IGNORED

Holodeck - a travesty of life

karri

As we did get a new 64k eeprom almost working ( @Nop90 and @42bs ). I decided to start on a new interactive game for the lynx that is slightly different. It will only run on the real cart with 64k of eeprom as it will heavily rely on non volative memory.

Christmas holidays in 2020 tend to be a bit of isolated. I feel like an astronaut trapped in a spacecraft. Some spare time ahead. Fortunately we have a holodeck for getting out every now and then...

Follow this thread.

A very limited cart release may pop up after the game is complete.

This screenshot is from Titan. But it may give away what style Holodeck will have.

DIlT3H.png.e4bbf51c28032d6de39a94598996f20a.png

The cart with the 64k prototype is a bit bigger than the normal carts. But it fits in all Lynx models.

64kcart.thumb.jpg.40c9627c26aa5f25353d42bbaf98483d.jpg

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

The 64kB eeprom opens new game possibilities for the Lynx. Can't wait to see your game.

Thanks. The main thing is that you can finally build up your experience and inventory and run longer games.

As a plus I may try to allow the player to modify the scenario and re-play missions. Perhaps even adding companions to the game missions. Or even sync content over ComLynx? So many and so unrealistic ideas.

2 hours ago, tripled79 said:

64 kB? How many MEGA power would Joe from Game Sack say this is?

You have to relate these 64 kB to the total amount of RAM in the Lynx. It is less than 64k as the screen buffesr eat 2 times 8600 bytes, then you have memory mapped I/O. So the real RAM is somewhere around 47k. If you more than double the amount of writable memory is a big deal. But of course this eeprom memory is super slow. So no MEGA powers from Joe.

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

Dont u have some sort of limitation as well on how often you can write eeprom?

Not this time. This chip is certified for arount 10M+ writes per cell. Besides everything speed related like sprites will be in RAM. The eeprom will be for keeping track of objects and triggered events mainly. Plus it has no directory so I can randomly read/write exactly the bits I am looking for.

2 minutes ago, karri said:

has no directory so I can randomly read/write exactly the bits I am looking for.

Not exactly true. Writing 1 byte refreshes th whole 128 bytes page, but 1 Milion of erase/write cycles ensures a long life for the eeprom if not abused

• Like 1

I have a lot of these designs and if the interest is too large for the carts I already have then I order a run of the TSOP cart design with 64k installed. So availability should not be a problem. But I prefer to not keep old projects alive for ages...

I have some interesting ideas of the game engine and the missions. But gameplay is still open. So it will take lots of experimenting before I start working on the storyline and real content. My guess is a Christmas release. In 2021.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:34 PM, karri said:

As we did get a new 64k eeprom almost working ( @Nop90 and @42bs ). I decided to start on a new interactive game for the lynx that is slightly different. It will only run on the real cart with 64k of eeprom as it will heavily rely on non volative memory.

Christmas holidays in 2020 tend to be a bit of isolated. I feel like an astronaut trapped in a spacecraft. Some spare time ahead. Fortunately we have a holodeck for getting out every now and then...

Follow this thread.

A very limited cart release may pop up after the game is complete.

This screenshot is from Titan. But it may give away what style Holodeck will have.

DIlT3H.png.e4bbf51c28032d6de39a94598996f20a.png

The cart with the 64k prototype is a bit bigger than the normal carts. But it fits in all Lynx models.

64kcart.thumb.jpg.40c9627c26aa5f25353d42bbaf98483d.jpg

Please put me down for a cart Karri :)

• Like 2