IGNORED

Cosmic Cretins From Outer Space!

Retrospect

COSMIC-E <ea5 file 1

COSMIC-F< ea5 file 2

COSMIC-G< ea5 file 3

COSMIC-X < XB game

This is the final release of Cosmic Cretins.  It is much improved with better sprite collision/position detection, the option to have starfield either static or scrolling (in either case it will twinkle different colours), a weapon power-up if you reach level 3, an extra life every 1000 points.  There's 8 aliens on screen, 6 of them will shoot at you.  When you get down to the last alien it'll have something to say.  The end of level baddie is harder than before, firing two missiles at a time, in various positions, when you shoot at it, text appears atop the screen telling you what it's saying.  There's 16 differently shaped aliens, they'll change every level up to level 16 if you ever get that far. Also every level, their firing rate increases making them more difficult than the level before.  The levels are actually infinate, so when you get past level 16 the shape will randomize to one that appeared before, the firing rate will stay the same. I can only just get onto level 4.  It's not a game of any particular depth, it's just a fun little shooter that'll entertain you whilst you are bored. ;)

Edited by Retrospect
new version
  • Like 16

Hi, cool game, and I made a .DSK with all files, (XB autoloads)

Cosmic-Cretins--XB-EA5.dsk

Maybe it´s me, but my Joystick (with USB-Adapter) does not work for it in Classic99.

But the Joystick-Test-cartridges passes OK, other games too.

Will see tomorrow on real iron.

PS: I´ve only used this Joystick and USB-Adapter with .BIN-files before, first time here with EA/5 and XB game

Edited by Schmitzi
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Hi, cool game, and I made a .DSK with all files, (XB autoloads)

Cosmic-Cretins--XB-EA5.dsk 90 kB · 6 downloads

Maybe it´s me, but my Joystick (with USB-Adapter) does not work for it in Classic99.

But the Joystick-Test-cartridges passes OK, other games too.

Will see tomorrow on real iron.

PS: I´ve only used this Joystick and USB-Adapter with .BIN-files before, first time here with EA/5 and XB game

Hi Schmitzi.  So you're having joystick troubles?  Well I'm thinking about making a keyboard version - and here's the good bit - I'm hoping if I do a keyboard version we can have TWO fire buttons..... You'll move left and right with the S and D keys and fire with the J and K keys.  I'm also making the end of level bosses a whole lot meaner too.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Retrospect said:

Hi Schmitzi.  So you're having joystick troubles?  Well I'm thinking about making a keyboard version - and here's the good bit - I'm hoping if I do a keyboard version we can have TWO fire buttons..... You'll move left and right with the S and D keys and fire with the J and K keys.  I'm also making the end of level bosses a whole lot meaner too.  

yes, this would be great :thumbsup: But I see it already works on Classic99 with keyboard, with Q as fire and the arrow keys.

If you didn´t program that, maybe Classic99 takes/redirects this from a possible joystick input ?

Would mean this is a Classic99-function/AddOn, and would not work on real iron.

Will try that tonight.

Edited by Schmitzi

17 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

yes, this would be great :thumbsup: But I see it already works on Classic99 with keyboard, with Q as fire and the arrow keys.

If you didn´t program that, maybe Classic99 takes/redirects this from a possible joystick input ?

Would mean this is a Classic99-function/AddOn, and would not work on real iron.

Will try that tonight.

Well, for reading the FIRE button I always use CALL KEY(1,K,S) :: IF K=18 THEN ..... firing ...... etc etc.  I didn't know this wouldn't work in real iron?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

Well, for reading the FIRE button I always use CALL KEY(1,K,S) :: IF K=18 THEN ..... firing ...... etc etc.  I didn't know this wouldn't work in real iron?

No, I just assumed that :) 

If you have any questions about programming, better don´t ask me  ?

18 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

So I just went upstairs and tested it ;)  The "Q" as fire works, the movement via keyboard not.

(my joystick works great there)

Means, the joystick/fire-button delivers a "keyboard-Q" via the CALL KEY command ?

And, Classic99 adds the keyboard control rigt/left on the arrow keys ?

This way ?

Edited by Schmitzi

16 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

So I just went upstairs and tested it ;)  The "Q" as fire works, the movement via keyboard not.

(my joystick works great there)

Means, the joystick/fire-button delivers a "keyboard-Q" via the CALL KEY command ?

And, Classic99 adds the keyboard control rigt/left on the arrow keys ?

This way ?

I dunno .... probably!  Sorry can't be much help there.  I have a real TI99 it just doesn't work.  It's an ornament.  

I'm getting on with a new version that uses full keyboard anyhow.  I'm hoping to have it working by tonight. :)

• Like 1

I have a question; 

I'm working on another version of the game which lets you use the keyboard, S and D for left and right, and at the moment, H and J for your two fire buttons (you can fire two missiles at a time) .... the problem I'm having is, the player ship keeps moving one way if either of the fire keys are held in place even if you let go of S or D ... (I'm using CALL MOTION as it's much much faster) .... Is there a way to scan the keyboard differently? for example can I do this;

CALL KEY(2,K1,S) and combine it with CALL KEY(3,K2,S) and use commands like IF K1=68 AND K2=74 then move left & fire .... ?

so that I could do IF K1=-1 and K2=74 then stop motion of ship?

Edited by Retrospect

8 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

uuuh my hands :)

grafik.png.95dd1f43fd9dff1aeb04059f28343d11.png

That's a great score!  It's funny that I can make these games but I can seldom actually play them good enough to get a good score, ha!  

In the case of Cosmic Cretins, each new level you get to, they move faster, I'm not sure about the end of level bosses, but the normal aliens certainly do.  They get to the point where I can't keep up with them and end up running into their missiles! :)

• Like 2

Also, I'm having too many problems making a new version that uses keyboard and two fire buttons / two player missiles.  The responses are just too slow and when you fire whilst moving, it keeps moving in that direction if you hold the fire keys down, there's two fire keys to press in rapid succession , and it's just not viable.  If you're able to play the original now then we should leave that version as the one we have :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

Also, I'm having too many problems making a new version that uses keyboard and two fire buttons / two player missiles.  The responses are just too slow and when you fire whilst moving, it keeps moving in that direction if you hold the fire keys down, there's two fire keys to press in rapid succession , and it's just not viable.  If you're able to play the original now then we should leave that version as the one we have :)

yes, just Joystick is perfect. (And with Classic99 as mentioned before, the keyboard works fine)  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Maybe - if DSKx is detected and writable - we can save the highscores ?

Or via Tipi - if detected and connected - on a central highscore-server on the internet, for all games ? ?  :grin: :)

(or collect the data on DSK and transmit them when connected later)

Data to be transmitted:

#GameNameShort #Version #Platform #DSKorBIN #PlayerName #DateTime(if given, or use TransmitTime) #Reserve #Score

If saving of high-scores can be figured out, that would be fantastic.

In the meantime, I've got another game in the works, the working title is "GalaxiBirds" .....

There's 8 birds in space, animated, each bird flaps it's wings at different times to the other birds, all the while there's a scrolling starfield that twinkles different colours as it scrolls ....

You're a space ship with an animated red exhaust flame, and your ship has different patterns for turning left , middle, and right.

I'm in the process of making the birds randomly fire at the player.  It's not really going to be the fastest of games but it'll be enjoyable once it's out! :)

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 3

This is the start of the "GalaxiBirds" project.  The birds kind of work, they fire but not properly yet ... there's the player ship moving and firing ... once the sprite collision detection gets put in this game may be too hard to be playable?  So maybe either get rid of two birds or alter their rate of fire.

12 hours ago, Retrospect said:

If saving of high-scores can be figured out, that would be fantastic.

In the meantime, I've got another game in the works, the working title is "GalaxiBirds" .....

There's 8 birds in space, animated, each bird flaps it's wings at different times to the other birds, all the while there's a scrolling starfield that twinkles different colours as it scrolls ....

You're a space ship with an animated red exhaust flame, and your ship has different patterns for turning left , middle, and right.

I'm in the process of making the birds randomly fire at the player.  It's not really going to be the fastest of games but it'll be enjoyable once it's out! :)

Other then saving scores, are you calling this one done?