IGNORED

Experiences of Windows games running in PC-Mode

justclaws

Hello,

First sorry for my language, I'm not native English speaker and use a lot Google Translate

Is there some one who have install Windows 10 on internal M.2 card at moment ?

I have try multiple times, but failed every times :( Problem appear when Windows try to format partitions (not actived in reality) and install stop when try to start copy files on disk

I have ask support to ATARI but answer is not what I like

Hello, there!
Thank you for contacting us.
At the moment its is only possible to install the Windows OS on an external drive. Please follow the steps found in the following guide:
https://atarivcs.com/content/PC-Mode-Create-Windows-Boot-Drive.pdf
Best regards,
Atari VCS Support.

At moment I'm running Windows 10 from M.2 but in VHD mode, realy better than from external USB but certainly less good that native windows install I hope one day.

If you have advices for me ?

Thanks in advance

BR

Edit :

Sorry I see it's not the good place to post my message :(

I can't delete it from there

Does a moderator please could  move it to the good place

My apologies

Edited by 0_obeWAN
Wrong place for my message, sorry

7 hours ago, zzip said:

It's the same frustration for me gaming on PC.   I started looking for unified game launchers that work with joystick/game-pad only in case I get a VCS.   For Windows,  GoG Galaxy might work https://www.gog.com/galaxy  It aims to unify your library.  It's not clear if you can run it with a gamepad instead of KB/Mouse though. 

A lot of games allow you to fully map the gamepad, and ship with reasonable mappings.   There's always going to be some poorly-written ones that force you to use KB/Mouse for some functions, unfortunately.  

Outside of Steam's Big Picture Mode, I hadn't found any other game launcher that uses a gamepad or even a keyboard to select games.  I don't mind sitting in front of a KB/M when playing old PC games on GOG or mouse based games on Origin, but for the console ports on my PC I do rely on Steam.  And even "partially" supported games can have custom profiles to map keystrokes or even a mouse to a gamepad.

That's why I would recommend using SteamOS (or Win 10 w/ Steam) for the VCS's PC Mode.  The VCS should be able to run low end or indy games locally while current AAA titles like Cyberpunk should be streamed from a more powerful gaming PC.  (That was my original idea for using it...)

Edited by MrMaddog
Whoops, forgot that SteamOS got canceled and read somewhere that it's successor GamerOS doesn't work.

16 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Outside of Steam's Big Picture Mode, I hadn't found any other game launcher that uses a gamepad or even a keyboard to select games.  I don't mind sitting in front of a KB/M when playing old PC games on GOG or mouse based games on Origin, but for the console ports on my PC I do rely on Steam.  And even "partially" supported games can have custom profiles to map keystrokes or even a mouse to a gamepad.

That's why I would recommend using SteamOS (or Win 10 w/ Steam) for the VCS's PC Mode.  The VCS should be able to run low end or indy games locally while current AAA titles like Cyberpunk should be streamed from a more powerful gaming PC.  (That was my original idea for using it...)

I've been looking at different game launchers, and most of them do look like they are kb/mouse oriented from the screenshots.

There is Lakka/Retroarch that has a console like interface.  I'm not sure if that can be made to run arbitrary games, or just the systems/emulators it supports.

I tried SteamOS a while back,  it wasn't very robust for a Linux distro.  It had very strict partitioning requirements, and didn't ship with a lot of tools/libraries needed to make a lot of non-Steam games work,  so you would have to install them manually.    You would be better off running Steam on a more mainstream Linux distribution and configure it so that it automatically launches into Big Picture mode on boot.

I did write my own emulator front-end that supports game-pad, kb or mouse.   It could easily be used to run native apps as well I think, and supports things like game artwork, so that would be an option for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentally posted the wrong video here, in this thread, so I deleted it.

I was going to post a link to this video which is much more interesting for this thread. ? 
This is much more general about playing Windows games with Steam, and direct Windows games, without Steam.

Hmmm, it looks like this is the safe way to get outside... without a drone licence.
I don't know the game, but I was confused by "RealFlight" but seeing a galleon...
It's funny - a lot of whining noise - but it's the drone, not the fan, ha ha. :-D 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

PC mode is a very complicated and unstable thing. I have used it in the past, and I had a lot of trouble with it. I remember I wanted to play League of legends utilizing this mode, and I even went on lolfinity and bought an expensive account to make things more fun. It was not comfortable, though, and it was very hard to play lol with it. I have decided not to play using this mode anymore because of these obvious reasons told myself that I would do so when it gets more optimized and easy to use. I hope this happens in the near future because this mode has a lot of potential.

I don't use PC Mode. I use a boot-loader to boot directly into Windows. Not a beginner project, but once set up, works great.

They are expecting a new SteamOS release to coincide with the release of the Steam Deck. Hope that works out.

Dirt 5 doesn't work with the Atari VCS... just too demanding. But Dirt 3 works great. Dirt 3 is a better game in my opinion and a lot of fun on the VCS.

• Like 1