Serguei2

Series X or S?

20 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

It's more like comparing the Iphone 7 to the Iphone X.

Or the Samsung S7 to the S8.

Or the PSP to the Dreamcast.

Ok.

Were both S and X released at the same time?

3 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

Yes.

It's weird for me.

More likes if Nintendo released 3DS and New 3Ds at the same time.

I don't understand what Microsoft is doing this way.

56 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

It's weird for me.

Series S is entry level next gen, it's only $299 compared to $500 Series X and PS5.

It's all digital with no disc drive, but it's much stronger than the Pro versions of previous consoles, you can do upscaled 4K gaming or 2K and it has the new powerful zen architecture.

The idea is for people to buy a Series S first and get an X later when there's more stock.

Or to be an entry cheap option that can handle most games and stream the more demanding ones. As you're Xbox One consoles won't be able to.

It's made for price drops too, it can likely hit the $199 price point in 1.5--2 years 

Yeah the Xbox Series X is the main powerful console but it's $500.

Consoles used to not go higher than $400.

In fact the original model of Xbox One was attacked for being $500. Although that was mostly kinects fault.

So that $299 Series S is to try to get the more price cautious on board 

It's more like if Sony owned 3DS and Vita and released them both at the same time.

That's a better analogy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Serguei2 said:

It's weird for me.

Pretty simple really, a cheaper option for those sitting on the fence or undecided, the cheaper option might be the deciding factor for people as they can still play the same games, less storage but for some people that might be already into PS5 or PC gaming it's cheap enough to compliment their other platforms. For that price, it is an impressively small and powerful option, add developer mode and it opens it up to running emulation of many platforms proving to be even more "backwards compatible" for the PLAYSTATION generation of platforms then even the PS5. Options are always a good thing. 😉 Right now it is also an option for many considering getting into PC gaming but not willing to suck up the ridiculous current costs of a good graphics card, a nice alternative until things settle down, you can get the series S for so much less than JUST a GPU. 

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

It's easier to produce too. There are times Xbox sold more in places like india because the S was cheap and more available than XSX and PS5.

I dont see those two having better availability for another year. I'm sure both are stocking product for the holiday right now. After that back to supply issues.

• Like 1

Going back to the original question, if you're in the market for a complete replacement or a new console and provided that there was stock, Series X is the way to go.

The 'provided that there was stock' is a HUGE caveat, however. lol

I picked up a Series S back in September (stumbled upon one at Wal-Mart, total impulse buy). While I am enjoying it, I can confirm that if you want the full "next-gen" experience, the Series X is the way to go. The issue there however is availability. I've yet to stumble upon a Series X and they are never available when I check for them through the Xbox All-Access program.

For someone like me, the S is a convenient little stepping stone and a fun taste of the current generation (Microsoft Flight Sim!). The fast load times are a big step up from my One X and it's hard to go back to the previous Xbox One systems as a result. That said, the graphics performance is significantly compromised compared to the Series X and games don't really go higher than 1440p. They also don't look particularly great on my 4K display. It's definitely a box meant for 1080p/1440p screens. The lack of a disc drive also means one will preferably already have a large digital library like myself, or a subscription to Game Pass. I do already miss physical CD and movie playback, but for the time being it's nothing my PS3 can't handle. It's nice having that functionality in one box though.

• Like 1