IGNORED

It’s okay to like the VCS.

AlecRob

On 5/29/2021 at 11:40 AM, Lord Mushroom said:

I think it stopped working due to a technical issue of sorts. It was a case of bad programming, or something, from the people who made the game. Atari promised to fix it, but that never happened.

Before this falls too far behind in the discussion, I wanted to point out that I'm friends with one of the game designers who worked on Minimum. The company was Human Head Studios, but I remember him telling me about what happened and it wasn't "bad programming." I've asked him to comment on it as it's been a long time, but as I recall, it had to do with Atari being cheapskates and refusing to fund the necessary work that was needed to complete the game and the server side services, which needed constant maintenance and that also meant money, which Atari didn't want to supply. Atari screwed Human Head over to such a degree (including paying them in French stocks, which were difficult to cash in) that it was essentially what put them on the road to closing down a few years later. 

The horror stories of working with Atari in the game development community are plentiful and no, Atari does not have a good reputation in those circles, having burned many bridges in the quest to chase an easy buck. I'll update here if he responds with any corrections/additions to the events that happened from his end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justclaws said:

Polite reminder: the VCS forum has rules, just like, e.g. Intellivision Amico forum.
The line was drawn, a long time ago, now. 

Which rules are you referring to in this instance?  From re-reading @jaybird3rd's post it's not clear what has triggered this polite reminder.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Get yourself a good ad blocker! Then again, I thought I had one and it looks like YouTube changed something recently so I'm seeing their ads again, which I hadn't in a long time.

That happened to me recently too. I am using Opera, and it happened after an Opera update. I have been using Opera´s own ad-blocker, but now I have added Adblock Plus as well, and the ads are gone again. 

On 12/19/2020 at 5:08 PM, AlecRob said:

We don’t have to be corrected or educated about why we shouldn't like it.  We are aware of the alternatives.  We are aware of other options.  Please get off our case.    Let us enjoy the VCS in peace.  

that is all.

This is, IMO, one of the strangest threads I’ve seen on AtariAge. I mean, aren’t most of us in our 40s/50s? “It’s okay to like the VCS?” What a weird title for an adult to write to other adults.  This is the kind of stuff I say to my 5 year old when they have disagreements with other kids. I am really into underground Scandinavian Death Metal, which doesn’t have many fans, and I often hear the “it’s just noise!” arguments. But who cares? It’d be so weird for me to write a post saying “It’s okay to like Scandinavian Death Metal”. Who would I be trying to convince?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

This is, IMO, one of the strangest threads I’ve seen on AtariAge. I mean, aren’t most of us in our 40s/50s? “It’s okay to like the VCS?” What a weird title for an adult to write to other adults.  This is the kind of stuff I say to my 5 year old when they have disagreements with other kids. I am really into underground Scandinavian Death Metal, which doesn’t have many fans, and I often hear the “it’s just noise!” arguments. But who cares? It’d be so weird for me to write a post saying “It’s okay to like Scandinavian Death Metal”. Who would I be trying to convince?

Haha, you're living in an age where people get their careers ruined for saying jokes on twitter... 10 years ago. 

Also, I quite enjoy Viking Metal myself!  Though I am sure it is not the same, it should be! 

We really do live in weird times, which is probably why I have a tendency to reminisce more about older computers / consoles, while I can still enjoy modern stuff here and there, it definitely feels like too much of political nonsense has bled into the entertainment industry. 

And yeah, peoole needing some affirmation that it is okay to like something is really odd.  But there are legitimately people who will only follow trends and one year will be enjoying some Motley Crue, then next year say it is stupid and be listening to Britney Spears...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

...It’d be so weird for me to write a post saying “It’s okay to like Scandinavian Death Metal”. Who would I be trying to convince?

Yourself. You'd be trying to convince yourself. 

In order to convince others, you'd be better off posting videos. You could then explain your passion and point out what makes SDM unique from other genres, so that others could learn to appreciate it. 

I'm not sure how I'd go about convincing anyone on the merits of the Box. Are the exclusives any good? Is it the least expensive (or most versatile or powerful) all in one solution? How long does the hardware last? Where can I go to try one in person? If you or whoever want one or have one and enjoy that, cool. If not- also cool.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

That's the way it should be.    But since the VCS was announced, a small group of people decided to dominate every thread about the system with derision, mockery and "tacos", and keep that going for years so that it was nearly impossible for people who liked the idea of the system to communicate with each other without having to wade through six new pages of taco posts the next time they logged in.

Why it should be so hard to talk about an Atari system on an Atari board doesn't make much sense, but this thread exists so fans can tell other fans "yes there are other people here who like the system too, you aren't alone"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, zzip said:

That's the way it should be.    But since the VCS was announced, a small group of people decided to dominate every thread about the system with derision, mockery and "tacos", and keep that going for years so that it was nearly impossible for people who liked the idea of the system to communicate with each other without having to wade through six new pages of taco posts the next time they logged in.

Why it should be so hard to talk about an Atari system on an Atari board doesn't make much sense, but this thread exists so fans can tell other fans "yes there are other people here who like the system too, you aren't alone"

The taco posts were funny at first, since the project wasn't handled all that well, but after awhile folks began attacking people because they liked the idea of the Ataribox.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, justclaws said:

For people who want to discuss streaming and VR, it's now got it's own thread.

I am sorry for having hijacked VCS threads a couple of times now. I don´t do it on purpose, it just happens. 

I saw this post too late to post the last post in the right thread.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I am sorry for having hijacked VCS threads a couple of times now. I don´t do it on purpose, it just happens. 

I saw this post too late to post the last post in the right thread.

I fixed this one, but please consider starting (or suggesting) a new thread in a suitable forum, in future, and giving a link.
These tangents are often very interesting, and there are even more people who would be interested, but not in a VCS thread.

For people coming for information, to find an answer or share ideas, thread hijacks, unintentional or not, drives them away. ?
I think we all want AtariAge to remain a Mecca for Atari fans, and not further develop a reputation as negative or for trolls.
Reddit already exists, ha ha. :-D JOKE, Reddit fans!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pacman000 said:

The taco posts were funny at first, since the project wasn't handled all that well, but after awhile folks began attacking people because they liked the idea of the Ataribox.

I don't recall that happening.  I saw it more like making a distinction between a fresh sizzling fajita and a dollar combo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, justclaws said:

New Atari trailer for the VCS shows off some of the current released games, to
coincide with the retail availability of the console. I enjoy ALL these games, also. ?

Shouldn't this be in the Atari VCS info thread?  This thread is for discussion about why it may be OK (or not) to like the VCS.  Moderators, please move that post to the appropriate thread.  Thank you.

BTW: I'd really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to answer the question I raised in my earlier post.  It just pains me to think that a lack of acknowledgement of that question could be construed as passive-aggressive avoidance of the question.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Shouldn't this be in the Atari VCS info thread?  This thread is for discussion about why it may be OK (or not) to like the VCS.  Moderators, please move that post to the appropriate thread.  Thank you.

BTW: I'd really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to answer the question I raised in my earlier post.  It just pains me to think that a lack of acknowledgement of that question could be construed as passive-aggressive avoidance of the question.

This is not a thread to debate "why it may be OK". It is always OK, and people can like what they like and
enjoy talking about what they like in an appropriate forum. 
I posted it in this thread, because these games are among many reasons WHY I like my VCS, as others do.

As to your previous question, I can't explain the rules more eloquently than Jay already did, here.
A general reminder was well overdue, in fact. So, for everybody, the link again.

You can raise this directly with Albert, not here, if you disagree, as these are not arbitrary moderator rules.

• Thanks 2

On 5/30/2021 at 9:31 PM, Keatah said:

I hate the piles of rubble that accompany a collection of consoles, carts, cables, controllers..

I hate the subscriptions and "service" that comes with streaming.

I like roms on a disk, the industry hates roms on a disk.

What's one to do?

Download games on a PC?

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...