IGNORED

Modifying SpartaDOS X CAR: content

ijor

23 minutes ago, ijor said:

Is there any tool, or just any way, to easily modify the content of the CAR: device in a SpartaDOS X image? Say, I want to put a couple of my own executables

Thanks

Most SDX images don't have much room to add your own executables, but it can be done. You need the SDX imager found on this page -

http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_addons

Edited by Frankie

8 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

What I do for extra functions is use CONFIG.SYS to set the PATH as below and put

executables in the D6:\BIN\ also runs Batch files from the D5:\BAT\

DEVICE FATFS
DEVICE RAMDISK N,20
DEVICE DOSKEY
SET PATH=CAR:;D6:\BIN\;D5:\BAT\;D9:
SET MANPATH=D6:\MAN\

I put a directory SPARTA.DOS on D1, inside are files ending in .CFG, this way when I boot I get a nice menu where I can choose multiple configurations without modifying the cart image. --- My point is CONFIG.SYS can be put on D1. Also these config files can contain SET BATCH=D1:>PATH\TO\BATCHFILE.BAT (or something similar) so that I can decide where the autoexec.bat  files should be on D1. After booting D1 can be removed if needs be. Not that this would work for everyone - but it sure is handy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrFSL said:

I put a directory SPARTA.DOS on D1, inside are files ending in .CFG, this way when I boot I get a nice menu where I can choose multiple configurations without modifying the cart image. --- My point is CONFIG.SYS can be put on D1. Also these config files can contain SET BATCH=D1:>PATH\TO\BATCHFILE.BAT (or something similar) so that I can decide where the autoexec.bat  files should be on D1. After booting D1 can be removed if needs be. Not that this would work for everyone - but it sure is handy. 

To expand on this, I also run multiple configs via the SPARTA.DOS folder.  What is cool, is each config can end by calling a unique BAT file as well. Also - the SPARTA.DOS folder can be on a HDD when using Ultimate 1MB with @flashjazzcat excellent BIOS just by setting the boot drive.  So you can end up with a fully self contained system with no need for floppy drives.  Crazy when I remember back to my first system, a 400 with just a 410 tape drive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

the SPARTA.DOS folder can be on a HDD when using Ultimate 1MB with @flashjazzcat excellent BIOS just by setting the boot drive.  So you can end up with a fully self contained system with no need for floppy drives. 

It is the same with the IDE+. You can set the boot drive, you also can set a separate config drive. It works well for me because I don't have to open the computer, de-solder any chips or solder any sockets or wires. I guess technically that isn't "self contained" --- but it is portable between multiple systems which is nice and cost effective if you have multiple systems to play with. Here is mine on the left (Fujinet on the right.) As you can see it is still extremely portable with everything fitting nicely on the machine. The only down side is that I do not know if their are any left to purchase while the U1MB is readily available. 

image.png.748f136ee0477a5eb07cce0fc3a4164b.png

I'm not 100% but I think the SIDE3 can access the SD card from SDX as a disk but someone else would have to confirm that.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Crazy when I remember back to my first system, a 400 with just a 410 tape drive.

Isn't it though? All these great options and tools to play with and all at relative low costs!!! --- I originally bought this 800xl to get back the computer I had as a child and also to get back into programming for it. This was something I worked on in my youth but had precious few resources. Since buying it I haven't gotten to do much programming as I keep tinkering with the hardware and systems side of things. I have played with IDE interfaces, Bluetooth, Internet, RAM upgrades, serial cables, OS switching, modern video outputs.... its really amazing. If I ever get to my assembly programming it might be so far beyond my memory of a flickering television screen that it might have lost all its nostalgia. (Probably not though.)

Cheers everyone!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 1:36 AM, Frankie said:

Most SDX images don't have much room to add your own executables, but it can be done. You need the SDX imager found on this page -

http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_addons

Thanks. No problem if the images are full as long as I can remove files that I don't need.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:37 AM, TGB1718 said:

What I do for extra functions is use CONFIG.SYS to set the PATH as below and put executables in the D6:\BIN\ also runs Batch files from the D5:\BAT\

Appreciate all the other ideas, but I'm not sure they fit my current goal. I need to put everything in a single normal CAR image.