IGNORED

Favorite game?

Destiny of an Emperor.

As time goes on the more I realize how much I love each aspect of this game and itself overall more than any other NES/Famicom game.

It strikes a perfect balance of war sim management and JRPG conventions. Even while grinding it doesn't feel tedius because of how enjoyable and fast battles and exploration move. It's satisfying to choose a series of battle tactics like an RPG and then just hit All-Out and watch your forces go at it.

Half the bgm tracks are among my favorites from any game and the sound effects really make the battles come to life. Nothing is more satisfying than wading into a long fight and then pulling off a successful An Sha. It also made the final boss terrifying.

With so many generals possible to recruit, they still managed to make each one memorable feel as though they have a unique personality. It's nice that earlier in the game you feel free to put to together any team of your choosing without missing out on anything. It adds to the replay value being able to choose radically different teams with each play through and fans of collect 'em all games can chase after every different general.

The game has a style of its own with just a flavor of aesthetics inspired by an idea of the time period and solid dose of what used to be signature Capcom.

• Like 4

I just noticed that there's a NES board! It's about time!

Tetris

Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2

Contra

Batman the Video Game

Castlevania 1 & 3

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

Jackal

Double Dragon 1 & 2

Vice Project Doom

Gyruss

RollerGames

Isolated Warrior

Gremlins 2

Batman the Video Game

Rygar

POW: Prisoners of War

Kickle Cubicle

Super C

Conquest of the Crystal Palace

Legendary Wings

Balloon Fight

Kabuki Quantum Fighter

Adventure Island 1 & 2

Rad Racer

Marble Madness

Snake, Rattle n Roll

Mendel Palace (One of the weirdest NES games. Nothing else quite like it.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mbd30 said:

I just noticed that there's a NES board! It's about time!

Tetris

Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2

Contra

Batman the Video Game

Castlevania 1 & 3

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

Jackal

Double Dragon 1 & 2

Vice Project Doom

Gyruss

RollerGames

Isolated Warrior

Gremlins 2

Batman the Video Game

Rygar

POW: Prisoners of War

Kickle Cubicle

Super C

Conquest of the Crystal Palace

Legendary Wings

Balloon Fight

Kabuki Quantum Fighter

Adventure Island 1 & 2

Rad Racer

Marble Madness

Snake, Rattle n Roll

Mendel Palace (One of the weirdest NES games. Nothing else quite like it.)

My personal faves are Batman, Castlevania, and Punch Out. I spent hours of my life playing those 3. I also loved MegaMan 2 but never owned it.

My worst picks are Fist of North Star, Data-East's Karate Champ, and Fester's Quest. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Atarick said:

My personal faves are Batman, Castlevania, and Punch Out. I spent hours of my life playing those 3. I also loved MegaMan 2 but never owned it.

My worst picks are Fist of North Star, Data-East's Karate Champ, and Fester's Quest. 

Oh god, Karate Champ is so bad.

The worst might be Super Pitfall or Ghostbusters.

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2020 at 6:37 PM, pacman000 said:

Any favorites?

Rygar - Absolute favorite 8-bit console game.  I never saw or played the Arcade game in its heyday, and was actually disappointed to experience the Arcade original years later under emulation (Via REM!) circa '97, as it vastly differs from the NES port.

I perform a complete playthrough of NES Rygar at least once a year for over 30+ years.  Three times this year.

• Like 5

If you buy a converter cart or make your own, you can play Famicom games on the NES, too, which give you great versions of Galaxian, Goonies, and Nuts & Milk. You can also get solid games like Son son, Battle City, and Kid Dracula. Some games that came out in the US are different enough to get the JP version, too, like Ninja Gaiden 3, which is a bit easier than the US version (but is also the original game - the US version was artificially made more difficult, even if the JP version is too easy compared to the rest of the series) and Salamander (= Life Force).

Other great games not yet mentioned are:

Batman: Return of the Joker

Bubble Bobble

Bucky O'Hare

Goonies 2

Kabuki Quantum Fighter

Kid Icarus

Metroid

Shatterhand

StarTropics 1 & 2

Zelda

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sounds corny, canned, and well downright cop out stupid, but Super Mario Bros 3 still is.  I still can't decide if I like 3 or 4 (World) more when someone has the similar question of which Mario game you like best?

Over the years I've owned a large amount of the carts for it, a few Famicom too, but tried many more through emulation.  So I mean I will list some stuff, and not read others posts so I don't get ideas, but it would help to know what you like or hate as far as style/genre goes.

Keep in mind, some of these range from cheap to sucks in price.

Any franchise game/mascot game with sequels or is a spinoff generally is a wise grab.  Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Gargoyle's Quest 2(GnG spinoff), Kirby, Dragon Warrior, FInal Fantasy, Mighty Final Fight, your Mario, Mega Man, Castlevania, Contra, TMNT, Gradius, Bomberman 2, Donkey Kong type titles are wise choices.  One offs though, things like Faxanadu, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Jackal, Super Spy Hunter(or Spy Hunter), 1943 (or 2), Little Nemo, (Tengens version of) Ms Pac Man, Raid on Bungling Bay, Stinger(it's Twinbee 2), River City Ransom, Top Gun 1 and 2, (Tengen) Tetris are all good choices for at least US stuff to start with.  Anything I missed that's on the NES Classic Edition would be wise too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IntyFanMatt said:

The NES board has been here on AA for many, many years already. Topics have been posted for 15 years, since 2005. 

I don't think so. There's been a NES high score board for years, but I'm sure the NES board has been added just recently. The older topics would have been collected from Classic Gaming General.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, mbd30 said:

I don't think so. There's been a NES high score board for years, but I'm sure the NES board has been added just recently. The older topics would have been collected from Classic Gaming General.

Oh ok. I see what you’re saying. I think I’ve seen the board for awhile now, but you may be right about the topics being elsewhere in the past. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Oh ok. I see what you’re saying. I think I’ve seen the board for awhile now, but you may be right about the topics being elsewhere in the past. ?

The NES board was created just a few days ago. Here's its inception:

What was done was to move the posts from other forums into it. You must have been thinking of the NES High Score Club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Double Dragon 1,2

Operation Wolf

Snakes Revenge

P.O.W.

Final Fantasy

Legend of Zelda 1&2....moreso 1

River City Ransom

Blades of Steel

Destination EarthStar

Rolling Thunder

Bionic Commando

Mighty Final Fight 

BattleToads

Mission Impossible

DragonWarrior 1-4

Gradius

Donkey Kong

Galaga

Contra

Super Contra

Captain Skyhawk

Castlevania 1,2,3

Golgo13

Mafat Conspiracy

Kid Icarus

MegaMan 1-6, 2 is my favorite

North and South

Little Mermaid (trust me on this)

Ninja Gaiden 1-3

Mike Tyson Punchout

Rygar

Shadow of the  Ninja 

Star Tropics

TMNT 1-3

TimeLord

Tecmo Bowl

The Untouchables

Super Mario 1-3

DieHard Special Edition (Not the original)

Batman Revenge of the Joker

The Empire Strikes Back

Twin Eagle

Alpha Mission

Total Recall

Tecmo World Wrestling

WCW

IronSword

Ultima 1-4

Swords and Serpents

SweetHome

Chronicles of Radiata 

Earthbound

Adeventure Island 1-4

Cosmo police galivan

Macross

There is more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

And one of the best shooters on the NES, along with:

Zanac

Gradius

Life Force/Salamander

Abadox

Recca

Fun but not as good as the above include Dino Riki and King's Knight. Maybe Star Soldier.

I have all of those games except Life Force and Recca. Another good one is Twin Bee 3. Also Crisis Force.

• Like 2

So many great games, but my favorite must be Blaster Master. It's just great, with an incredible soundtrack. 

As far as hidden gems go, I love learning about new stuff I've never seen before...like just the other day, Konami's Lagrange Point. Up till then, the only Lagrange I knew about had a lotta pretty girls, lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It seems nobody has mentioned that the Famicom has support for expansion audio. Some Famicom carts have additional sound hardware that gets added to the FC's audio. The Famicom Disk System also provides a few extra audio channels, so it might be worth considering getting a Famicom to enjoy the expansion audio that the NES doesn't have.

• Like 2

My Favorites are:

Deadly Towers*

Faxanadu

Lunar Ball

Magic Jewelry

Gradius

Dr. Mario

Zombie Nation

Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti

Pinball Quest

Titan

Huang Di

Recca Summer Carnival '92

And,  at this point I figure Castlevania, Metroid, Zelda, Mega Man, and Mario games are pretty much a given...Also some of mine are Famicom, but ROMs play on either system with an Everdrive.

*After exhaustive research,  I believe I am one of only 3 people on this planet who like this game, probably the only one who loves it**...(Use a Turbo joystick (as some enemies take lots of hits) and don't get mad if ya never beat it,  the joy is actually in playing it)...Also you'll learn where not to tread, as this may be the only game where just walking over a certain spot, drops you into a dungeon, and if you die, just play again!

**Nostalgia is a Hell of a drug;  It was one of my very first NES games and (having come from ColecoVision and Atari games) I felt Deadly Towers had a great sense of atmosphere, with cool settings and cool (for it's time) music.  Much like Faxanadu, I played it a lot in college and I still really like it to this day. :)

• Like 3