IGNORED

Unofficial Game Boy Thread

pacman000

Did a quick search, & noticed we don't have a thread for Nintendo's venerable old handheld, so here's one. I'm partial to the original Game Boy, the GBC, & the GBA. The Game Boy was my first new system, & it was the first time I'd played Nintendo-style games. There's a lot of memories wrapped up in that blurry, pea-green-&-blue screen.

Any memories? Recommendations? 

Found this recently, it's a game creator for the Game Boy: https://www.gbstudio.dev/

• Like 2

Strange I thought we had something about it, guess it was individual posts.

GB Studio if you can wrap your mind around it can make commercial quality Gameboy game releases and I don't believe having any coding experience is necessary either which is great.

I've been back on a gameboy trip this last quarter or so and recently acquired over a dozen new carts (mostly here, a few inbound still.)  It has been my gaming staple for go to fun since the later mid 90s over console and kind of stayed as such since.  These days I enjoy taking old GB, GBP, GBC, and GBA SP model systems and refurbishing them in various ways to either keep or sell to others as it's fun.  Games I could definitely give a good bit of recommendations about, but it could get long.  I keep a personalized inventory of the stuff I have picked up/held onto all these years so I don't ever end up buying repeats and just for reference.  If you go here tanooki.byethost16.com/ , just use the selection on the left and pick which Gameboy model you like as all the games are listed.  From there you could just highlight and search on them to learn more.  I do actively bring in/keep around imports so it's not just US based stuff.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

In all fairness I don't even know what the Retron Jr is, is that the stupid little cube they were going to make that's just for all things Gameboy (like that's the name they settled on?)

From what I recall of the Jr it was basically just a gutted Retron5 into like a Retron 3(GB, GBC and GBA) not certain if it even does SuperGB, would be nice if it did, as it would one up the GB Player.  I was fairly tempted to look into it but it would come down to price considering I can use a GB Player and a SuperGB over my SuperNT.

The R5 did NOT lag Gameboy stuff of any brand, despite some reports other systems could have potential issues.  The audio was correct, color balancing correct, sprites and other visual ends correct too.  Now maybe not 100% correct but 99.5-99.9% as I'm sure something somewhere out there was jacked up, but obscurity aside rare few would notice it worked great.  It was the last reason I held onto that flimsy piece of crap of hyperkins because the gameboy worked great.  The only issue it had was an optional choice, trying to more so fill the screen.  The squareness of the GB/GBC was fine, but a blown up GBA game, especially those with scaled visuals (like FPS games) or polygons got into this weird really blocky rectangular stretched hellscape.  If you left it as is, keeping your ratios right, like stock GB Player you'd have 4 borders but it looked clean.

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 10:43 AM, pacman000 said:

Did a quick search, & noticed we don't have a thread for Nintendo's venerable old handheld, so here's one. I'm partial to the original Game Boy, the GBC, & the GBA. The Game Boy was my first new system, & it was the first time I'd played Nintendo-style games. There's a lot of memories wrapped up in that blurry, pea-green-&-blue screen.

Any memories? Recommendations? 

Found this recently, it's a game creator for the Game Boy: https://www.gbstudio.dev/

Does GB Studio have messageboard?

Or other places to talk about gameboy programming?

• 1 year later...