IGNORED

Last Starfighter not working

Noah98

I bought a reproduction cartridge of The Last Starfighter for Atari computers on ebay. The cartridge looks good, and the board looked pristine when I opened it. I tried it on both my 800 XL and my XEGS, and it's not working on either computer. I just get a black or green screen. All of my other games work fine. Any troubleshooting tips? I'd love to have this game working on cartridge! Thanks!

If its from B&C then I'm sure they will replace it, I can't think of any reasons bar a faulty cart, the program works on those computers and as there's only a few parts in the cart it really has to be a duff cart.

Just tried loads of versions and they do work fine on my 800XL, I did find one labelled "Classics fix" but no mention of what the fix is, thinking it might be for putting it on a Atarimax cart??

Edited by Mclaneinc

On 12/19/2020 at 10:22 PM, Paul Westphal said:

I was down there helping him last year for a few weeks. Maybe you got one I did :)

All jokes aside, He will replace it as he is an excellent Dude.

Stuff happens and he is really busy these days.

I didn't realize it, since it was listed as brand new, but the seller was not B&C. Also, I tried reseating the chips again and broke one of the legs, so it's toast now. I do still have the cartridge shell and board with sockets, lol! ?

Guess I'll have to try to get one from someone else. It would be nice if I could just buy the chips. I do have an eprom programmer that I used to use for nes games, but I have no idea how to even start with Atari carts.

Sorry to hear, as you know the game is a finished proto and is out there in numerous formats (normally not cart though), if you have a SIO2SD etc etc its out there on all the usual sites..Keep the PCB incase someone can help with the eproms as I suspect its the chips themselves that are corrupt..

1 hour ago, Gavin1968 said:

I actually was able to burn it on a 16k EPROM just fine.  If you want to get one I can sell you the PCB and EPROM, I don't have the two EPROM version, just the single one.

Just let me know how much! Is the single EPROM version any different? I assume it would be the same and fit fine in the cart.

13 minutes ago, Noah98 said:

Just let me know how much! Is the single EPROM version any different? I assume it would be the same and fit fine in the cart.

Just got to this link: https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/atari-8bit-8k-16k-cartridge select 16K with EPROM and Yes for Burn Rom.  I will get it shipped in the morning if you get it today.  It is ready to go. I would hope it would fit in the cart, it is a standard card so it should but I am not positive. The picture I posted was of the actual cartridge.

Thanks,

Gavin

42 minutes ago, Gavin1968 said:

Just got to this link: https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/atari-8bit-8k-16k-cartridge select 16K with EPROM and Yes for Burn Rom.  I will get it shipped in the morning if you get it today.  It is ready to go. I would hope it would fit in the cart, it is a standard card so it should but I am not positive. The picture I posted was of the actual cartridge.

Thanks,

Gavin

Just ordered and sent you a private message.  Thanks!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 7:03 AM, Gavin1968 said:

Thanks,

Gavin

I just took a look at this link as I didn't know about it. Wow, this is an amazing service that you have here.

Is there a specific banking scheme (maybe if you have a link to it, if possible, that would be great) that this needs to comply with to work?