IGNORED

Choplifter!

Omega-TI

10 hours ago, Asmusr said:

There is potential for some parallax scrolling, like in some of the later versions. It should be possible just by updating the name table.

What do you mean by "updating the name table"?

Incidentally, I still think the original version is still the best despite the garish colors :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Asmusr said:

I mean that you could predefine enough characters for the scrolling so you wouldn't have to update the pattern/color tables on fly.

So in other words the pattern descriptor table could contain all the needed characters for the scrolling part as well as the matching section in the color table and all I have to do then is update the screen image table to perform the scrolling, correct? 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

So in other words the pattern descriptor table could contain all the needed characters for the scrolling part as well as the matching section in the color table and all I have to do then is update the screen image table to perform the scrolling, correct? 

Yes.

• Like 3

Back on to the Choplifter topic.

There are three versions I know of that use our TMS9918A video chip -- Colecovision; Sega SG-1000; and the MSX1.

You can use RetroPi to try them out through emulation.

Sorry for de-railing the topic with my previous post.  Lots of games were announced back in '83 for the TI that turned into vapourware.

On 12/22/2020 at 9:34 PM, Tursi said:

there is a Choplifter for Coleco that you could swipe the graphics from, it was a pretty big title back in the day :)

One of the most popular and best games on the Apple ][ line of computers. One of the first (maybe the very first) home computer games to be ported to the arcade, not the usual other way around. 

Where does one begin when mentioning the excellence that is Choplifter? Oh my. I loved this game and played it for many hours.

Remember when we sent helicopters to Iran to try to rescue the hostages? No doubt an inspiration for such a title. 

Question:  @Tursi How does one go about swiping the graphics from a Coleco version?

Perhaps they’re defined inside code which is readily available?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airshack said:

One of the first (maybe the very first) home computer games to be ported to the arcade, not the usual other way around. 

The Vectrex's Cosmic Chasm predates it. I've seen that credited as first before.

Which isn't to say Choplifter didn't deserve it. I'm surprised there's not a TI version out there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Airshack said:

How does one go about swiping the graphics from a Coleco?

While the gameplay should feel the same, we don't necessarily need to duplicate the graphics exactly IMHO. It would be nice for a potential TI version to have its own personality while adhering to the spirit of the game.

• Like 2

Was the game entirely joystick controlled? It seems that there are too many commands to make it comfortable using the TI joystick. We have up/down, left/right, rotate and fire. I suppose we could assign the rotate function to simultaneous fire button and either left or right stick. Yeah that would work....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

While the gameplay should feel the same, we don't necessarily need to duplicate the graphics exactly IMHO. It would be nice for a potential TI version to have its own personality while adhering to the spirit of the game.

Totally agree yet I still wonder if @Tursi is aware of some graphics repository somewhere with Coleco images. A while back I studies some football graphics @LASooner created which were creative considering the limited 8*8 and 16*16  grids we have to work with. I got better at drawing images with pixels by looking at the work of others.

Has @Omega-TI started a graphics repository thread for TI?