IGNORED

Series X or S?

Serguei2

56 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

It's weird for me.

More likes if Nintendo released 3DS and New 3Ds at the same time.

I don't understand what Microsoft is doing this way.

Series S is entry level next gen, it's only $299 compared to $500 Series X and PS5.

It's all digital with no disc drive, but it's much stronger than the Pro versions of previous consoles, you can do upscaled 4K gaming or 2K and it has the new powerful zen architecture.

The idea is for people to buy a Series S first and get an X later when there's more stock.

Or to be an entry cheap option that can handle most games and stream the more demanding ones. As you're Xbox One consoles won't be able to.

It's made for price drops too, it can likely hit the $199 price point in 1.5--2 years 

Yeah the Xbox Series X is the main powerful console but it's $500.

Consoles used to not go higher than $400.

In fact the original model of Xbox One was attacked for being $500. Although that was mostly kinects fault.

So that $299 Series S is to try to get the more price cautious on board 

It's more like if Sony owned 3DS and Vita and released them both at the same time.

That's a better analogy 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

It's weird for me.

More likes if Nintendo released 3DS and New 3Ds at the same time.

I don't understand what Microsoft is doing this way.

Pretty simple really, a cheaper option for those sitting on the fence or undecided, the cheaper option might be the deciding factor for people as they can still play the same games, less storage but for some people that might be already into PS5 or PC gaming it's cheap enough to compliment their other platforms. For that price, it is an impressively small and powerful option, add developer mode and it opens it up to running emulation of many platforms proving to be even more "backwards compatible" for the PLAYSTATION generation of platforms then even the PS5. Options are always a good thing. ? Right now it is also an option for many considering getting into PC gaming but not willing to suck up the ridiculous current costs of a good graphics card, a nice alternative until things settle down, you can get the series S for so much less than JUST a GPU. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Series S back in September (stumbled upon one at Wal-Mart, total impulse buy). While I am enjoying it, I can confirm that if you want the full "next-gen" experience, the Series X is the way to go. The issue there however is availability. I've yet to stumble upon a Series X and they are never available when I check for them through the Xbox All-Access program.

For someone like me, the S is a convenient little stepping stone and a fun taste of the current generation (Microsoft Flight Sim!). The fast load times are a big step up from my One X and it's hard to go back to the previous Xbox One systems as a result. That said, the graphics performance is significantly compromised compared to the Series X and games don't really go higher than 1440p. They also don't look particularly great on my 4K display. It's definitely a box meant for 1080p/1440p screens. The lack of a disc drive also means one will preferably already have a large digital library like myself, or a subscription to Game Pass. I do already miss physical CD and movie playback, but for the time being it's nothing my PS3 can't handle. It's nice having that functionality in one box though.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I keep seeing piles of S's at Walmart, but never an X to be found.  I might pick one up someday if i actually see one for sale.  

Having an Xbox One X that plays everything and is plenty powerful hasn't exactly lit a fire under me to make any upgrades.  I'd really like to get a "Gen II" Series X in a little more conventional form factor.  The rectangle box thing isn't doing it for me, i literally don't have room for it anywhere in my entertainment center.   The form factor of the S is perfect; but it's less powerful and digital only which are both huge no-go's for me.  If they go straight digital next gen, which i think they will, my console days are officially done.   

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I keep seeing piles of S's at Walmart, but never an X to be found.  I might pick one up someday if i actually see one for sale.  

Having an Xbox One X that plays everything and is plenty powerful hasn't exactly lit a fire under me to make any upgrades.  I'd really like to get a "Gen II" Series X in a little more conventional form factor.  The rectangle box thing isn't doing it for me, i literally don't have room for it anywhere in my entertainment center.   The form factor of the S is perfect; but it's less powerful and digital only which are both huge no-go's for me.  If they go straight digital next get, which i think they will, my console days are officially done.   

So true.

I would never buy a new 3DS if this portable is digital only.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2021 at 5:47 PM, Leeroy ST said:

Yeah the Xbox Series X is the main powerful console but it's $500.

Consoles used to not go higher than $400.

"The Playstation 3 will retail for... five hundred ninety-nine US dollars!"

Well, I got lucky over a week ago. Gamestop had a pro member bundle availability of the Series X and I was able to order one at 4 in the afternoon when I finally noticed the email. That was 8 hours after sending the email out. I think this could be a sign that scalpers might no longer be going after the big bundles with the extras. Either that or the Presidents' Day 3 day weekend caught them slipping. Because this was on Presidents' Day.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a current gen console, I'd go Series X definitely. You are future-proofing, getting a better experience gaming-wise, better picture experience if you ever rent Blu-ray movies, and have a drive for playing your original Xbox/Xbox 360 and Xbox One physical game disks.

I just ordered an All Access version from Best Buy. What that is is you get the console (Series X) with a wireless controller and 24 months of All Access (online gaming, Ultimate Gaming Pass) for just $35 a month. There's no interest so it's free money, and they sold me one whereas standalone consoles themselves are still sold out everywhere. I guess they're reserving X consoles for the bundle packages, as it's more profit for them to bundle in the Game Pass/online play.

So it's $500 for console, $340 for the Game Pass/online = $840 or $35/month. The Series S is only $10/month cheaper or $25/month for 24 months. Free money, unless you totally are not interested in the Game Pass. I happen to like having access to a bunch of free games that I'd normally wouldn't buy (or afford). 

I used All Access to buy my current Xbox One S a year and half ago. I could've upgraded to the Series X and they would've sent me a box to send the One S and controller (wireless) back to them and then I'd no longer have to make the $25/month payments on the One S (owe $100 still). But I figured that'd be nuts since the One S and controller are worth $150 or so. And then I'd risk there being a problem with the return. I am going to keep the wireless controller and sell along the Xbox One S. My One S has a disc drive, and it's come in handy since I sometimes pick up games (used or new) dirt cheap on physical media. Best Buy had NBA 2K22 on sale for $19 whereas digital version was still full price at $60.

This isn't an ad from Atari Age. :) Just info. Sucks there aren't any separate Series X consoles available. 

aa-03-17 10.55.39 AM.jpg

1 hour ago, jd_1138 said:

If you want a current gen console, I'd go Series X definitely. You are future-proofing, getting a better experience gaming-wise, better picture experience if you ever rent Blu-ray movies, and have a drive for playing your original Xbox/Xbox 360 and Xbox One physical game disks.

I just ordered an All Access version from Best Buy. What that is is you get the console (Series X) with a wireless controller and 24 months of All Access (online gaming, Ultimate Gaming Pass) for just $35 a month. There's no interest so it's free money, and they sold me one whereas standalone consoles themselves are still sold out everywhere. I guess they're reserving X consoles for the bundle packages, as it's more profit for them to bundle in the Game Pass/online play.

So it's $500 for console, $340 for the Game Pass/online = $840 or $35/month. The Series S is only $10/month cheaper or $25/month for 24 months. Free money, unless you totally are not interested in the Game Pass. I happen to like having access to a bunch of free games that I'd normally wouldn't buy (or afford). 

I used All Access to buy my current Xbox One S a year and half ago. I could've upgraded to the Series X and they would've sent me a box to send the One S and controller (wireless) back to them and then I'd no longer have to make the $25/month payments on the One S (owe $100 still). But I figured that'd be nuts since the One S and controller are worth $150 or so. And then I'd risk there being a problem with the return. I am going to keep the wireless controller and sell along the Xbox One S. My One S has a disc drive, and it's come in handy since I sometimes pick up games (used or new) dirt cheap on physical media. Best Buy had NBA 2K22 on sale for $19 whereas digital version was still full price at $60.

This isn't an ad from Atari Age. :) Just info. Sucks there aren't any separate Series X consoles available. 

aa-03-17 10.55.39 AM.jpg

Nevermind.

I just realized X series has a blu-ray drive.

Edited by Serguei2
Oops

6 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

You can plug an USB drive to series S?

Good to know.

In a world without copy protection, it'd be trivial to plug a Blu-ray player into the USB port of a Series S for games/movies. Copy protection does nothing but punish honest people. The crooks know how and will circumvent the tech hurdles.

23 hours ago, jd_1138 said:

aa-03-17 10.55.39 AM.jpg

Woah! I have checked for All-Access multiple times over the last year and have never been able to find a Series X with it. Just checked again because of your post, and holy crap! I got in!

Now to decide whether to keep my Series S as an emulation box, or sell it.. ?

Stoked to have disc-based playback again.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Austin said:

Woah! I have checked for All-Access multiple times over the last year and have never been able to find a Series X with it. Just checked again because of your post, and holy crap! I got in!

Now to decide whether to keep my Series S as an emulation box, or sell it.. ?

Stoked to have disc-based playback again.

Awesome! I got mine from Best Buy (half a mile away), but I guess Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Target and couple others offer it. It's scheduled to be at the local Best Buy this Tuesday.

3 minutes ago, jd_1138 said:

Awesome! I got mine from Best Buy (half a mile away), but I guess Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Target and couple others offer it. It's scheduled to be at the local Best Buy this Tuesday.

Yeah I went through Best Buy as well. Mine looks to be scheduled for pickup on the 23rd.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 11:55 AM, Austin said:

Yeah I went through Best Buy as well. Mine looks to be scheduled for pickup on the 23rd.

Mine was scheduled for pickup on 22nd (today), but I got a message around noon saying it was delayed. I thought oh crap, so the bait and switch, but an hour ago I got a message saying it's available at Best Buy tomorrow for pickup.

Wish me luck. :) I will post a pic here of the console if I actually receive it. 

9 hours ago, jd_1138 said:

Mine was scheduled for pickup on 22nd (today), but I got a message around noon saying it was delayed. I thought oh crap, so the bait and switch, but an hour ago I got a message saying it's available at Best Buy tomorrow for pickup.

Wish me luck. :) I will post a pic here of the console if I actually receive it. 

Yeah let me know how it goes. Mine is supposed to be ready today but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

6 hours ago, Austin said:

Yeah let me know how it goes. Mine is supposed to be ready today but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Late last night, I got an email saying it was ready, so I picked it up today on way to work. Can't wait to set it up tonight. Yours might be a day late too. I hope you get it.

IMG_20220323_133344.jpg

1 minute ago, jd_1138 said:

Late last night, I got an email saying it was ready, so I picked it up today on way to work. Can't wait to set it up tonight. Yours might be a day late too. I hope you get it.

Nice! I actually got notification saying mine is ready too. Going to pick it up after work as well.

Yep! Picked mine up on Wednesday. Set it up yesterday.

When you log into it, it should give you a pop-up asking you to redeem your two years of Game Pass Ultimate. I was confused on that detail when I picked up the console, but it was pretty seamless when I was getting it setup.