IGNORED

Spirit of the Samurai - in-development (for VCS store)

justclaws

A while back, Atari announced that the developer of this game planned to bring it to the Atari VCS.
As usual, it was announced on their blog.
https://atarivcs.medium.com/the-spirit-of-the-samurai-b7c8704a4d29

It looks very interesting, and despite a failed Kickstarter, the project seems to be going ahead.
It has not yet been shown on the new Atari VCS, but they're only a newly signed-up developer.

Their Facebook page is here.
https://www.facebook.com/KittyQuestgame

* I am not connected to the Atari company, this project, or the developer.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, TheSamurai said:

The game is still in development and of course it will be released for AtariVCS. I cannot specify the exact launch date but it will be during the second quarter of 2022. 

I want to thank the Atari community for their support :)

It's great to have another VCS developer giving direct updates here too.
Thank you!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There is a short clip of the game in the new June 2021 games trailer for Atari VCS.
I give a direct link to the start of the clip - but the whole video is interesting too.
This game is clearly coming soon. ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, justclaws said:

There is a short clip of the game in the new June 2021 games trailer for Atari VCS.
I give a direct link to the start of the clip - but the whole video is interesting too.
This game is clearly coming soon. ?

Honestly I think it's a decent launch lineup. Despite the criticism the VCS has had the past few months about the game library. I recall the N64 and other systems launching with only a few games...

15 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

Honestly I think it's a decent launch lineup. Despite the criticism the VCS has had the past few months about the game library. I recall the N64 and other systems launching with only a few games...

Exactly right.  They will have a few more in the coming weeks.  All that I have played have been very fun and I look forward to purchasing more.  Plus they are reasonably priced.

• Like 1

There's a new video of the game, but sadly it's only released that I can find on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/atarivcsfans/permalink/872441996673454/

Here's a screenshot. I would like to post the video, but I don't seem to be able to link it.
@TheSamurai Any updates would be most welcome here too!

image.thumb.png.4af422a1b148a8e0d0462380a14a314c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post. I was just looking for this game.

Sorry to be the question box lately, but I’m guessing they haven’t implemented a search feature in AtariOS yet? I was poking around in the store looking for it to find this game. 

11 hours ago, Allpaul said:

Thanks for the post. I was just looking for this game.

Sorry to be the question box lately, but I’m guessing they haven’t implemented a search feature in AtariOS yet? I was poking around in the store looking for it to find this game. 

The game is not out yet, and Atari do not announce a release schedule. 
I thought soon, but maybe this was jumping the gun a bit. If I get an update from the developer, I will post it here!

On the subject of the search, though, they do have filters in the store. Press = to set the filter bar options.
You can set the filters, for many things, but it's not obvious in the UI now.

There were several people who claimed there would never be any new games in the store, let alone enough for a search. :-D
I'm feel we'll need a search function sooner than most people imagined! ?

14 hours ago, justclaws said:

On the subject of the search, though, they do have filters in the store. Press = to set the filter bar options.
You can set the filters, for many things, but it's not obvious in the UI now.

Thanks for the tip. A lot of things in the UI aren't obvious to me, but I'm slowly figuring everything out.

• Like 1

The Spirit of the Samurai looks awesome so far and has gotten a lot of hype so far for Atari. So much so that it seems to have spawned a competitor/clone with Trek to Yomi which has popped up for PS5/Xbox. The game looks very similar in play style and storyline. Both are 2D indie Samurai games. Which do you think looks better? Are game developers finally taking Atari as a platform seriously and taking note of it’s games? What are your thoughts?

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Now this does look outstanding! This is certainly up there in visual fidelity with the likes of Ends Reach which should be hitting the VCS this year! Its nice to see some of these games push the system a bit harder than the current games, its more powerful than the Nintendo Switch in terms of hardware and look at what the Switch can accomplish visually. We definitely need a few of these bigger games asap although I'm more than happy with the games we have in the store at the moment. I haven't came across a bad game unless you count those DOS ones from a while back.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:42 PM, TheSamurai said:

The game is still in development and of course it will be released for AtariVCS. I cannot specify the exact launch date but it will be during the second quarter of 2022. 

I want to thank the Atari community for their support :)

Dude, day one purchase on the VCS.  This game looks so creepy and cool.  

• 6 months later...