IGNORED

The start of a new game (Previously "Can anyone help I'm confused!")

Retrospect

Hello all.

I'm currently toying with a new game, it's so new it doesn't actually have a title.  So let's call it Prototype.

Now, Prototype isn't behaving as it should.  It's incrementing the score twice before anything happens.

There's 3 aliens.  The first alien appears, then the score increments twice as though I've killed two aliens.

Then the other two buggers show up and do their thing.  All aliens are mapped to arrays for their movement, and have arrays for if they're dead or alive.

The code, which I have to apologise isn't the best code, is presented in it's BASIC form for you to have a look at if you've got time.

There's files "proto" is the XB256 uncompiled game, and "proto-x" is the compiled game.

Can anyone tell me where I went wrong for the score to increment twice as it does at the very beginning of the game's execution?

PROTOTYPE.zip

PROTOTYPE GAME.txt

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 3

I think I've solved that problem - it was line 480.

I switched some values over;

480 FOR LOOP=1 TO 3 :: ALIVE(LOOP)=0 :: AFIRE(LOOP)=0 :: ACOUNT(LOOP)=0 :: ADEAD(LOOP)=1

Previously it stated ALIVE(LOOP)=1 and ADEADLOOP=0 inside the FOR-NEXT loop.   I switched the values over to declare everyone dead, and it now increments the count-up before introducing new enemies.

I still don't know why it was treating it as though two had been shot and awarding me points but it doesn't do it now! 

Right ... on with the game.  Dunno what next to do with it?

1 hour ago, oddemann said:

I tryed it in "normal" XB and I get syntax error in 470. Using the wrong XB?

Yes, sorry Oddemann and a good point - I should of said, I'm using the XB256 extensions for Extended Basic from Senior Falcon! :)

I've edited the original post to state XB256 now.

Edited by Retrospect

PROTO2-X < Compiled game

PROTO2 < XB256 uncompiled game 

PROTOTYPE GAME v2.txt < Source code textfile

Added: 

dubious title for game

title screen with creepy annoying music

game over screen that goes back to title screen

font for title screen

transition effect from title screen to game

loads and loads of twinkling stars

Feel free to grab the XB256 source and do what you want with it.  You could alter the enemy attack patterns by manipulating the DATA statements!

Note: If you do this, and you end up with more, or less, data elements, don't forget to reflect this in the TM(xx) array as it's set to 28,31 and 31.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Hi Guys

Okay, so I've got a new game coming along rather nicely, it's a bit different from the one I've shown you on the video but the title's going to be the same.

It's basically a frantic shoot em up with missiles flying all over the place, a little bit like what you'd see from Jeff Minter.  (but not as good!)

I'm just wondering should I start a new thread for it when it's ready?  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Okay, so I've got a new game coming along rather nicely, it's a bit different from the one I've shown you on the video but the title's going to be the same.

It's basically a frantic shoot em up with missiles flying all over the place, a little bit like what you'd see from Jeff Minter.  (but not as good!)

As long it's my missiles and not alien missiles. :lol:

13 hours ago, Retrospect said:

I'm just wondering should I start a new thread for it when it's ready?  

If it's going to be Cosmic Cretins from Outer Space II, then you could keep it here. ;)

• Like 1