IGNORED

Chrome Browser Apps, and Streaming - YouTube, Netflix, Prime, Disney, Plex, etc..

justclaws

The new VCS comes with support for streaming 4K video.

At the time of shipping Collector Editions, it supports several services via Chrome web-apps.
It is possible to install Chrome applications also for other purposes. e.g. Discord is included.
- YouTube
- Twitch
- Netflix
- Disney Plus
- Prime Video (Amazon)
- Plex TV
- Apple TV Plus

- ESPN+ (depending on region)

- fuboTV (depending on region)

- Peacock (depending on region)

- Showtime (depending on region)

- Hulu (depending on region)
- HBO Max (depending on region)
- VRV (depending on region)
- Pluto TV (depending on region)

Atari also announced back in August 2020, that the new VCS would feature Plex, following other services.
Free live streaming TV, and 
https://atarivcs.medium.com/what-plex-means-to-the-atari-vcs-and-to-atari-vcs-owners-4fc9d36d3984

It looks pretty cool, and to my surprise, it works A-OK in Europe, as well as the USA.
https://www.plex.tv/

They have a very cool video explaining this. It's definitely a useful thing for me.

• 1 month later...

In other threads, discussions exist about the non-4K streaming of video via the Chrome "links" on the VCS.
I'd just add some information on how this situation can improve, without native apps needing to be installed.

Web-assembly, for those unfamiliar with it, is rather like a new version of Java, but it runs in the browser,
not as an app. It's on-demand, it loads with the page, effectively, and it compiles into native machine code.

A lead Netflix engineer made a presentation about how they intend to use it now it's mainstream, for speed. 
This old article gives some insights: https://thenewstack.io/ready-web-assembly-revolution/

I'm not saying Web-Assembly will solve the 4K streaming speed. I'm saying it could, and I think it's likely.
I don't have the inside track any more than (most of?) you do, but I think this is the direction things heading!
(Who would have believed a couple of years ago that we could play/stream AAA games, via a web-browser?)

• 2 months later...

There is a new "app" in the VCS store - for PlutoTV.com, which offers worldwide streaming
for a huge number of TV channels, all officially of course, and for free. It's a nice service...

Unfortunately for me, although I tried it before, at the moment the service is not working
in Europe. (That's not a problem on the VCS; it does not work from PC or STB right now,
in The Netherlands at least. I reported that to PlutoTV, and wait for an answer.)

Fine from the USA and elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 10:16 AM, marss said:

Chrome is updated ;)

On the 7th of May, it was updated to Chrome 90.x.

Chrome was just updated again today, to version 91.x.
It should have happened automatically, the little "downloading" icon appears on the status bar.

I have a random question. I have been using my VCS for watching HBO max. The app is on the home screen. You just click on it and it loads. For some reason now when I click on it, it goes to Chrome. Anybody have any idea how to fix this? I would greatly appreciate it. It happens when you click on any app.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:52 AM, Dunit said:

I have a random question. I have been using my VCS for watching HBO max. The app is on the home screen. You just click on it and it loads. For some reason now when I click on it, it goes to Chrome. Anybody have any idea how to fix this? I would greatly appreciate it. It happens when you click on any app.

I'm not sure if in all the recent messages, you got a reply.
The Google screen is appearing over the "app", and can be closed with <ALT>+<F4>.
It's a stupid bug in the configuration, and I'm really annoyed that this slipped through when Atari updated Chrome to v91.

I hope this helps you.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 8:52 PM, Dunit said:

I'm having the same issue and Just Claws is correct with Alt + F4.

On 5/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, justclaws said:

I'm really annoyed that this slipped through when Atari updated Chrome to v91.

Yeah, me too.  Super annoying.

I just hooked up my new VCS. Dumb question, maybe, but How do I back out of the Chrome, Netflix and Youtube apps? Once started, I can only use the VCS Companion app to press the Atari button to close them. The back button on the controllers don't seem to do anything, and I can't find an X at the top of any of the screens.

47 minutes ago, Allpaul said:

I just hooked up my new VCS. Dumb question, maybe, but How do I back out of the Chrome, Netflix and Youtube apps? Once started, I can only use the VCS Companion app to press the Atari button to close them. The back button on the controllers don't seem to do anything, and I can't find an X at the top of any of the screens.

Yeah have to use either the Companion app or an attached keyboard/mouse (could just use mouse). 

41 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Yeah have to use either the Companion app or an attached keyboard/mouse (could just use mouse). 

I'm using the Magic keyboard and mouse from my Mac mini. Anyone else use these? It doesn't recognize the scrolling feature of the mouse, and I couldn't figure out how to exit from the keyboard. How did you get the Mouse to exit?

Edited by Allpaul

You are supposed to be able to use Alt Esc to exit apps.  I think you need to use the same controller to exit apps as you used to sign into them though.  So if you used a keyboard to sign in then you would need to use the keyboard to exit as well.  This is another "bug" I wish they would fix as I have multiple controllers and sometimes they get mixed up and I have to power the unit off to exit.

21 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

You are supposed to be able to use Alt Esc to exit apps. 

Thanks for this. On my Apple keyboard, it’s Control Esc. If I could just figure out the scrolling with the Apple mouse, I’d be all set. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hesseloff1 said:

I have a problem when i start Chrome go to update and installing,but when i exit from the app and re enter,the app repeat the upgrade anytime begin start.....

Maybe it's because you enter the app before it's finished updating, or maybe there is not enough space on the system disk.

11 hours ago, Allpaul said:

Is anyone else's Apple TV app showing up on the home and app screen as Jetboard Joust?

Not as of last night. How strange, I've never heard of anything like THAT before! :-D 

I'm not sure if you're aware, (probably you are, but just in case)...
You can uninstall any game/app from the System/Storage menu, as well as move games/apps to another disk like M.2 or USB stick/drive.

14 hours ago, justclaws said:

You can uninstall any game/app from the System/Storage menu, as well as move games/apps to another disk like M.2 or USB stick/drive

I did uninstall and re-install it. Still coming up as Jetboard Joust. Totally weird.

• 3 weeks later...

At various points, people complained that there are not apps for media streaming like Netflix.
I'm in favour of the web-app approach, as with web-assembly these days, apps can be always
cross-platform, regularly updated for the widest audience, and it's safer than having an app
for a small platform. I also heard figures of $1+ million (to several) per platform, for official 
apps which are always need authorisation and/or development by the service, such as Netflix.

In this case, Netflix is no longer usable on my Wii-U, which is actually annoying to me as I
liked streaming to the Wii-U joypad, because I don't have a tablet which runs their app...
https://kotaku.com/rip-netflix-on-nintendo-consoles-1847222623

3 minutes ago, justclaws said:

At various points, people complained that there are not apps for media streaming like Netflix.
I'm in favour of the web-app approach, as with web-assembly these days, apps can be always
cross-platform, regularly updated for the widest audience, and it's safer than having an app
for a small platform. I also heard figures of >$1-several million per platform, for such apps
which are always need authorisation and/or development by the service, such as Netflix.

In this case, Netflix is no longer usable on my Wii-U, which is actually annoying to me as I
liked streaming to the Wii-U joypad, because I don't have a tablet which runs their app...
https://kotaku.com/rip-netflix-on-nintendo-consoles-1847222623

Agreed that universal web apps make a lot more sense. The main roadblock, though, is video quality: Chrome does not support an output of more than 720p for many commercial apps, including Netflix. This is a worldwide restriction done essentially at the request of corporate film and video entities. Until/unless that changes, Chrome will remain terrible for apps unless 720p is ok for whatever source you are viewing it with. 

48 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Agreed that universal web apps make a lot more sense. The main roadblock, though, is video quality: Chrome does not support an output of more than 720p for many commercial apps, including Netflix. This is a worldwide restriction done essentially at the request of corporate film and video entities. Until/unless that changes, Chrome will remain terrible for apps unless 720p is ok for whatever source you are viewing it with. 

Oh, I didn't realise there was a 720 limit. I thought it was 1080p, and I've not got 4K so never tested it.
I suppose the Netflix and other apps on Windows stream at full quality, but I had noticed the difference. :-o 

I hope in that case that we can use another streaming app, but I'd rather Atari spend a few million $ on
games, than on creating custom streaming apps which will require constant software maintainence later! ? 
Difficult.

I was really annoyed when they cut off Netflix/Prime from the Wii, but losing it on Wii-U is just very sad.
My Android 9 table also refuses to install Netflix, so I had to side-load the last which works, but it's meh.

• 1 month later...