IGNORED

Sears Light Sixer - black screen, white flash on start and low hum

Swami

Hi all,

I got a Sears light sixer in a lot with a 7800 and have never got any response out of it even after many parts replacements. The screen is black whether the atari is hooked up and on with cart or not hooked up at all.  Finally did a composite mod, now I get a white flicker with an audio "pop" when I turn the power switch on the SLS off or on and a low hum when it is on. I also get lots of white hazy horizontal bands and white flickering when slowly pulling the video RCA cable out of its composite connection.

BTW, this is the first console I've tried to fix with anything non-trivial or bring back. Also, the first composite mod I installed myself, but everything looks right.

What else I did before:

Cleaned cart port with 91% IPA and lint-free cloth.

Replaced all four IC chips

Replaced power switch, power jack, power regulator and the large cylindrical capacitor on the switchboard with the Console5 refresh kit.

I have some capacitors, diodes and a resistor in the refresh kit, but I can't make heads or tails of where the capacitors go and, from the Console5 Wiki, it sounds like the diodes and resistors may not need replacing in a light sixer. Also, it sounds like a blown small capacitor wouldn't take out both video and audio.

I've been trying with a Defender cart I used in the cart port cleaning process as well as 

Anyone have any educated guesses what might be keeping my Sears Light Sixer from getting picture or game sound?

Thanks!

I just replaced all the capacitors in the Console5 refresh kit, all with the other Console5 parts, ICs and power switch mentioned above along with composite mod and it made no real difference. The white flash at power on is gone now. There is just a very slight flicker, a "pop" sound from the TV and a low hum on power on. 

Given what is replaced, any likely components or voltages I should check?

Take the system out of the case and the connect it to your display - this is kind of a PITA with Sixers because of the two-board design and the ribbon cable but it can be done. Plug in a cart you know is working (test it on your 7800 first), then turn on the 2600.

Check the input of the voltage regulator (should be roughly 9V DC with the system powered up and drawing current), then check the output leg (should be between 4.9 - 5.1V DC. If that’s good, check the power and ground points (Vcc and Vss) on each of the main ICs (6507, TA and RIOT). If those are all good, then you really should download the Atari VCS Domestic Field Service Manual from Atarimania and start working through the troubleshooting flowcharts to track down the problem.