not a bad deal for the little machine. That and the fact that it makes a better emulation machine than even some powerful computers makes it quite appealing.

Not for me (physical media guy all of the way) but I wouldn't discount it if you are not one.

• Like 3

They are locking you in to the inferior experience, restricting you to their online store, and not giving you a big enough SSD to support the games. It looks like savings up front, but it will be worse, even on a 1080p set, especially for games released later in this generation, which will require the extra power.

Rather than creating a 2-tiered system, it's better marketing-wise for everyone to covet the same next gen box, like with the PS5.

10 minutes ago, DJ Clae said:

They are locking you in to the inferior experience, restricting you to their online store, and not giving you a big enough SSD to support the games. It looks like savings up front, but it will be worse, even on a 1080p set, especially for games released later in this generation, which will require the extra power.

Rather than creating a 2-tiered system, it's better marketing-wise for everyone to covet the same next gen box, like with the PS5.

Unless of course you can't afford it.

More choice is always better for the consumer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Unless of course you can't afford it.

More choice is always better for the consumer.

Today yes.

But once the price drops, everybody would buy Series X and Microsoft might discontinue Series S.

Not a problem if Series S can upgrade to Series X.

If not, ...

Is there anything to suggest seriously that they would discontinue the budget option of the console?  They've continued to offer some sort of budget option for Xbox One through the entire run.  Sony did the same with PS4.  They did it for the 360 and PS3 as well.

The question about discontinuing doesn't really matter because there is a budget option available now and YES that is better for consumers than NOT having the option.  More choices is better for consumers.

On 1/21/2021 at 3:03 PM, Serguei2 said:

Sooner or later, both s & X will be discontinued one day.

And so will everything else you use or plan on using in the future. Even things that do not exist yet are eventually doomed to this future. And, in the end, the Earth itself will be discontinued from the solar system.

But, if you live in the now and just want to enjoy what things are to offer in life....get an Xbox in any form. You really can't go wrong as it is all fun.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, eightbit said:

And so will everything else you use or plan on using in the future. Even things that do not exist yet are eventually doomed to this future. And, in the end, the Earth itself will be discontinued from the solar system.

But, if you live in the now and just want to enjoy what things are to offer in life....get an Xbox in any form. You really can't go wrong as it is all fun.

I had fun with gameboy and 3ds too. Both are discontinued.

I have an X and I'm loving it. My nephews have the S and you know what they are blown away by the S. They constantly ramble on how much cooler the graphics look vs their old One and now they think they are now pros in fortnite haha.  Kids

Bottom line I agree with others either system is great. Yes there are some drawbacks with the S but for the money its well worth it and if your getting it for the kids to play they probably are not stick in the muds like most of us adults can be. 

I will admit I'm tempted to pick up an S for the emulation option

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

No one's mentioned it yet OP, but keep in mind while Xbox Series S is weaker and lower res and has lesser architecture...

It will have xcloud support which can stream games to Series X and can play games in up-enhanced 4K/60fps that way. Which seems to have been the plan from the start imo.

Xcloud has its own variation of game pass too. 

What you could do OP, is buy a Series S on that phone-style payment plan MS has called "All Access". Have that for a bit until the bigger more power taxing games come out, then switch the plan over and upgrade to Series X. Gamepass is included free with All Access.

41 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

No one's mentioned it yet OP, but keep in mind while Xbox Series S is weaker and lower res and has lesser architecture...

It will have xcloud support which can stream games to Series X and can play games in up-enhanced 4K/60fps that way. Which seems to have been the plan from the start imo.

Xcloud has its own variation of game pass too. 

What you could do OP, is buy a Series S on that phone-style payment plan MS has called "All Access". Have that for a bit until the bigger more power taxing games come out, then switch the plan over and upgrade to Series X. Gamepass is included free with All Access.

Sound likes Xbox Series S and X are two differents systems.

3 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

Sound likes Xbox Series S and X are two differents systems.

Don't know a lot about the technical side, so not gonna try to sound like I do.  But I'll say this from experience --

I've had a One X (Scorpio Edition) since it launched.   Got to spend a weekend playing the S, and it felt like no upgrade at all, really, with the exception of quick resume, and that crashed the whole thing frequently.  May have been fixed via updates since then, but it wasn't good.

Picked up a Series X when I bought one for myself, and it actually felt like an upgrade over the One X.  Not revolutionary or anything really "new," but it felt like it finally worked as smoothly as I always felt my One X should.  So, pretty happy with it overall, other than some really, really slow download speeds that I've not sorted out yet.

51 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Don't know a lot about the technical side, so not gonna try to sound like I do.  But I'll say this from experience --

I've had a One X (Scorpio Edition) since it launched.   Got to spend a weekend playing the S, and it felt like no upgrade at all, really, with the exception of quick resume, and that crashed the whole thing frequently.  May have been fixed via updates since then, but it wasn't good.

Picked up a Series X when I bought one for myself, and it actually felt like an upgrade over the One X.  Not revolutionary or anything really "new," but it felt like it finally worked as smoothly as I always felt my One X should.  So, pretty happy with it overall, other than some really, really slow download speeds that I've not sorted out yet.

At the start the Series S was questionable compared to the One X for an upgrade, but recent third and first party releases are widening the gap quickly.

But it was made intentionally to be a cheap "in between" machine for next gen games. For example One X can't handle even the gimped version of Flight simulator Series S can.

.....or Cyberpunk. Xbox One X basically sets on fire with that one. 

23 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

For example One X can't handle even the gimped version of Flight simulator Series S can.

From my experience, the One X can't even handle it's own OS.  ?    I've had more crashes with that piece of crap that I've ever experienced in a console before.   And they all say the same "something went wrong" nonsense.

Most useless console ever.

Rant over  ?

I do love my Series X, though!  Hopefully MS won't bloat it to death with updates so it's all chuggy and has "whatever color they're up to" ring/screen of death over the next couple of years.