IGNORED

Danger Scavenger - another indie launch title for VCS (in VCS store)

justclaws

From Medium feed
https://atarivcs.medium.com/danger-scavenger-coming-to-the-vcs-994fbbb12425

Again, a nice video on YouTube for this.

* I have no connection with the Atari company, this project, or the developers.

Edited by justclaws
Added note, that I have no connection with the Atari company, this project, or the developers.
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I bought this yesterday evening, as at $10 ($9.99?) it seemed like both an impulse purchase and something special.
It's also available on Steam, but only for Windows only, and at a higher price. That's a nice surprise for me on VCS.

First impressions are definitely positive. It's very well presented, although the size of the text in places may require
either a bigger TV, or sitting closer, or new eyes. (I'm referring to trying it on a 32" TV from about 2 metres away.)
I did notice that on some reviews, they are run at lower resolutions, where on the VCS Linux it's running at 1080p.

Here's a review, I consulted before buying. (Of course, it's not the VCS version, but I believe gameplay is the same.)

On 1/20/2021 at 12:04 PM, justclaws said:

Here's a review, I consulted before buying. (Of course, it's not the VCS version, but I believe gameplay is the same.)

The Atari VCS version is newer than the one in the review coming from early Steam Early Access. There are 6 characters to choose from on Atari (4 + 2 unlockable), the game is more dynamic, there are a lot of new features, so it's even better than in this review, which is positive anyway ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PS. We implemented support for both controllers including classic. It was quite a challenge because the game requires two analog sticks. We made the movement by tilting the stick, and rotation - by turning the stick. Having a standard set of controllers, it's possible to play co-op mode for two players. Danger Scavenger (and VCS) also supports regular keyboard and mouse and standard PC and Xbox controllers.

• Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a new update for the game, fixing bugs, and affecting difficulty.
The difficulty level seems to be a very strongly debated one, and it's often true that developers
make a game more difficult than they realise, unless they have a bit pool of new testers to use...

dsupdate.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

There is another major update for the game today, and the game is on offer with 25% off.
There is a combination of bug fixes, graphical improvements, and new changes.
Also, I noticed that fan activity while playing the game seems, on gut feeling, much reduced. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently picked this up for the Nintendo Switch due to it being on sale for $5. Game's also great on the Switch. It runs BETTER unfortunately on the Switch than the VCS; on the Switch I have not yet encountered severe frame rate slowdown, control chaos, and game chugging, which while better is still happening on the VCS. I am assuming it may just be that the Switch maxes output at 720p and the VCS is trying to run the game with higher graphics. I wonder if the game engine can handle it. 

I think the game could do with some further optimisations on the VCS through the AtariOS. I can get a better frame rate on this game when running my VCS in Windows 10 mode and playing via Steam. I think it might be the Linux build itself that has issues, I’m sure the Atari front end is just a build of Linux but it’s weird that when I play it on my VCS via Steam in PC mode it’s so much better, I believe I’m running it at 720p locked on Steam as with the majority of my PC games I’ve been testing on the VCS recently. I also noticed Guntech seems smoother in on the VCS when played in PC mode. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

From discord

'Update 2.0.7.1 for Atari VCS is now live! 
It contains lots of optimizations, improvements and bug fixes - so that your runs will feel even better!

Here is a full list of changes:

tools Optimizations:
- optimized enemies: their spawning, attacks, AI decision making
- optimized area effects and explosions
- optimized destruction of the environmental objects

Improvements:
- slightly boosted weapons: Plasma Revolver, Revolver, Blaster Pistol
- slightly bigger HUN-73R's dash distance
- Flamethrower is more precise
- controller vibrations work properly

Bug fixes:
- fixed navigation in menus when using both Classic and Modern controller
- input from the knob on Modern controller would sometimes rotate the player using Classic controller
- quickly restarting the game a couple of times would cause massive frame drop
- when too many projectiles were on the screen, it would sometimes cause the controller to de-sync and auto walk in some random direction

We have also added Korean translation as well as updated Chinese language.

Have fun!'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I now have this on the VCS, PC, and Switch, and can say that while I like the VCS version the best, the PC version kinda destroys it in terms of graphical fidelity and game performance. I got it from the Itch.io Ukraine bundle and it seems like it has different/updated (or is is older?) graphics compared to the VCS version. The Switch version plays very much like the VCS version in my experience, but I'm not a fan of the joy cons, so...ymmv.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...