IGNORED

Guntech - an indie developer launch title for Atari VCS - (In VCS Store)

justclaws

Guntech should be mentioned here. It was a launch title in the Atari VCS store.

This project was the first to show the Atari VCS developer kit and the game was in development until soon before launch.
He also posted some extremely cool videos, as he added some unique features for 2nd players, and tested it with his kids.
The web-site is here.
https://www.utoposgames.com/

* I have no connection with the Atari company, this project, or the developer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If it wasn't for having seen the dev and his family before-hand, I have to admit I would not have purchased this for $25. That's a lot for this game, even if the game is excellent. But hey whatever I understand the actual economics of indie game dev so it was fine. It is an outlier right now on the VCS Store, and maybe a significant one. Wondering if it is ripe for the first price discount promotion; presumably Atari will be testing the waters in the coming weeks in the Store. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

I believe the Steam version is an early access one that's considerably less developed than the VCS release.

Also, with this being the closest thing the VCS has to a killer app, wouldn't you just charge what the market would bear for it while that lasts?

I *guess* so, but Atari should let people know that. Because I think more than a few have just decided to use Windows or Chrome to play the same game through Steam for $15 less. I do think the title has potential, and the version the developer showed last month on the VCS was slick.

This game just got updated today on the VCS Store. It fixes a bug which was blocking level 5.

To repeat, on the version, the VCS currently is the only platform to have the full game, with multiplayer-support, and VCS classic controller support.
The version which was on Steam, was only a preview, and was pulled from the store.

• 4 weeks later...

Jani just announced a big new update to the game, coming to the VCS soon!
If you didn't buy this game already, the demo will certainly help convince many.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/atarivcsfans/permalink/803609796890008/

"Jani PenttinenAtariVCS Fans - Official
The latest Guntech update is (finally) ready, and is now being transferred to Atari and will be available in the Atari store soon! Nearly all aspects of the game have been revisited based on feedback from all of you who have commented on it.
There's a lot of new content and new gameplay elements. And you finally have some use for those coins you have been collecting! And there are many new levels for those who have already completed all of the existing ones.
The screenshots below show a few teasers of things that are included in the new version. ?
Now, I have a question for all of you who have purchased Guntech and enjoyed it.
I am going to make a free demo version of the game - I know you already bought the game without a demo, so this might not make sense, but how much content would you include in a demo that is enough to make you buy it? Would the tutorial do it for you? 
Personally, I feel the game becomes more fun as you progress, so accessing the tutorial only might not make you convinced. But the tutorial alone is 8 levels and can take an hour or more to play through for the first time, so there's already quite much there.
Any ideas are welcome. ?
"

updates.PNG

I am waiting for this patch before making a video on the game, and this sounds excellent. I would LOVE to be able to control the left-right of the ship using the twist on the joystick, similar to Thrustlander. I think it would make everything else in the game fall into place perfectly in terms of gameplay. Just my two cents. All of these changes sound good. I've been stuck on that Virus level for a couple of weeks that is currently broken. 

My two cents on the demo would be slightly more than the tutorial level, I'd say the first five levels. Reason is it will give you a chance to better understand the gameplay in context, and will show some of the fun without giving away too much of the game. 

• Like 1

There is a new video for Guntech - under the name URG on other platforms.
It's apparently the original name, but Janni changed it for VCS, but now on Steam etc. will change it back.

He's also releasing a demo version which will help VCS owners decide if they want the same as well.

This video does show some of the new features in the update, which is coming soon to Guntech update.

This is a video of Guntech (Steam version called UGS - Utopos Rocketship Game)

He's had a lot of negative things to say about Atari VCS, but as this game is now
on Steam as UGS, he's taken the chance to try the demo. It's more fun to play
on the VCS than you might gather from the video, I think, but it's... interesting!

3 hours ago, leech said:

Question: Should this be considered a 'pre-launch' title, seeing as the actually full launch of the VCS should be in the spring?  I should play it some more, just been too busy with other projects.

I spent a bit of time thinking about this question in December, and concluded that NO, the launch of the VCS happens when units start getting in the hands of buyers, and that happened in December. That we now live in a world of virtual releases before brick and mortar releases is interesting, but I've opted to list the "official" launch date as December 11th, 2020, which is the date that the very first IndieGoGo backers started getting their shipping invoices and Atari announced that it had officially begun shipping consoles to backers in an email. 

16 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I spent a bit of time thinking about this question in December, and concluded that NO, the launch of the VCS happens when units start getting in the hands of buyers, and that happened in December. That we now live in a world of virtual releases before brick and mortar releases is interesting, but I've opted to list the "official" launch date as December 11th, 2020, which is the date that the very first IndieGoGo backers started getting their shipping invoices and Atari announced that it had officially begun shipping consoles to backers in an email. 

'in the hands of backers' should be what that says.  I am treating the VCS as 'early access' like so many games I ended up buying on Steam, realize they are nothing short of broken betas, then hope the developers don't die (yes I had one game where the apparently single developer died) and actually finish the game and take it out of early access.

That is the state of the AtariVCS until they do a general release and it's found on store shelves.  I heard that was supposed to be March, but then also heard Spring, which will probably be the case.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Here's my review for Guntech: 

I feel bad for being negative about the game, but it's just been in a rough state since launch and I've not been able to get into it. That plus either I'm just terrible at joysticking or the controls are in need of some serious work. 

Saved me some money, I’ve wanted to try it but I’ve played other games with that controller setup and I always find them annoying.

I bought this game this morning. I have a few comments about it:

PROS:

1 - The game is a LOT of fun, I mean, I am really, really enjoying it. I haven't got to the point where there's anything that's attacking me (except for lasers and such), but the game is absolutely a lot of fun to play.

2 - Lots of upgrades and different ships, so you can improve the way the game plays and change your strategy. Has a bit of a Star Control / Melee feel to it. Really like it.

3 - Graphics are really good!

4 - Works just fine with the classic joystick.

CONS:

1 - The music is not good at all. No offense to the person who wrote the music, but it doesn't work with the game. Like the guy in the video above, I just turned off the music. Would really like to see an update of the game with a different "mood" of music or soundtrack.

2 - Was not thrilled about it being $25... but I realize this is a boutique system, so I was willing to pay the price.

Edited by 82-T/A
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

2 - Was not thrilled about it being $25... but I realize this is a boutique system, so I was willing to pay the price.

The "boutique system" claim would make sense if it was a VCS exclusive, and/or VCS was actually a unique system when it comes to the hardware. As it is, VCS is really a mini-PC, and you can play this game as f2p on iOS, plus he changed the name to URG and released it on Steam too (costs less: ~20 USD, but it's still silly for this kind of game :))

2 hours ago, youxia said:

The "boutique system" claim would make sense if it was a VCS exclusive, and/or VCS was actually a unique system when it comes to the hardware. As it is, VCS is really a mini-PC, and you can play this game as f2p on iOS, plus he changed the name to URG and released it on Steam too (costs less: ~20 USD, but it's still silly for this kind of game :))

I guess really, I'd never actually buy a game of this style for the PC... I consider this more of a console or arcade game, which is what I was looking for. I also want to support the VCS and people who are willing to put in the effort, so there's that as well.

I really enjoy the game, and I don't think the steering is bad either... I think it adds a twist that makes the game more challenging. But the music is pretty bad... at least in the early levels.