justclaws

Antstream Arcade - on Atari VCS (in VCS Store)

I really enjoy Antstream. In particular, the tournament challenges for short bursts of gaming goodness. 

Have others had a hit or miss experience with Antstream remembering login information?  Sometimes I have to log back in, even when re-entering the app without powering down the VCS. 

Yeah, the past few weeks Antstream has had an issue where you need to log in EVERY TIME you want to launch the app. It is super annoying. Dunno what's going on. 

• Thanks 1

The Antstream Arcade update is there tonight, and although it has not made the
login process (which still needs the joystick and ignores a physical mouse/keyboard)
I hope that it resolves the forgetting details. Time will tell. Let me know your result.

It works perfectly for me. I tried various ways to exit, and it always logs me in OK 
without asking for the username and password again. Hurrah. Now I'll play again.

antstream.thumb.jpeg.f726ab1a4657e9718b409b47df89f71b.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2021 at 1:42 AM, Atarick said:

How did you land a free year? That's awesome.

I had just heard that they offered free play with ads, and decided to test it. Ended up with 1 year free without ads. :)

It doesn´t do me any good, though, as my gaming experience is glitches and/or severe input lag. I play on a PC with a slow connection in Norway.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

I think it is strange they are not offering Sega´s Mega Drive/Genesis games, as they are everywhere else. Maybe they are too expensive for them at this time.

17 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

It doesn´t do me any good, though, as my gaming experience is glitches and/or severe input lag. I play on a PC with a slow connection in Norway.

Try with a VPN, if you didn't already.
It works fine, usually, with 50 Mbits/s from The Netherlands, which most people call slow. It's so relative, ha ha.
I suppose it also depends on the game. I tend to love the ZX Spectrum games, as it was my first computer...
"Horace Goes Skiing". Poor Horace, he spent so much time in hospital, over the years.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, justclaws said:

Try with a VPN, if you didn't already.

I thought those were only for hiding who you are. I didn´t think they could improve my connection speed or get me closer to the Anstream servers.

12 hours ago, justclaws said:

It works fine, usually, with 50 Mbits/s from The Netherlands, which most people call slow. It's so relative, ha ha.
I suppose it also depends on the game. I tend to love the ZX Spectrum games,

I considered using the term "very slow" to describe my connection, and I see now that that would have been more accurate. :) My actual download speed last time I checked was 12,2 Mbit/s and the upload speed was 0,85 Mbit/s.

I haven´t tried many games, but they all have input lag. Otherwise the games have run fine, except once when Bubble Bobble had severe glitching.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

39 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I thought those were only for hiding who you are. I didn´t think they could improve my connection speed or get me closer to the Anstream servers.

I considered using the term "very slow" to describe my connection, and I see now that would have been more accurate. :) My actual download speed last time I checked was 12,2 Mbit/s and the upload speed was 0,85 Mbit/s.

I haven´t tried many games, but they all have input lag. Otherwise the games have run fine, except once when Bubble Bobble had severe glitching.

Oh, a VPN absolutely can help you with speed.
However, for VCS use, you'll need one which works on a router, as the VCS has no VPN support built-in. 😞

The difference is that big VPN providers (like a previous employer of mine) have point-to-point connections
between major data centres, and super-fast connections between them on different continents, for example.
So, where your route to a server in the USA, the number of routing hops can be enormously reduced, also.
The other thing is, each connection normally might take a new route, where a VPN funnels it all one route.

I understand about very slow. It was only last year that I upgraded to 50 Mbit/s, from 16 Mbit/s, where a
Dutch resident with cable connection is widely able to get 1000 Mbit/s, and now Google USA offer 2 Gbit/s.

Certainly where there's a lot of lag, it makes the game unplayable. 😕  (I had a lot with Stadia on my PC.)

Another review of Antstream service, and Rich is very cool and looks more deeply into the service.
I really recommend this video if you didn't have a look at the service already, (and his channel also).

• Like 1

I am curious as to how playing for free with ads work on Antstream. What kind of ads are there? Videos? Pop-ups? Banners? How much of it is there?