IGNORED

Pre-order period for “The Sorrow of Gadhlan’ Thur” (Kai Magazine) for Intellivision begins.

Kai_Magazine

For example;

One of the most important items that you need in order to finish the game is the "Fu' kin" helmet, which allows you to perform a double jump, therefore allowing you access to new areas and items.

The instruction manual gives clues about this item. 

It is rather important to know those clues because during the beta-testing stage of the game of the original MSX2 version it became clear to me that it was a very hard item to adquire, given the Beta-testers feedback.

Literally ALL of them said:

"I finally got the f**king helmet! f*ck! that was hard!"

So that is why we called it the "fu' kin" helmet in the game.

True story.

I made it a bit easier to get in the Intellivision version but still you need to know where to look for it and what it does, so reading the manual is very important in order to avoid unnecessary frustration.

Edited by Kai_Magazine
  • Like 1

I ran into an infinite death situation today in the Temple of Willdor(sp?). After a long descent I jumped over a spike pit to a block and attempted to jump over the next spike pit which was next to a wall. Didn't make the jump, and instead of bouncing back from the spike hit it just bounced me straight up and down over and over and since I was in that impact-bounceback I had no control over my character. First all my HP got depleted, and then all my health potions went, and then I was stuck at 0 HP bouncing but not dying. Had to reset the Intellivison because I couldn't figure out a way to get out of that loop.

Just started this game tonight, so far it looks amazing. One question, is there a way to quit the game, after saving it, that keeps the saved game.

I am playing on my mac using jzintv, if I save the game,  then quit using command Q, the saved game is lost next time I try to start again.

Is there a quit command within the game itself?  I have read the manual twice but can'r seem to find this info.

36 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

Just started this game tonight, so far it looks amazing. One question, is there a way to quit the game, after saving it, that keeps the saved game.

I am playing on my mac using jzintv, if I save the game,  then quit using command Q, the saved game is lost next time I try to start again.

Is there a quit command within the game itself?  I have read the manual twice but can'r seem to find this info.

How are you running jzintv? It may be something about a save file not being specified.

7 hours ago, Eisengrim said:

I ran into an infinite death situation today in the Temple of Willdor(sp?). After a long descent I jumped over a spike pit to a block and attempted to jump over the next spike pit which was next to a wall. Didn't make the jump, and instead of bouncing back from the spike hit it just bounced me straight up and down over and over and since I was in that impact-bounceback I had no control over my character. First all my HP got depleted, and then all my health potions went, and then I was stuck at 0 HP bouncing but not dying. Had to reset the Intellivison because I couldn't figure out a way to get out of that loop.

I will take a look into that

5 hours ago, Steve Jones said:

I usually close the emulator by closing the emulator window, using the top-right corner of the window.

Anyway jzintv should save the save file regardless of how you close it (I belive).

Try to use the emulator from the command prompt, without any launcher since that is probably the issue.

18 hours ago, Steve Jones said:

Steve: I'm not sure if this will help, but you might need to add a flag to the command line for jzIntv to save the game to a file. GUIntv is a handy front end, but it doesn't really let you customize the run command. The LTO Flash GUI will let you do that, though.

--jlp-savegame=gamename.jlp gamename.bin

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there!
I made a new rom version.
You now can swap the left and right buttons on the main menu, and fixed the issue that was mentioned before regarding being able to get stuck in a spike trap in a certain location.

Anyone who requested or purchased the rom, please feel free to contact me to request this new version if you want to.

To reflash this rom in the LTO flash will erase your current progress so you will have to start from the beginning.
If you are using jzintv, simply overwrite the old files with the new files and your saved progress should be ok.

And please, do read the manual since it explains how to use certain relics such as the teleporter, which will allow you to teleport yourself to any village you discovered in a second, which is very convenient to travel this huge world map.
  • Like 7

I'm considering getting the new rom and starting over so I can make a proper map of where items are. I haven't played in a while because I've kind of hit a wall (and not one of those green or orange ones). I made it to the Eastern Desert and am outclassed by enemies so I think I might be in a spot I'm not supposed to be visiting yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eisengrim said:

I'm considering getting the new rom and starting over so I can make a proper map of where items are. I haven't played in a while because I've kind of hit a wall (and not one of those green or orange ones). I made it to the Eastern Desert and am outclassed by enemies so I think I might be in a spot I'm not supposed to be visiting yet.

Correct. Being able to acces an area doesn't necessarily mean that is the way you must advance now.

In order to be able to explore the desert you need at least:

-1 magic sword (but having the second magic sword is highly recommended)

-double jump (not mandatory to find one of the necessary items in order to open more areas, but necessary to get all the items in the desert)

-throwing knives (lots of them)

-throwing axes (plenty of them)

-certain book-like relic to open certain magic doors

-lots of HP and 5 potions for extended survivability

-defense ring highly recommended

Please read the manual in order to find clues when you hit a wall

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eisengrim said:

Luckily, i've not made any real progress in the game, so I'm going to get the tweaked rom tonight and start fresh with that one. (I like the option to switch the controlls).